Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
We used to go swimming at a neighbor's house, they lived on the golf course.
It was weird. You sit on your patio while strangers stand just on the other side of your property line. You hear their conversations, smell their cigar smoke. It's definitely a strange way to live.
and I imagine there was some ogling going on at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 01:30 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,348 times
We live right on a tee, and really enjoy it. I like having the open space behind our house. It is actually entertaining to sit on our deck and watch the golfers tee off. Occasionally a ball will bounce off some trees and land in our yard, but the house has not been hit. I would not want to live down the fairway or near a green, especially with small children. Seriously, your kids would have to wear helmets just to play safely in their own back yard! Having your house hit, windows broken on a regular basis would not be fun. There are some houses on the golf course that are particularly bad. I have heard that improvements in golf technology (clubs and balls) makes it easier for golfers - not highly skilled golfers - to hit farther, so houses that were seldom hit 10 years ago are now constantly pelted by errant balls.

This is not the view from our deck, but outside our fence, walk to the golf cart path and looking up the fairway.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:06 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,638 times
I use to live on the 9th hole and my only concern was a ball hitting me while I was outside. Other than that I love the fact of knowing that after a certain time no one was out there and we got plenty of free balls.

There was a stream between my back yard and the golf course and it was not easy to jump over and there were also water moccasins (I heard about but never saw one)

Old 03-21-2011, 05:33 PM

58 posts, read 145,664 times
We passed on a number of golf course lots in Phoenix (just a few golf courses out here ;-)) due to their proximity to the tee box, middle (140-240 yds from tee) and end green of the course. To get more specific.

-Early holes are less rowdy than later holes, which are more prone to dehydration and alcohol.
-Homes where the golf cart path is on the opposite side of the fairway are quieter... if you can get trees or a natural buffer, even better.
-I would rather live on a green than at a tee. People do their business on a green and leave (other than the occasional expletive after a missed putt. Tee boxes queue up and is where all manner of trash talking and cigar smoking takes place.
-My least favorite location for damage would be 150 yds out on a par 4/5 on the right side of the fairway. Most golfers are right-handed. Most who struggle slice (right) instead of hook (left). Assuming people hit a straight ball 175 to 250 yds, a slice will cross the line somewhere 4 to 6 houses down. Par Threes are generally much safer (iron shots fly higher and straighter). The same is true for lots that are past the 250 yd mark on longer holes since subsequent shots are generally with irons.

There are great golf communities with good deep buffers to houses and considerate patrons. Golf communities have traditionally sold lots at a premium and tax records in most states record a golf lot as having additional inherent value. For us and our 5-year old, it just wasn't worth the potential pain or living in fear in the backyard.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times
Pull Hook, FORE!!!

Living anywhere on a fairway is just asking for your home to be hit. Note most courses start really early and nothing says wakey wakey like a ball hitting your roofline/side of your bedroom wall.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:45 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeach99 View Post
people do their business on a green...
:d

Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
.....This is not the view from our deck, but outside our fence, walk to the golf cart path and looking up the fairway.
The Divide?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:07 AM

56 posts, read 150,737 times
Thanks for your replies! This is exactly the type of feedback I was seeking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte