U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2007, 01:36 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,537,570 times

Advertisements

I was just reading about this small, charming sounding town and wondered what its like to live there from someone who actually does live there. Is it as charming as it sounds? What kind of home can you get for $500,000 to $600,000? What are the schools like? Anybody know anything about the private, religious schools in the area or within 10 miles? What is the commute like to Charlotte? I see there is a small college there. Is it a "college town?" What about crime? Thanks so much to anyone who responds. MJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 02:27 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,422,425 times
You can get an amazing home for that price in Davidson. Anywhere from 2500-4000+ square feet depending on neighborhood. You could certainly find something in River Run Country Club, Bradford, Anniston, Old Davidson and more....you will have an amazing selection for that price.

It is a small town with a lot of charm. Davidson College is a prestigious private school in this quiet, cute town. The main street is adorable with book and antique shops, coffee nooks, a soda shop, a Ben and Jerry's, etc.
Yet Davidson is right by Cornelius and a close drive to Huntersville (10 minutes) so you have easy access to the lake, tons of restaurants (not just chain places), and great shopping especially at Birkdale.

I don't have kids, so maybe others can give you more info on schools. However, here are some links for you:
Davidson Day School
Woodlawn School
gracecovenantacademy.org - About Us

The commute to Charlotte is about 35-45 minutes. It really depends on traffic and the time of day you leave. In light traffic I can get from exit 30 to uptown in 35 minutes.

Crime is light. Davidson is a very, very safe town in my opinion.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:33 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,669,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
You can get an amazing home for that price in Davidson. Anywhere from 2500-4000+ square feet depending on neighborhood. You could certainly find something in River Run Country Club, Bradford, Anniston, Old Davidson and more....you will have an amazing selection for that price.

It is a small town with a lot of charm. Davidson College is a prestigious private school in this quiet, cute town. The main street is adorable with book and antique shops, coffee nooks, a soda shop, a Ben and Jerry's, etc.
Yet Davidson is right by Cornelius and a close drive to Huntersville (10 minutes) so you have easy access to the lake, tons of restaurants (not just chain places), and great shopping especially at Birkdale.

I don't have kids, so maybe others can give you more info on schools. However, here are some links for you:
Davidson Day School
Woodlawn School

The commute to Charlotte is about 35-45 minutes. It really depends on traffic and the time of day you leave. In light traffic I can get from exit 30 to uptown in 35 minutes.

Dittos and Kudos!

Old 07-26-2007, 03:24 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,175,469 times
I just drove through it the other day (accident on NB 77), so I had to go up 115 to Mooresville. It is a beautiful town! Small and not as crazy as some of the other towns! Everyone was out walking dogs and stuff. Very nice!

Old 07-26-2007, 03:41 PM

441 posts, read 1,067,390 times
Default Davidson

I have heard nothing but good things about Davidson. It has the whole family AND college town feel to it...very intellectual, yet fun and non elitist.

Schools? Another private one (in Huntersville, so not too far) is Southlake Christian. Also St. Mark Catholic is in Huntersville.

Two charter schools are Children's Community School (in Davidson) and Lake Norman Charter School (Huntersville). Heard good things about both.

T

Old 07-26-2007, 05:38 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,537,570 times
Thanks for all the input. We'll definitely be checking it out when we are in town next week! MJ

Old 07-26-2007, 08:24 PM

889 posts, read 2,846,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post

Davidson Day School
Woodlawn School

I second the "Dittos and Kudos", you did a good job at your description, who wouldnt like Davidson!!!

Old 07-26-2007, 08:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times
they just need to work on the timer of that one traffic light it only allows 3 cars per change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or