U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:11 PM

368 posts, read 811,689 times

Advertisements

Over the past few years I've taken an interest in things like fashion, art, design, indie films, and architecture. I follow a lot of blogs, have read a few books, but my circle isn't really into these types of things, so I've never really gotten into it in real life. It seems that in Charlotte, your main options as a single guy in your mid-twenties are limited to

1) donning your best WASP costume and heading to whatever dive bar has the cheapest specials that night
or
2) waiting 15 minutes for each drink in an overcrowded uptown club in your most garish Armani Exchange get-up, unable to hear anyone over the top40 dubstep remixes blasting on repeat

neither of which I'm into.

I realize Charlotte isn't Manhattan or Chicago, but there has to be other options somewhere, right? Gallery crawls, that type of thing. Where are they and how do I get involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 04:33 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,643,522 times
Two resources that may help you. Explore the menus on the left side, then look through the sub categories.

Charlotte Culture Guide

Creative Loafing Charlotte - Events

Here is Noda's website, which may be helpful as well.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:57 PM

^ Thanks. Looking through them now.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:17 PM

182 posts, read 434,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
Over the past few years I've taken an interest in things like fashion, art, design, indie films, and architecture. I follow a lot of blogs, have read a few books, but my circle isn't really into these types of things, so I've never really gotten into it in real life. It seems that in Charlotte, your main options as a single guy in your mid-twenties are limited to

1) donning your best WASP costume and heading to whatever dive bar has the cheapest specials that night
or
2) waiting 15 minutes for each drink in an overcrowded uptown club in your most garish Armani Exchange get-up, unable to hear anyone over the top40 dubstep remixes blasting on repeat

neither of which I'm into.

I realize Charlotte isn't Manhattan or Chicago, but there has to be other options somewhere, right? Gallery crawls, that type of thing. Where are they and how do I get involved?

Great post! I'm waiting with baited breath to see more responses. I've wanted to pose this question as well and couldn't have said it better! If I may add? Where are good live, acoustic music scenes? And art galleries? Indie Films? I know the culture scene there is new and up and coming....any help in guiding us in the right direction is greatly appreciated! garish Armani is soooo 2000..no thanks! Thanks to the OP for this humorous and helpful post!

Old 03-12-2011, 07:55 PM

769 posts, read 1,980,603 times
Meetup.com has a fashion group. I haven't been to any of their events, but if nothing else you might get leads on other events.

Hands on Charlotte has an activity that is basically screening independent films for the Cackalacky film festival - that is a "limited engagement" and I can't remember the exact timing (and you'll see some truly awful, and some truly fabulous films). I had a blast even with the "awful" films.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,643,522 times
Another suggestion, Charlotte’s Young Affiliates of the Mint

Old 03-12-2011, 09:05 PM

21,880 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Kings Mountain does a film festival. Real to Reel Film Festival

Old 03-12-2011, 10:18 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,089,036 times
Kannapolis has a film fest too.

/Home Page - ModernFilmFest

...not that Kannapolis is known as being a cultural hot spot, but I went to the film fest this past year and the movies were great and it was a fun crowd too. Plus, it's at this really cool old single-screen theater. It's in the fall, but I think they also sponsor other screenings throughout the year.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Sunshine View Post
Great post! I'm waiting with baited breath to see more responses. I've wanted to pose this question as well and couldn't have said it better! If I may add? Where are good live, acoustic music scenes? And art galleries? Indie Films? I know the culture scene there is new and up and coming....any help in guiding us in the right direction is greatly appreciated! garish Armani is soooo 2000..no thanks! Thanks to the OP for this humorous and helpful post!
Good to know I'm not alone here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
Meetup.com has a fashion group. I haven't been to any of their events, but if nothing else you might get leads on other events.

Hands on Charlotte has an activity that is basically screening independent films for the Cackalacky film festival - that is a "limited engagement" and I can't remember the exact timing (and you'll see some truly awful, and some truly fabulous films). I had a blast even with the "awful" films.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Kings Mountain does a film festival. Real to Reel Film Festival
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Kannapolis has a film fest too.

/Home Page - ModernFilmFest

...not that Kannapolis is known as being a cultural hot spot, but I went to the film fest this past year and the movies were great and it was a fun crowd too. Plus, it's at this really cool old single-screen theater. It's in the fall, but I think they also sponsor other screenings throughout the year.
Thanks for the links. It looks like there are some good options.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:46 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,914,755 times
I don't get out much, and I am 20 something times 2... but when I need a live music fix I see who is playing at the Evening Muse, but there is a lot of live music in Charlotte. Next stop for me is going to be a wine shop in Mooresville that has live music ( 202wines). Any time I get an out of town visitor I make sure to take them to the Bechtler museum (and now also include the new Mint museum). Check the schedule. I think we went free on a Tuesday evening.

So I am either giving you some ideas on where to go for fun, or places to avoid running into me.. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte