U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,641,651 times

Advertisements

The attached article is somewhat disturbing (although not surprising) regarding sanitation scores.

Point is the scoring system is screwed up. Be careful what you think is "clean"...

Eateries get easy A for roaches - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/03/06/2114223/eateries-get-easy-a-for-roaches.html# - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:59 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,077,687 times
You may read full reports for establishments in Mecklenburg County at Mecklenburg County, NC - Digital Health Department. There is a lot of good information there.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:27 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,130,431 times
It's not very disturbing if you actually look places up and see their violations. I looked at several restaurants we frequent and their violations were for idiotic stuff like hanging coats on the same rack as paper towels and cups not being totally dry. I didn't find anything that would have grossed me out at all.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
It's not very disturbing if you actually look places up and see their violations. I looked at several restaurants we frequent and their violations were for idiotic stuff like hanging coats on the same rack as paper towels and cups not being totally dry. I didn't find anything that would have grossed me out at all.
Coastal, Most people do not go into detail of sanitation scores. If they see mid 90's or better they're happy because they ASSUME the place is clean. They also think that restaurants get points deducted if there are roaches around...not true according to the article.

Its point is that a high "sanitation" score does not mean definitely fo sho that an establishment practices cleanliness....that's all....

Old 03-08-2011, 09:25 AM

299 posts, read 509,863 times
We went to China Bistro once and saw not one, but TWO roaches scuttling across the dining room floor.
I actually expect restaurants to have to deal with roaches, but I don't want to see them in my food or running across the floor as I eat.
Blech.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
I think North Carolina does a good job with sanitation scores its much better than the abc system used in SC. After seeing some of the gross ways of some of restaurants on Kitchen Nightmares in other states and if they occurred in our state I think they would be shut down.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,875,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I think North Carolina does a good job with sanitation scores its much better than the abc system used in SC. After seeing some of the gross ways of some of restaurants on Kitchen Nightmares in other states and if they occurred in our state I think they would be shut down.
I don't think they do the same detail of scoring for restaurants in Illinois. If they do, they are not readily available to the public (as in an in your face placard). I really like this about NC.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:30 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,865,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
A can be as low as 88, sorry I would not care to eat in a 88.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:02 PM

Here's a quote from the article. Maybe major roach infestations don't bother people here......It would bother me....

[i]Larry Michael, who leads the state of North Carolina's food-protection efforts, said a major roach or rodent problem around food or food-preparation areas would be grounds for the immediate suspension of a restaurant's license. But local inspectors don't appear to be exercising that option often, as some are finding severe problems and still providing establishments with "A" grades

Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 PM

21,877 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Here's another article for you, Jack. Cleveland County restaurants with pest problems get near-perfect health scores | county, scores, health - The Star Online : The Newspaper of Cleveland County (http://www.shelbystar.com/news/county-53887-scores-health.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or