Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 PM

448 posts, read 1,855,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
Having moved here from South Florida, I am missing Cuban food. I know the market here for that isn't the same as South Florida, but are there any Cuban restaurants (even if they are fast food) in the area?
I hear that Taste of Havana on the East side of the city is actually owned by a Nicaraguan lady. No wonder I've read so many bad reviews about the place. It's like me trying to make a taco......not in my genes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 05:39 AM

3 posts, read 11,219 times
Default New Cuban Cafe in Concord

There is a small Cuban cafe in downtown Concord on Corban Ave. Just opened yesterday. Its called Havana-Carolina Cafe, they are only serving sandwiches and pastries at this time. Its supposed to grow into something bigger with full lunch and dinner menu soon!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:56 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,909,641 times
Default La Gran Havana

First of all, let me say that I have never been to Cuba, nor have I eaten Cuban food in South Florida. Having said that, I will say that I love the pork tenderloin with mango sauce, the ceviche and the flan at La Gran Havana. These may not be great Cuban, but IMO they are good tasting food.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:09 AM

87 posts, read 285,621 times
Not a cuban restaurant...but Jimmy's Restaurant in Mint Hill has a great cuban sandwich. I used to live in Tampa where the Cuban sandwich is pretty much a staple - and Jimmy's compares nicely. They are off of HWY 51 just west/south of the Mint Hill Intersection (in front of Lowe's Foods).

Also, if you have a birthday - go there for breakfast. The manager sings Happy Birthday to you at your table.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:59 AM

448 posts, read 1,855,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
First of all, let me say that I have never been to Cuba, nor have I eaten Cuban food in South Florida. Having said that, I will say that I love the pork tenderloin with mango sauce, the ceviche and the flan at La Gran Havana. These may not be great Cuban, but IMO they are good tasting food.
Ceviche is not Cuban food, it originates from Peru. But pork is for sure something we know how to cook! hmmm hmmm

Old 10-17-2007, 11:20 AM

693 posts, read 2,175,639 times
If it helps... I have the original black beans recipe from the South Florida (Boca) restaurant called Padrino's. Some of the best Cuban food I have ever had, and since I move I make it all the time. They published it in the Sun Sentinel a bunch of years back.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:05 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,909,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
Ceviche is not Cuban food, it originates from Peru.
I agree that ceviche is definitely not Cuban, nor, I think is flan. However, both of these are extensively served in Latin American restaurants and for me are usually indicators of the authenticity and quality of the food.

My husband reminded me, BTW, that the flan is coconut flan - yum!

Old 10-17-2007, 03:39 PM

40 posts, read 148,788 times
This may be a dumb question but those "flat" sandwiches .....aren't those Cuban? If so, I know a new restaurant in Ballantyne that has them.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:58 PM

673 posts, read 2,680,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
If it helps... I have the original black beans recipe from the South Florida (Boca) restaurant called Padrino's. Some of the best Cuban food I have ever had, and since I move I make it all the time. They published it in the Sun Sentinel a bunch of years back.
Padrinos?!!! Do tell! I loved that restaurant. We went to the one in Plantation & occasionally the one in Aventura.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:25 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signs Fast View Post
There is a small Cuban cafe in downtown Concord on Corban Ave. Just opened yesterday. Its called Havana-Carolina Cafe, they are only serving sandwiches and pastries at this time. Its supposed to grow into something bigger with full lunch and dinner menu soon!
Do you know what pastries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte