U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2007, 09:20 AM
 
1,253 posts, read 4,160,796 times
Reputation: 622

Advertisements

Giving you negative rep. for your merging. GO BACK TO NY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2007, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,662 posts, read 8,669,842 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Giving you negative rep. for your merging. GO BACK TO NY!
haha....first of all i'm a native, second of all, last time i check it was legal. but if you want to make your commute 20 minutes longer than mine, be my guest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 11:40 AM
 
630 posts, read 1,674,595 times
Reputation: 287
People would pull that merging move all the time up in Boston (where I'm from) and sooner or later someone will not let you in and you will go into the breakdown lane or barrels on the merges that have them. I've seen people go into the barrels and I've not let people in so they have to go into the barrels.

Sooner or later or they will put police cars at the end. You will get pulled over and they will ask you where you live and where you are from and then what will you answer when they ask if you knew you had to merge, if you read the signs and why you felt the need to cut other people off. They can even cite you for aggresive driving. I know this, because this is what they do up north and it does work to stop this behavior.

Also some people would get pissed enough that they would hit the merging car in the side when they merge and guess whos fault it is. Yours. The person has right of way to that lane. And if you think any of those people you go flying past every day are going to stick up for you, you must be crazy.

Karma will get you. Don't worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,662 posts, read 8,669,842 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
People would pull that merging move all the time up in Boston (where I'm from) and sooner or later someone will not let you in and you will go into the breakdown lane or barrels on the merges that have them. I've seen people go into the barrels and I've not let people in so they have to go into the barrels.

Sooner or later or they will put police cars at the end. You will get pulled over and they will ask you where you live and where you are from and then what will you answer when they ask if you knew you had to merge, if you read the signs and why you felt the need to cut other people off. They can even cite you for aggresive driving. I know this, because this is what they do up north and it does work to stop this behavior.

Also some people would get pissed enough that they would hit the merging car in the side when they merge and guess whos fault it is. Yours. The person has right of way to that lane. And if you think any of those people you go flying past every day are going to stick up for you, you must be crazy.

Karma will get you. Don't worry.
First of all I'm not an aggressive driver. Second of all, I never said I wait until the last minute to get over. Third of all, I never said it was an issue for me to get over. Fourth of all, I always let people in front of me. Fifth of all, A cop is not going to give some one a ticket for merging from the merging lane (that cracks me up). Sixth of all, I see no flashing red sign that says you must merge 4000 feet before this lane ends. I give myself plenty of time to get over thank you very much. Please get your panties out of a wad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 PM
 
1,253 posts, read 4,160,796 times
Reputation: 622
Just because its not illegal doesn’t mean you should do it. That’s half the reason why we have traffic problems. You force everyone to slow down because you refuse to merge in the designed area.

I agree with the Karma statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 12:22 PM
 
153 posts, read 431,761 times
Reputation: 43
I don't know anyone who lives up here who does not know those routes... Not sure about bragging on the merging gig, and not sure about bragging on routes that are common knowledge. Sounds to me you might just be slightly into yourself... one of the people the rest of us have to really watch out for out there.

But, to each his own.

Here's my hint: Live up here in Lincoln County and just simply take 16 all the way down. Your commute will be easy and you don't have to be rude to achieve motoring happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,662 posts, read 8,669,842 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirrrrrrrls View Post
I don't know anyone who lives up here who does not know those routes... Not sure about bragging on the merging gig, and not sure about bragging on routes that are common knowledge. Sounds to me you might just be slightly into yourself... one of the people the rest of us have to really watch out for out there.

But, to each his own.

Here's my hint: Live up here in Lincoln County and just simply take 16 all the way down. Your commute will be easy and you don't have to be rude to achieve motoring happiness.
If they are common knowledge then why is it traffic free? Is it because people like to take an hour to get home?

Not slightly into myself at, I was just spreading the love around for newcomers.

And what exactly is the designated area to merge? I thought the whole lane was a merging lane? Anyways, I usually merge just after the "Lane Ends in 2000 Feet." So if that is what you mean by designated, then I do just that.

You guys need to relax and unruffle your feathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 03:33 PM
 
9 posts, read 18,005 times
Reputation: 11
Wink City Choice- any one have less traffic?!?!

I am moving to the Charlotte area for my job. I am looking at Lake Norman cities as I am used to living on the water in Va Beach.All these traffic posts are scaring me?!?! I am in sales so I can work from my home office and adjust my daily driving schedule.

Is there one town (Davidson, Huntersville, Corneilus) that is better for no traffic? I am renting a townhome or condo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Cornelius, NC
10 posts, read 20,065 times
Reputation: 9
wow what a great post! Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 08:31 PM
 
673 posts, read 2,434,469 times
Reputation: 322
I was thinking about this post just today when I had to deal with a "merge" situation. I think the reason some people are upset by this is that drivers are much different here. They are much more considerate here than the way they drive in many other states. The thing about the merging lanes is that it is legal to merge over, or they wouldn't have the lane there to begin with. In certain areas, that lane is much needed, because there is nowhere else for the traffic to go, especially upon exiting some of the interstates. Yes, it is aggravating if you are the one sitting in the long line, but if you don't use the merging lane, someone else surely will. Not letting people in when they are trying to merge is just as aggressive as the ones who are trying to merge if you ask me. Sometimes people truly don't know when a merge is about to happen, especially with all the hills and curves around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top