U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-14-2011, 02:22 AM

21 posts, read 17,437 times
I wen't to Piedmont though Monroe, Piedmont, Sun Valley, and Parkwood...all good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-23-2011, 08:44 PM

25 posts, read 21,096 times
Hi all, I decided to rent a house in the St. Johns forest. The schools seem real good and being in a subdivision there are alot of kids for mine to play with. Does anyone know about that area? Thanks to all!

Unread 04-24-2011, 06:26 AM

7,767 posts, read 8,806,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monroemaybe View Post
Hi all, I decided to rent a house in the St. Johns forest. The schools seem real good and being in a subdivision there are alot of kids for mine to play with. Does anyone know about that area? Thanks to all!
I'm trying to think of St. Johns....I believe that was a KB Community and I seem to remember that there were some huge homes in that neighborhood though lot sizes and overall quality I believe left a little to be desired.

The area's great though and I think you'll enjoy it. At least you'll be able to do your homework now and see what area or areas fit you and your family. Glad you found a great place to call home. What rent range are you in over there in St. Johns?

Unread 04-24-2011, 01:09 PM

The rent is about $1,000.00 a month without utilities. I didn't think it was too bad considering apartments aren't much less than that. There are a few homes in that area that seem pretty reasonable so this gives me a chance to see if that's a place I want to buy in the future. Thanks for welcoming me!

Unread 04-24-2011, 01:12 PM

7,767 posts, read 8,806,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monroemaybe View Post
The rent is about $1,000.00 a month without utilities. I didn't think it was too bad considering apartments aren't much less than that. There are a few homes in that area that seem pretty reasonable so this gives me a chance to see if that's a place I want to buy in the future. Thanks for welcoming me!
May I ask the square footage of the home your renting? I'm in the Property Management/Real Estate business and am just curious what $1000/month will get you over there. I've got one close to Sun Valley that's 3BR/2.5BT probable around 1800sqft that is rented for $850.

Unread 04-24-2011, 08:49 PM

I think its around 1400 square foot. It has 3 bedroom and 2 1/2 bath.

Unread 04-25-2011, 04:33 PM

2,108 posts, read 4,279,170 times
While I couldn't live in SJF, we are friends with lots of families over there and they love it. Most times, I don't even consider it Monroe even thought I believe it technically is however, it's very close to Wesley Chapel. It's a tight knit community. I believe my friends children attend Sun Valley Schools.

If you're OK with living on top of your neighbors, you'll love it. We know six or seven families over there and their homes exceed ours greatly in square footage but you can't sneeze without your neighbors knowing it. The lots are very small and the homes built very close together.

Be prepared for lots of children and lots of activities. We spend every 4th of July over there in that community and simply put, it's extremely busy.

Also, when I consider the number of friends we have over there, the community seems to attract a lot of transplants from the NE. And yes, it's KB Homes.

Welcome!

Unread 04-25-2011, 04:42 PM

Wanted to add that I LOVE Monroe - for too many reasons to list here. I've posted on it previously.

Our home is slightly over 2000 sq ft but it's a very tiny neighborhood and there's acreage. I suppose it could be described as semi-rural. My neighbors have llamas, alpacas, cows - you name it. But, we're minutes away from city conveniences.

We are also a close knit neighborhood, with a mixture of transplants and natives.

A lot of the negative comments I read about Monroe are either from people whom have never actually lived here or take issue with the large Latino community present. The actual "city" of Monroe is charming, with a lovely historical district and an actual downtown (albeit very small) however, like any city, there are a fair number of issues with crime.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the same things I see here, are happening in every community and will only worsen as the economy worsens.

I'm an amateur radio operator and use a scanner to monitor what's going on around me and it's astonishing the number of burglaries and stick-ups occurring in broad daylight in so-called good neighborhoods. I can't encourage people enough to be aware of their surroundings at all times, regardless of where you are (which means get your head out of your cell phone) and let go of the "I never thought this would happen in my neighborhood" mentality. No one is immune to crime and not locking doors and cars is just silly.

Unread 04-26-2011, 01:46 AM

Thank you saralee, yes the homes are very close together but for now it's probably better than an apartment. I like the fact that it has a pool and a playground right on site. It seems like a nice place to ride bike or walk. Plus it's pretty close to everything. I'm not too sure about the elementary since it's brand new.

Unread 04-26-2011, 06:56 AM

From what you've stated, I believe you will be happy there. Most families are.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte