U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:38 AM

441 posts, read 1,066,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalideas View Post
from Rochester area-

Pluses- better winters, lower taxes, a growing city with many young families.

Minuses- Much more emphasis on religion here, it does take time to adjust, not nearly as scenic, much weaker public schools, summers are so hot that it is hard to be outdoors all day, and NO good grocery stores!!!
From Pittsoford, just outside of Rochester.

I come from a fairly large family and many of us have moved south for one reason or another.

I would agree with the statements above (the 'religion' part does not bother me...just those who are overly judgmental of those who are not religious). I would add that a plus is the vacations in driving distance (DC to Florida and close stops within 4 hours of beaches and mountains)

I would add a negative of a lack of ethnic diversity on a large scale. There is also a lack catholic schooling and parish options...compared to upstate NY.

My brother moved to Charlotte, then Wilmington. He is back in Rochester. He never was happy here and really missed ethnic festivals. He also just did not like what he found to be a narrow mindedness of the south in general. In addition, he was singe and the whole area just did not click for him. He loves the beach, but moving to an NC beach still did not do it for him. However, the rest of us are just fine down here.

Taben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 05:38 PM

25 posts, read 36,425 times
Do most of you feel that its cheaper to live here than in NY? I know there's more small fee's here like property tax on automobiles. I think you can get more house for your money and taxes are better. How about anything else?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:13 AM

115 posts, read 265,439 times
I'm from the Albany area- moved here 3 years ago this July. I left my entire family and it was a very hard thing to do, but ultimately, the best thing I could have ever done for myself. I've never been happier. I love living here. Yes, I miss my family but they love coming here to visit and I go home every couple months.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,938 times
We are going thru the exact same thing right now we just cant stay in upstate ny any longer we make less every yr as well we are going to try it in tn we have family in fl and ky but I have a job offer there very nervous but ready to make the change

Old 05-26-2011, 12:13 AM

49 posts, read 51,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betruetoyou View Post
We are going thru the exact same thing right now we just cant stay in upstate ny any longer we make less every yr as well we are going to try it in tn we have family in fl and ky but I have a job offer there very nervous but ready to make the change

Why are you people moving to the south, what is the thing that you saw in the south. Why go to other northern states such as Colorado, Utah, Washington State or Columbus, Ohio, Fort Wayne & Indianapolis, Indiana, Chicago, IL

Old 05-26-2011, 05:44 AM

183 posts, read 331,004 times
I spent the first 25 years of my life in Rochester. Moving here was one of the best things I ever did.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:39 AM

95 posts, read 214,473 times
Default from Oneonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroemaybe View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone would like to share your experience with moving down south. My husband has a chance to relocate down there for a better job. Unfortunately I have to give up my job which I have been with for 12 years and I can't complain about the pay. We don't like the weather here, of course no one does but we own a house and our taxes are crazy. Every year we make less because of the taxes. I have been to Myrtle Beach alot of times, even got married there but I don't have alot of experience with North Carolina. My brother in law relocated there and loves it but I will be leaving my family behind for a few years until retirement. Thank you to all for sharing your stories.
I have been here for 15 years and I love it , it took about a year to get used to it but i wouldn't go back if you paid me.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:32 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,700,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentmassey View Post
Why are you people moving to the south, what is the thing that you saw in the south. Why go to other northern states such as Colorado, Utah, Washington State or Columbus, Ohio, Fort Wayne & Indianapolis, Indiana, Chicago, IL
Apparently, someone needs an atlas! And perhaps a reading lesson. The OP stated that the spouse has a job transfer not that it's really any of your business why someone moves anywhere.

Anyway....

Moving is an adjustment. There will be a homesick period. Mine hit me about 5 months after we moved. My favorite time of year was autumn in Upstate NY and the Finger Lakes. So much to see and do and the weather is just awesome that time of year. Apple and pumpkins needing picking. Just a lot of fun activities that don't happen year round.

I was having a very hard time with not being able to do all of those traditions we had. I went back to NY and Cape Cod to see some family and friends for a week or so. When I came home, I knew I was home. Yes, I missed things. But such is life and life had moved on.

A few weeks later we took a family vacation and rented a cabin near Asheville. We didn't know what we were going to do except relax and look at the leaves. That's where I knew leaves changed color. They do in my area, but they turn dead brown....not orange, yellow, or red!

While in the mountains we found all kinds of brochures for places to see and things to do. I found a ton of farm stands and the biggest apples I've ever seen. Going there and spending a week in the Smokies was the cheapest therapy I could have ever had!

I got over my homesickness quickly. I haven't been back to NY since September 2010 and people are bugging me to come up. I really have no interest in going back up there....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or