Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:20 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Charlotte’s population is now where Atlanta was in the 70s.

It’s growth rate is likely to follow Atlanta and Dallas etc, but the city really, really needs to make the hard decisions now to avoid becoming the mess of that Atlanta/Dallas/Houston/Phoenix are. It should just focus on smart growth, which would make it a much better city to live in than its bigger peers.
That's what I would like to see myself! I know the suburban counties will probably still sprawl, but as long as Charlotte and Mecklenburg County does a better job of densifying and building high density, I would be happy with that! I think overall, that is what Charlotte wants to do anyway, building up the Uptown area and the areas surrounding Uptown with high density, mixed use development! People seem to underestimate Charlotte and it seems like ATL posters always want to come onto Charlotte threads and pick a fight with the Charlotte folks! Atlanta was in the same position as Charlotte over 30 years ago, look @ where it is now, why can't the same thing happen to Charlotte in 20-30 years? If anyone knows anything about Charlotte's history, they would know that Charlotte is a resilient city that always adjust to different changes, like a struggling economy, shifting from a manufacturing based economy to a financial, energy and research based economy, and so forth! Charlotte is beginning to show signs of recovery, it might not be as fast as most would like, but it is taking place right now! I saw a report on News 14 over the weekend in which it said that NC's housing market is outpacing the rest of the country in terms of recovering housing market, with RDU ranking #1 overall and Charlotte and Wilmington areas also in the top 20! It is not out of the realm of possibility that in 20-30 years, the Charlotte area will have a population similar in size as metro Atlanta, Charlotte proper will have already eclipse the 1 million mark by then, but anything can happen between now and by 2035!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 03:42 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
I think the post-DNC effects on Charlotte will be interesting. Let's see how much of a "game changer" this convention really turns out to be.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Who knows. Few can imagine the type of economic hardship we are about to go through. By 2020 we will have seen economic catastrophe that makes Americans look back at the Great Depression longingly. We will have a very different country by then so its really impossible to predict.
Who cares, it'll all be over Dec. 21, 2012.....only the bustling metropolis of Mt. Airy (Mayberry) will remain.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:34 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
I think one thing people are forgetting is that Dallas and Atlanta MSA/CSA are huge. Southbound295 brings up a good point in looking at what counties are considered part of MSA threshold. Are all of the counties in present day Atlanta there in 1960? Idk, but that would be an interesting metric. As Charlotte grows so does its influence. As I have stated before, if the Energy Hub takes off, and it's centered in Union County, then Anson County will experience growth as well. Even Lancaster might grow, which is also growing due to Ballantyne. Another thing to look at is the NC Research Center in Kannapolis. Rowan and Cabarrus are practically like Mecklenburg and Gaston county, joined at the hip. If that center takes off expect to see Cabarrus and Rowan grow. Someone already mentioned Iredell.
Which means here are the following counties most likely to be included in the MSA:
Rowan
Iredell
Lancaster
Lincolton
Some other counties to watch are Cleveland, Chester, and Chesterfield. I think eventually all of these counties will be a part of the MSA. When this happens the core counties, as in the most dense and most urban counties, will be Mecklenburg, York, Gaston, and Cabarrus. Any county that touches one of them at that time will be either an MSA or CSA county. I did not include Union because this will be Mecklenburg's Cary.

On a side note, I think Charlotte will hit 1 million before the metro hits 5 million. I say Charlotte hits 1 million at 2021. Hits 5 million 2035. I give it 20-30 years due to more counties being added to the MSA. Another thing to watch is Hickory MSA being merged with Charlotte's in the future. That too is something worth considering.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:42 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
I don't see it. There is no job growth in this area. Employment is actually going down. Without jobs, people go elsewhere.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
I don't see it. There is no job growth in this area. Employment is actually going down. Without jobs, people go elsewhere.
No doubt the recession has hurt Charlotte substantially. But if you haven't noticed jobs are starting to grow. I see you also forget that this city and metro was built on entrprenuers. The banks here are homegrown. The textiles were homegrown. Everything going on with the Energy Center is also homegrown. Plus you should know that the backbone of this country is actually small businesses.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:06 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
. But if you haven't noticed jobs are starting to grow. ....
But they haven't. Not only is the official workforce smaller in the area, but so are the number of employed. Job growth is a prerequisite for population growth.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
But they haven't. Not only is the official workforce smaller in the area, but so are the number of employed. Job growth is a prerequisite for population growth.
Look at the numbers since the recovery has started. The job loss has either declined or steadily improved. This is the time for the entrprenuer honestly.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times
Man it sure is good to see the folks from Atlanta come in here and keep us in check. That never happens. Took them record time to get in on this one, too.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:06 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Well then how do you explain the areas high growth rates from 2007 to 2010?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte