U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2007, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,665 posts, read 6,494,642 times
Reputation: 773

Advertisements

This post will be my attempt to explain the traffic woes on I-77 North from Charlotte to the Lake Norman Area (LKN) in order to help locals find easier routes and newcomers to understand what they are getting into if they work downtown but live in the LKN area, namely Huntersville and Cornelius (Sorry Mooresville and Davidson, unless they build a bridge across the main channel, I can't help you out ). You might ask why I am I giving away my secrets? Well, it's simple and selfish at the same time, yet also generous to those who would like to know—today was the last day I had to drive through the madness. I hope this post benefits all who read and have to deal with this pinball machine. So, here goes...

Scenario: rush hour in Charlotte typically begins around 4pm. It can start as early as 3-3:30pm on Fridays. My route begins at Randolph/Billingsley Road where I proceed to Wendover Rd. headed towards Hwy. 74 (Independence Blvd.). Traffic sometimes rather thick from the McDonalds on Wendover to just after you cross over Monroe Road. I continue to gain access to Hwy 74 and head into town towards I-277. I then take 277/Brookshire Blvd to I-77N. I suggest not getting into the right lane exit until after you have gone over the crest of 277 and can see the exit for I-77N. It's a zoo at this junction, so take your time, put your signal, and someone is sure to let you in the exit lane. Once you take the exit, get over to the left of I-77N as soon as possible so to avoid traffic trying to gain access to I-85 North and South. Once you pass I-85 (mile marker 12 or 13), you can expect nicely flowing traffic for several miles until at the minimum exit 16 Sunset Blvd, but sometimes exit 18 Harris Blvd. But for this scenario, we'll say there is just typical traffic. Continue passed exit 18's on ramp to 77N and merge into right lane. You can take this lane all the way up to about mile marker 21 when the lane ends. Why people sit in the other lanes I don't know, but the lane is there and it is legal. I'm not worried about people thinking I'm rude, because like I said, it's legal. So, after you've merged into the next lane, stay in this lane all the way to exit 23. Again, I don't know why people stay in the Left 2 lanes, but it works for me and I take this lane all the way up to exit 23 then merge left. Once you merge left, you can expect traffic to be lighter and reach your destination exit 25 in about 5 minutes.

I know my driving habits won't be popular for some on this board, because you are probably cussing at me while I'm doing my merging, etc, but that's ok because it's all perfectly legal to do, and you can save your comments to this post because I will be laughing all the way to my house quicker than you...hehe...d

So, that's the scenario on an ordinary day...

So what about bad traffic days? Well, everyday I check the traffic reports at Charlotte.com before I leave from work. Then, I listen to 1110 WBT AM for up to the minute traffic. What I listen for is traffic issues for I-77 Northbound. Sometimes they are kind of vague when they say interstates are heavy. Take this to mean you should take an alternate route. They could also be more specific with saying “backups starting at exit 18, exit 16, or south of Huntersville exit 23. Also listen for accidents at exit 25, 28, or exit 30 Davidson.

The traffic gurus will tell you to take alternate routes such as Hwy 115 or Hwy 21. In my opinion, NEVER take these routes! You might as well stay on the interstate.

So, let me give you some alternatives. If you know traffic is going to be bad, say from 277 on, go ahead and take the Brookeshire to Beatties Ford Road and take that all the way up to Hwy 73, which is exit 25. You may hit traffic when you get to 73, but it will only be about 5 minutes worth.

But my favorite route home sans traffic is the following and is good for exit 23, 25, and 28 people: You can take exit 16 or 18 depending on how bad traffic is. From exit 16 or 18, you can takes Reames Road passed North Lake Mall where it turns into Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road. After you cross over Alexandra, take next left onto Hambright Road, which you will take to stop sign. Make left on McCoy Road to make a left onto Gilead Road. Make next right on to Ranson Road. Make left at stop sign on to Stumptown Road, which will turn into North Cross and takes you all the way to Highway 73, which is exit 25 off of I-77. It's a guaranteed 15 minutes, as opposed to gambling on I 77 with either 10 minutes (from exit 18 to 25) or 45 minutes on a bad day.


The bottom line: listen to the traffic reports on 1110 AM. But since they can be vague sometimes, you need to use your own instincts as well. If you must avoid 77, never take 115 or 21, but utilize Beatties Ford Rd. or the Reames Road route. Personally, I haven't used Beatties Ford since I discovered Reames Road, so maybe Beatties Ford will work best for Lincoln County people.

Also, with the Reames Road route, do not take it all the way to Hwy 21 which puts you out near exit 23. This will bottleneck you, and again, you might as well have stayed on the interstate.

I know this has been a lot of reading, but it's been my attempt to lay it out as I see it and have experienced it. I'm gonna go ahead and post this then review if for errors, but if anyone has any questions, just lemme know!

Cheers and happy driving!

Last edited by carolina_guy; 07-26-2007 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2007, 08:43 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,065 posts, read 40,041,054 times
Reputation: 13286
Hey Hey hey

KEEP THIS A SECRET lol

LOVE THE REAMES RD SHORTCUT THOUGH I use it alot if I could only figure out what that talc like smell is coming from
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2007, 09:15 PM
 
889 posts, read 2,140,853 times
Reputation: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
This post will be my attempt to explain the traffic woes on I-77 North from Charlotte to the Lake Norman Area (LKN) in order to help locals find easier routes and newcomers to understand what they are getting into if they work downtown but live in the LKN area, namely Huntersville and Cornelius (Sorry Mooresville and Davidson, unless they build a bridge across the main channel, I can't help you out ). You might ask why I am I giving away my secrets? Well, it's simple and selfish at the same time, yet also generous to those who would like to know—today was the last day I had to drive through the madness. I hope this post benefits all who read and have to deal with this pinball machine. So, here goes...

Scenario: rush hour in Charlotte typically begins around 4pm. It can start as early as 3-3:30pm on Fridays. My route begins at Randolph/Billingsley Road where I proceed to Wendover Rd. headed towards Hwy. 74 (Independence Blvd.). Traffic sometimes rather thick from the McDonalds on Wendover to just after you cross over Monroe Road. I continue to gain access to Hwy 74 and head into town towards I-277. I then take 277/Brookshire Blvd to I-77N. I suggest not getting into the right lane exit until after you have gone over the crest of 277 and can see the exit for I-77N. It's a zoo at this junction, so take your time, put your signal, and someone is sure to let you in the exit lane. Once you take the exit, get over to the left of I-77N as soon as possible so to avoid traffic trying to gain access to I-85 North and South. Once you pass I-85 (mile marker 12 or 13), you can expect nicely flowing traffic for several miles until at the minimum exit 16 Sunset Blvd, but sometimes exit 18 Harris Blvd. But for this scenario, we'll say there is just typical traffic. Continue passed exit 18's on ramp to 77N and merge into right lane. You can take this lane all the way up to about mile marker 21 when the lane ends. Why people sit in the other lanes I don't know, but the lane is there and it is legal. I'm not worried about people thinking I'm rude, because like I said, it's legal. So, after you've merged into the next lane, stay in this lane all the way to exit 23. Again, I don't know why people stay in the Left 2 lanes, but it works for me and I take this lane all the way up to exit 23 then merge left. Once you merge left, you can expect traffic to be lighter and reach your destination exit 25 in about 5 minutes.

I know my driving habits won't be popular for some on this board, because you are probably cussing at me while I'm doing my merging, etc, but that's ok because it's all perfectly legal to do, and you can save your comments to this post because I will be laughing all the way to my house quicker than you...hehe...d

So, that's the scenario on an ordinary day...

So what about bad traffic days? Well, everyday I check the traffic reports at Charlotte.com before I leave from work. Then, I listen to 1110 WBT AM for up to the minute traffic. What I listen for is traffic issues for I-77 Northbound. Sometimes they are kind of vague when they say interstates are heavy. Take this to mean you should take an alternate route. They could also be more specific with saying “backups starting at exit 18, exit 16, or south of Huntersville exit 23. Also listen for accidents at exit 25, 28, or exit 30 Davidson.

The traffic gurus will tell you to take alternate routes such as Hwy 115 or Hwy 21. In my opinion, NEVER take these routes! You might as well stay on the interstate.

So, let me give you some alternatives. If you know traffic is going to be bad, say from 277 on, go ahead and take the Brookeshire to Beatties Ford Road and take that all the way up to Hwy 73, which is exit 25. You may hit traffic when you get to 73, but it will only be about 5 minutes worth.

But my favorite route home sans traffic is the following and is good for exit 23, 25, and 28 people: You can take exit 16 or 18 depending on how bad traffic is. From exit 16 or 18, you can takes Reames Road passed North Lake Mall where it turns into Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road. After you cross over Alexandra, take next left onto Hambright Road, which you will take to stop sign. Make left on McCoy Road to make a left onto Gilead Road. Make next right on to Ranson Road. Make left at stop sign on to Stumptown Road, which will turn into North Cross and takes you all the way to Highway 73, which is exit 25 off of I-77. It's a guaranteed 15 minutes, as opposed to gambling on I 77 with either 10 minutes (from exit 18 to 25) or 45 minutes on a bad day.


The bottom line: listen to the traffic reports on 1110 AM. But since they can be vague sometimes, you need to use your own instincts as well. If you must avoid 77, never take 115 or 21, but utilize Beatties Ford Rd. or the Reames Road route. Personally, I haven't used Beatties Ford since I discovered Reames Road, so maybe Beatties Ford will work best for Lincoln County people.

Also, with the Reames Road route, do not take it all the way to Hwy 21 which puts you out near exit 23. This will bottleneck you, and again, you might as well have stayed on the interstate.

I know this has been a lot of reading, but it's been my attempt to lay it out as I see it and have experienced it. I'm gonna go ahead and post this then review if for errors, but if anyone has any questions, just lemme know!

Cheers and happy driving!
Dang your giving my secret away, works like a charm form exit 18 all the way to Davidson where i have to get off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,665 posts, read 6,494,642 times
Reputation: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Dang your giving my secret away, works like a charm form exit 18 all the way to Davidson where i have to get off
well, since i don't know your davidson route, i'll let the secret stay with you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,120 posts, read 56,997,117 times
Reputation: 38330
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
well, since i don't know your davidson route, i'll let the secret stay with you...
So if this is no longer your route, where will you be commuting to now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,665 posts, read 6,494,642 times
Reputation: 773
Different places...Mallard Creek and Harris Blvd; Hwy. 801 Mt. Ulla; Bessemer City; and Mt. Pleasant. Some days I will work at 8:30am, others I won't go in until 2:30pm. I start Monday selling land for a land developer/subdivider. Really lookin' forward to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,120 posts, read 56,997,117 times
Reputation: 38330
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Different places...Mallard Creek and Harris Blvd; Hwy. 801 Mt. Ulla; Bessemer City; and Mt. Pleasant. Some days I will work at 8:30am, others I won't go in until 2:30pm. I start Monday selling land for a land developer/subdivider. Really lookin' forward to it!
Well congrats! And good job on the traffic short-cut tips.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 07-27-2007 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,665 posts, read 6,494,642 times
Reputation: 773
Thanks and thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,732 posts, read 13,569,827 times
Reputation: 954
I dont let people in when they pass stopped traffic and then attempt to merge. If I have to wait, you do too, so get to the back of the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,665 posts, read 6,494,642 times
Reputation: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I dont let people in when they pass stopped traffic and then attempt to merge. If I have to wait, you do too, so get to the back of the line.
lol.....to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top