U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:26 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Well, I cannot see that coffee shop doing well if nothing is occupying that large building. Was that a Starbucks?

I also noticed 1 or 2 closed restaurants in the walmart plaza. I honestly never knew anything was over there until Sunday. When your driving on 74, you wouldnt think that many stores are in that area.
Sardis Road North has been a vibrant corner where Charlotte and Matthews borders meet for years now.

People in the nearby neighborhoods can walk or bike to Walmart, the movie theater, drug stores, Harris Teeter or Food Lion, and my favorite - New Zealand Cafe It's a great little area to live in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,075,368 times
Quote:
Well, I cannot see that coffee shop doing well if nothing is occupying that large building. Was that a Starbucks?

I also noticed 1 or 2 closed restaurants in the walmart plaza. I honestly never knew anything was over there until Sunday. When your driving on 74, you wouldnt think that many stores are in that area.
No, it wasn't a Starbucks. Not sure if it was a chain or just some mom and pop place because I don't remember the name. It is true that restaurants have been rotating in and out of there but there are plenty that have been there a while.

I just don't think it compares to all the abandoned places on Independence. Just my opinion.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,278,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
No, it wasn't a Starbucks. Not sure if it was a chain or just some mom and pop place because I don't remember the name. It is true that restaurants have been rotating in and out of there but there are plenty that have been there a while.

I just don't think it compares to all the abandoned places on Independence. Just my opinion.
It was called Caffeine Highway. It should have been called Caffeine Sideroad, because of it's terrible location. It missed both inbound and outbound traffic, because there isn't really any of either on SRN.

I ate breakfast once at Riga's while waiting for some work on my truck at the Firestone, and though it was a little pricey for what I ordered. But it was tasty. Numerous people going in and out seemed to know each other, and the owner knew many of the patrons.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:03 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,370,387 times
Quote:

Walmart originally tried to build that store on 74 on the other side of the Sardis Road North intersection, and move the Matthews Sam's Club into the same center. The neighborhood on the other side of that parcel would have none of it.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
When your driving on 74, you wouldnt think that many stores are in that area.
I missed this part of your post when I responded to it earlier. I think this is a big part of the problem. People don't know about all the shops and restaurants that are in that area. Even cutting through there from 74 to Monroe Road, you can't see may of the businesses.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,008,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I'm glad it wasn't just me who doesn't think the area is going "downhill". Restaurants open and close on a regular basis and that coffee shop was a terrible idea in a terrible location. As for Five Guys, I have been in there on the weekends and it was packed (for a Charlotte Five Guys, at any rate).
That area has been hit with a deluge of closings in the last few months, but as long as there are openings to counterbalance the closings it should be alright long term. However, if more and more keeps closing and nothing opens, property values will decrease and the area will be unrecoverable.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:07 PM

150 posts, read 282,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sardis Road North has been a vibrant corner where Charlotte and Matthews borders meet for years now.

People in the nearby neighborhoods can walk or bike to Walmart, the movie theater, drug stores, Harris Teeter or Food Lion, and my favorite - New Zealand Cafe It's a great little area to live in!
What neighborhoods? There are no neighborhoods in that area, that's the problem... With the exception of a couple of run down apartment complexes, there is absolutely nobody living in that area, and even the apartment complexes are too far away to walk to the Wal-mart, and nobody in their right mind would dare riding their bike up and down those steep hills on Independence Blvd in that area... that would be a suicide mission. There aren't any sidewalks either.

And as for the coffee shop, it wasn't a Caffeine Highway or a Starbucks... It was a Caribou Coffee, and I agree, it was in, not just a bad, but completely stupid location. I remember driving by there and seeing that place when it first opened and wondering why they picked such a stupid location, and I knew they wouldn't last very long. I never saw anyone in that drive-thru.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,075,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrm View Post
What neighborhoods? There are no neighborhoods in that area, that's the problem... With the exception of a couple of run down apartment complexes, there is absolutely nobody living in that area, and even the apartment complexes are too far away to walk to the Wal-mart, and nobody in their right mind would dare riding their bike up and down those steep hills on Independence Blvd in that area... that would be a suicide mission. There aren't any sidewalks either.

And as for the coffee shop, it wasn't a Caffeine Highway or a Starbucks... It was a Caribou Coffee, and I agree, it was in, not just a bad, but completely stupid location. I remember driving by there and seeing that place when it first opened and wondering why they picked such a stupid location, and I knew they wouldn't last very long. I never saw anyone in that drive-thru.
Run down apartments? I think the people living on Galleria Blvd in the farily new places would disagree with you. Maybe you have a different definition of run down than I do. They may be condos, not really sure. Also, on the other side of Monroe there are a ton of neighborhoods well within walking/biking distance of there.

The plaza with WalMart, etc. is much closer to Monroe that it is to Indy.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:

What are you talking about? Pretty much everything west of Monroe Road is apartments and homes. I've lived there for ten years. I put the sound system and TVs into the Galleria apartments just a few years ago when they were built. They're not run down. The ones on Monroe aren't either although they are a bit older.

The coffee place being discussed was Caffeine Highway. Very bad location, and too many time consuming items for a drive-thru-only place. Caribou is still open by the Galleria.

Are you talking about the same area, but maybe in an alternate dimension?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:16 PM

900 posts, read 1,396,505 times
Quote:

Worst post of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte