U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 PM

441 posts, read 1,065,902 times

Advertisements

Mt. Island lake is straight out HWY 16 North/Brookshire. Not overly far from uptown. There are some beautiful fairly new developments with homes 250k and up (way up for water front) and some established older areas in Coulwood and Oakdale.

Harris Teeter Came
BofA Came
Walmart Came

Then...nothing.

Why has that area, in the ever growing Charlotte, not picked up?

I don't think the recession is the only reason. The growth stopped long ago. No YMCA, Starbucks, Home Depot, Movie Theater, etc. Nothing.

Northlake is not too far, but Mt. Island has no identity or anchors. No reason to go out that way unless you live there.

Taben
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:07 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,211,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
Mt. Island lake is straight out HWY 16 North/Brookshire. Not overly far from uptown. There are some beautiful fairly new developments with homes 250k and up (way up for water front) and some established older areas in Coulwood and Oakdale.

Harris Teeter Came
BofA Came
Walmart Came

Then...nothing.

I don't think the recession is the only reason. The growth stopped long ago. No YMCA, Starbucks, Home Depot, Movie Theater, etc. Nothing.

Northlake is not too far, but Mt. Island has no identity or anchors. No reason to go out that way unless you live there.

Taben

In a word...schools.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 PM

811 posts, read 1,643,804 times
ditto --my thoughts EXACTLY

Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 PM

21,826 posts, read 27,079,121 times
That was my thought too. Now that Gaston County has some decent options, that's a better place to look if schools are involved.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:30 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,211,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That was my thought too. Now that Gaston County has some decent options, that's a better place to look if schools are involved.

Yep, Gaston County is moving up with better scores year after year

Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,781,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post

Why did the area stop growing and won't grow? My take is this:
  1. First, two words, "West Charlotte". These two words together strike fear in the White folk of Charlotte. When people hear Hwy 16 they think West Charlotte. (I agree that MI lake has nothing to do with this, but perception is 99% of this)
  2. The USAirlines hub in Charlotte. When Piedmont Airlines opened the hub in 1982, it immediately killed a number of nice neighborhoods in the western area due to the noise from planes taking off. A number of lawsuits were filed that took years to resolve and ended in the city buying up some neighborhoods and tearing down houses. It cast a pall over the entire area that kept developers away.
  3. Bias towards SE Charlotte and Lake Norman.
  4. Long term Charlotte residents always considered the area around the river and the border with Gaston county to be where the lowlife and riffraff hung out. It was also the location of several 60's era motorcycle gangs like the Outlaws and Hell Angels. There was also a bias against Gaston county. This is why development headed into York, Union & Cabarrus instead.
Crescent properties did open a number of communities oriented towards living on MI lake. But there isn't enough critical mass to make a huge difference. Much of MI lake is protected and it's a very small lake.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:19 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,568,454 times
The schools have nothing to do with it.....
Neighborhoods like River Bend and Catawba River Plantation were developed and built. Catawba River Plantation especially offered great and wonderful things that never happened, (thank you billy packer) sales came to almost a halt because the neighborhood was falling apart and the HOA was a mess and then the housing market started to collapse.

That area has become as run down and crime filled as some of the areas off of Freedom. At one time, it had A LOT of promise but just never came to fruition.

The new retail that was supposed to come in at 16 and MHH Rd., never happened because the retailers/developers refused to pay the money necessary to have the roads widened etc.......

It is sad, I loved living out there.

Last edited by sundrop; 03-16-2011 at 11:27 AM..

Old 03-16-2011, 11:42 AM

2,954 posts, read 6,113,776 times
Rest assured, 16 going north of MHH will develop. Land has been getting cleared and it will soon enough be subdivisions just like all the other rural areas of Charlotte.

MHH is not wide enough to take on the kind of traffic that more development will cause. The area is nice to live in (This is my area), but there is still riff raff and problems. Within the firth 6mths of moving to this area there was a fatal shooting robbery at the Pizza Hut in this area. Walmart feels like a ghetto store - I just assume drive WAY out of my way to the Denver Walmart to avoid this one. Some of the newer subdivisions west of 16 were turned section 8, and the crime rates show it.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:32 PM

2,352 posts, read 4,020,718 times
There were a LOT of foreclosures in that area, too. When we were looking for a rental, I checked out an address off Hwy 16, and the whole newish neighborhood was like a ghost town!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:34 PM

900 posts, read 1,393,794 times
HW 16 is a totally gangsta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte