Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a couple heavy duty chaise lounges for my deck. The strap type seen at apartment complex pools would be great, but I can't find any place that sells it locally. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 09:16 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Have you checked at Hearth and Patio on Monroe Rd near Matthews?

http://www.thehearthandpatio.com/pat...ure-charlotte/

Old 03-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

The Hearth and Patio
Not yet, but I should clarify. I'm a form-follows-function kind of person. SO I'm looking for durability rather than fashion. So far I've assumed that a store like that is about pretty furniture rather than stuff that will take a lot of abuse.

Isn't that store close to Wendover?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Not yet, but I should clarify. I'm a form-follows-function kind of person. SO I'm looking for durability rather than fashion. So far I've assumed that a store like that is about pretty furniture rather than stuff that will take a lot of abuse.

Isn't that store close to Wendover?
The furniture seems very hardy from the pics on the website, but it's been a few years since I've been in the place. Yes, it is closer to Wendover.

There was a place in Matthews too, The Patio Place I think?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:49 PM

58 posts, read 145,621 times
You might check the West Marine catalog if you want heavy duty form over function.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
You are most likely talking about strapped cast aluminum lawn furniture with a baked automobile like finish. Individual parts are cast then hand welded together. I bought some at the Firehouse Casual Living Store about 21 years ago. It was expensive even then, but the stuff is as sturdy now as it was when I bought it and still looks good. I also scored some that was made in the 70s for $1/piece from a condo-tel that was remodeling. I had to re-strap it mainly because the straps were stained, but they will probably last 25-50 years.

This kind of furniture is really hard to find now because they seem to only make lawn furniture in China these days. Forget Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target etc. as they only sell cheaply built stuff (though not cheap here when sold) out of powder coated steel & plastic. And its not really that comfortable. If the Firehouse no longer carries it, maybe they might know a place that does, or start searching the auctions and flea markets.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
I would contact a pool management company since they supply the apt. complexes and neighborhoods with their chairs. My neighborhood uses Carolina Pool Management and when we need them replaced, I just call the Tech on staff and they bring them right out. They're not that expensive either and last for quite some time. Let me know if you need a #

Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
My sister puchased aluminum outdoor furniture for her patio at Old Time Pottery. It had to be sturdy to hold her husband weight.
Seasonal | Old Time Pottery

Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

The Hearth and Patio
Went there yesterday. Spoke with (one of the?) owner(s). Very nice guy. But after showing me the differences between the $270 chair and the $400 chair, I decided that if that's all I can get for hundreds of dollars, I'll just sit on the deck itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
You are most likely talking about strapped cast aluminum lawn furniture with a baked automobile like finish. Individual parts are cast then hand welded together. I bought some at the Firehouse Casual Living Store about 21 years ago. It was expensive even then, but the stuff is as sturdy now as it was when I bought it and still looks good. I also scored some that was made in the 70s for $1/piece from a condo-tel that was remodeling. I had to re-strap it mainly because the straps were stained, but they will probably last 25-50 years.

This kind of furniture is really hard to find now because they seem to only make lawn furniture in China these days. Forget Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target etc. as they only sell cheaply built stuff (though not cheap here when sold) out of powder coated steel & plastic. And its not really that comfortable. If the Firehouse no longer carries it, maybe they might know a place that does, or start searching the auctions and flea markets.
Actually the stuff I want is tubular aluminum with horizontal vinyl straps. I've seen at just about every apartment complex I've been to. It's simple, durable, and the chairs are in the $150 range. But shipping for one is as much as the chair, or I need to buy 4 or more. I want 2 at the most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeach99 View Post
You might check the West Marine catalog if you want heavy duty form over function.
Did it, they had no chairs anywhere close to what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
My sister puchased aluminum outdoor furniture for her patio at Old Time Pottery. It had to be sturdy to hold her husband weight.
Seasonal | Old Time Pottery
Went there today. They're out and weren't sure when they were coming back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I would contact a pool management company since they supply the apt. complexes and neighborhoods with their chairs. My neighborhood uses Carolina Pool Management and when we need them replaced, I just call the Tech on staff and they bring them right out. They're not that expensive either and last for quite some time. Let me know if you need a #
I found their website and left a message today.

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately this may not be meant to be. Or I gotta spend more than I want to.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,904,497 times
Do you have a Sam's Club membership? I was there a couple of days ago and they had nice looking lounge chairs (Pineville location). They were about $115 each. If you don't have a membership, you can still get in as a guest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte