U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:58 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,722,309 times

Advertisements

I debated with myself as to which forum to start this thread: North Carolina or Charlotte????
Well, since Union County is in the Charlotte metro, I figured I'd start there and see where it goes.
Upon reading a thread in the General US forum, I ran across this link to the top 20 conservative suburban areas. America’s top 20 conservative-friendly counties | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment
NC's only entry on the top 20 list is Union County. I am curious how the Charlotte Forum reacts to this story? Do you agree with it? Do you disagree? Do you see it changing with the rapid growth of the county?
Also, I am curious about the reaction to the article's assertion that Charlotte is NC's most conservative major city. I am sure that there will be many opinions on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I debated with myself as to which forum to start this thread: North Carolina or Charlotte????
Well, since Union County is in the Charlotte metro, I figured I'd start there and see where it goes.
Upon reading a thread in the General US forum, I ran across this link to the top 20 conservative suburban areas. America’s top 20 conservative-friendly counties | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment
NC's only entry on the top 20 list is Union County. I am curious how the Charlotte Forum reacts to this story? Do you agree with it? Do you disagree? Do you see it changing with the rapid growth of the county?
Also, I am curious about the reaction to the article's assertion that Charlotte is NC's most conservative major city. I am sure that there will be many opinions on that one.

Charlotte IS NC's most conservative "major" city.

However, NC only has a handful of "major" cities, and, with the huge influx of newcomers in the last decade Charlotte is a lot less conservative than it used to be.

Union County is/was pretty conservative, but again, with the huge influx of newcomers to the western edges of Union those numbers are changing too.

There will not be "many opinions" about this.

There will be many opinions as to whether or not this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:44 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,785,214 times
It seems sort of silly to produce such a meaningless ranking however one of their criteria is this:
  • How counties have voted in the past two presidential elections
So if Charlotte is the most conservative city in NC as rated by this rag, and Charlotte/Mecklenburg went for Obama in 2008 and Kerry in 2004, then does that mean they believe Obama and Kerry are conservative? (I believe it was the only large county in the state to do this)

IMO, I think people ought to focus on relevant issues rather than trying to cast judgements with simple labels.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:12 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,686,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Are you trying to start another Charlotte versus Raleigh debate? It seems that way to me! Furthermore, I wouldn't consider Raleigh a San Francisco east, either! I don't see much difference between Charlotte or Raleigh, politically!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:47 PM

308 posts, read 529,470 times
How does one know if his/her neigbourhood is conservative or not. My neighbourhood is nice but my neighbours keep to themselves for the most part. Progressives (or whatever they like to be called) have this thing against suburbs. I prefer to not live in the suburbs because I like living walking distance from bars, etc. But they lable suburbs conservative out of prejudice for some reason it seems.

Yantosh, thank you for bringing up an obvious point that others obviously overlook. How can anyone say that Charlotte is the most conservative city in N.C. when the citizens voted for Obama, the Dem governor (whatever her name is), and a democratic mayor. That comment just doesn't make sense.

Also, it was previously pointed out that North Carolina only has a "handful of major cities." Nevertheless, there are very few states with as many major cities as you will find here.

Last edited by newcomerfromuk; 03-10-2011 at 02:12 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,686,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
How does one know if his/her neigbourhood is conservative or not. My neighbourhood is nice but keeps to themselves for the most part. Progressives (or whatever they like to be called) have this thing about suburbs. I do to because I like living walking distance from bars, etc. But they lable suburbs conservative out of prejudice for some reason it seems.

Yantosh, thank you for bringing up an obvious point that others obviously overlook. How can anyone say that Charlotte is the most conservative city in N.C. when the citizens voted for Obama, the Dem governor (whatever her name is), and a democratic mayor. That comment just doesn't make sense.

Also, it was previously pointed out that North Carolina only has a "handful of major cities." Who ever said that my want to understand that there are very few states with as many major cities(not in the same metro areas) as North Carolina has.
LOL-that's an amusing post.

I guess it all depends on what criteria and metrics they used to "measure" conservativism.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:07 PM

308 posts, read 529,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
LOL-that's an amusing post.

I guess it all depends on what criteria and metrics they used to "measure" conservativism.
That is true. Assumptions are never a good measurement though.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:36 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,686,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
How does one know if his/her neigbourhood is conservative or not. My neighbourhood is nice but my neighbours keep to themselves for the most part. Progressives (or whatever they like to be called) have this thing against suburbs. I prefer to not live in the suburbs because I like living walking distance from bars, etc. But they lable suburbs conservative out of prejudice for some reason it seems.

Also, it was previously pointed out that North Carolina only has a "handful of major cities." Nevertheless, there are very few states with as many major cities as you will find here.
Don't forget that Charlotte will host the 2012 Democratic Convention as well! But try telling everyone what you just said and they will always come back and say that Charlotte is "anti-gay" or that Charlotte still has that "Bible Belt Mentality" or Charlotte still feels too stuffy or too conservative, like there is some cloud of conservatism in the air or something! I see those comments on here all the time! Btw, the governor's name is Beverly Perdue, thought I'd let you know!

Old 03-10-2011, 04:24 PM

3,423 posts, read 9,227,117 times
Wow. Talk about a subject I could care less about.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:35 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,722,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Are you trying to start another Charlotte versus Raleigh debate? It seems that way to me! Furthermore, I wouldn't consider Raleigh a San Francisco east, either! I don't see much difference between Charlotte or Raleigh, politically!
Actually, I went to that site expecting to find Hialeah, Florida on the list since it's a first generation Cuban community that's very politically conservative. I was surprised to that it wasn't on the list.

When I found the one entry for NC, I actually debated which room to put it in because I didn't want to start a Raleigh vs. Charlotte debate. I thought that, by putting it in the Charlotte forum, I wouldn't ignite a debate that might be caused by putting it in the general NC forum.
So, no, it was not my intention to start a debate. In fact, in my OP, I made a point of not saying anything to that effect. I don't expect Triangle posters to jump in the conversation and, frankly, the only reason why I popped back in is because it was top story when I logged in. And, since I started the thread, I was curious about the replies.
Frankly, I found it audacious that the writer of that article made the claim that Charlotte was the most conservative major city in NC.
You can relax, I am not picking a fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte