U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:16 AM

216 posts, read 637,463 times

Advertisements

How can I tell what school our place will be zoned for? Someone here helped me out and gave me a useful website for school zoning but it is only for Mechlenburg county. We are also consideringa house in Union Co and Lincoln Co. Are there any other websites? I tried the Board of Ed site but that was not helpfull.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 07:26 AM

153 posts, read 423,126 times
The schools zones change contantly, they are not a consistent variable, what areas are you targeting within those counties?? I feel tha tthe Unioin Schools are a great bet, where are you thinking of living?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:28 AM

999 posts, read 4,248,968 times
here is a link for the district maps for Union County.

District Attendance Maps

Old 07-26-2007, 07:46 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,541,516 times
You can use this link -- you can type in address and it should tell you school assignment.

UCPS School Assignment Finder (http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/schoolassignment/schoolassignmentfinder.htm - broken link)

Old 07-26-2007, 07:55 AM

Thank you. I do not have ONE area in target. I am pretty much looking for a rental house under $1200 3 bedroom, 2 baths, within a 45 min commute to my job off Indepence. I found a few places in Monroe, Indian trail, Huntersville, Concord, Cornelius and one in Denver. I really do not have my heart set on just one place.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:06 AM

51 posts, read 102,422 times
Default Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Berry View Post
The schools zones change contantly, they are not a consistent variable, what areas are you targeting within those counties?? I feel tha tthe Unioin Schools are a great bet, where are you thinking of living?
Hi! I'm looking into the Matthews/Mint Hill area. I was told the Mecklenburg school district is where I should have my child enrolled. Now I keep reading that Union county has great schools. Does anyone have any information as to how they compare? Thanks

Old 07-26-2007, 08:11 AM

153 posts, read 423,126 times
There are many different rankings for each individual county, both districts have great schools and less attractive schools, the taxes are about 1/2 in Union what they are in Meck, but I feel that will change in time

Old 07-26-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienda View Post
Hi! I'm looking into the Matthews/Mint Hill area. I was told the Mecklenburg school district is where I should have my child enrolled. Now I keep reading that Union county has great schools. Does anyone have any information as to how they compare? Thanks
I was told Mech co is where NOT to enroll. I know my sister went to West Mech HS for 2 years when we first moved there and I would not send my kid to that school. My lil brother and sister went to a new elementary school and they enjoyed it but now I am told the school has about 30 trailors. Hmm if you build a new school why not build it 2 story??? In NY all schools were atleast 2 floor my middle school was 4 stories.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:54 AM

51 posts, read 102,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal329 View Post
I was told Mech co is where NOT to enroll. I know my sister went to West Mech HS for 2 years when we first moved there and I would not send my kid to that school. My lil brother and sister went to a new elementary school and they enjoyed it but now I am told the school has about 30 trailors. Hmm if you build a new school why not build it 2 story??? In NY all schools were atleast 2 floor my middle school was 4 stories.
We're from Jersey, so I know what you mean about the 2 story. Now I'm really confused. I put my house up this past week and so far, there has been lots of action. I think it would sell quickly cause it's sure priced right for the area. Now it's time to start looking in NC. The school is my biggest concern. My son is heartbroken we would be moving AGAIN. So I want to settle where I will know he's in a good school.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:01 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,193,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Berry View Post
The school zones DO NOT change constantly. SOME schools in high growth areas have to have their students reshuffled when either new schools open, or the local area of a particular school sees too many people move in to it at once causing extreme overcrowding.

My neighborhood in southeast Charlotte has had the same school assignment (high school) for over 25 years!

Posts like yours only serve to paint a distorted picture for newcomers needing solid info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or