U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:48 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,697,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
.... What they really want is to extend Acela to Charlotte. ...
There is absolutely no plan or desire to do this. Acela is also of a compromised design that is specific to the old track rows in use in the NE. They have no plans to install this train anywhere else. For the last 15 years, the only plan on the books for Charlotte has been the SEHSR which is the current plan to increase train speed to 110mph. There are not any plans beyond that. Points between Charlotte and Atlanta won't even get this much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 AM

20,510 posts, read 25,724,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
There is absolutely no plan or desire to do this. Acela is also of a compromised design that is specific to the old track rows in use in the NE. They have no plans to install this train anywhere else. For the last 15 years, the only plan on the books for Charlotte has been the SEHSR which is the current plan to increase train speed to 110mph. There are not any plans beyond that. Points between Charlotte and Atlanta won't even get this much.
Argue until you turn green with purple polka dots if you wish. Extending Acela to Charlotte

Old 05-11-2011, 11:58 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,870,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
While I'm glad we got some money, I am a bit disappointed with the amount. It seems that others don't view the the SEHSR as an important enough region in which to invest HSR. But I do understand that it could be viewed as that way if SC and GA are not on board.
I think you have to keep the funding in perspective. We've already gotten over $500 million total which is really all that's needed to build the line to Raleigh. When we got the most recent $400 million, many people were shocked and surprised more money didn't go to the lines in the Northeast. We asked for an additonal $600 million of the $2 billion Florida turned away. It was going to be used for stuff that I would say was not necessary like building some new stations in smaller towns. That was a stretch. I'm actually surprised we even got anything at all. This was a token award in my opinioin where they said, "Look, we already gave your greedy az$s $500 million! How much more do you want? Oh well, here take this $4.0 million", LOL!!!!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
It's not that simple, not at all. At the moment, the NCDOT has no funding plans for commuter rail in Mecklenburg including the commuter rail portion of gateway station. If that project is ever approved, the NCDOT has said that it will fund no more than 25% of the cost and then only if approved by the entire NC Legislature. The rest will have to come from elsewhere. Originally the plan to cover the other 75% was for CATS to pay 25% and the Fed to pay 50%. CATS now has no money to do this and the Fed says it doesn't qualify for federal funding. Furthermore, several of the local members of the NC Legislature, including, I do believe the current Speaker of the House, has said they won't vote for more NC funding for local rail. So this project is essentially dead and what happens with the HSR project is irrelevant to it.

To answer your question I did read what you posted, but just because you typed it, doesn't mean it has any bearing in reality. I just gave you the details of how it works and it's not meant to be argumentative.
I'm sure that you thought that you were right when you wrote this, but you were dead wrong, as you accused me of being. The Gastonia line will be open within the year. I don't know when it will be extended to Kings Mountain & never professed to know, but the Gastonia line is on. Here's the proof, since I know that you won't believe me. P&N rail line could be carrying trains by September - Gaston Gazette (http://www.gastongazette.com/news/-57465--.html - broken link)

So the Gateway station wil be making room for a train from Gastonia.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Argue until you turn green with purple polka dots if you wish. Extending Acela to Charlotte
Haha, are you kidding? This is a link to your own rumor where you provided absolutely no proof.

None the less, there is no argument. The entire history of high speed rail is documented public record and can be seen here. As you can see they started work on it in 1992 and the record of decision on the plan being built today was made in 2002. There has not been nor will there ever be a plan to bring Acela to this route. Period.

Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor > Project Description

They decided more than a decade ago that building anything faster than 110 max trains would not be cost effective. They have decided to update the present freight tracks between Charlotte & Richmond, and then push those Amtrak diesel locomotives to their maximum speed of around 90mph. Here is the relevant parts from the 2002 record of decisions. HSR 125+ requires dedicated passenger tracks which they are not building.
9. How fast will the high speed trains go through my town?The rail line is being engineered for a maximum speed of 110 mph. However, there will be many areas where such speeds will not be possible, especially in congested areas, near station stops, etc. Built up areas will receive security fencing and landscaping as appropriate for public safety and to minimize the rail line's intrusion to the community. The average speed is anticipated to be 85-87 mph. Current passenger service in the corridor has a top speed of 79 mph, and an average speed of 46-48 mph.

10. Why won't the trains go faster, like in Europe?
Careful modeling of ridership and costs has indicated that 110 mph service is the most cost effective at this time. Sustaining operating speeds in the 125 to 135 mph range and above would require electrification of the corridor. The models show that higher speeds do not increase ridership sufficiently to justify the higher costs within our 25 year planning horizon.......
Once this project is completed, the next upgrades won't take place until 2050 or so. Sorry Bud, but until you can provide some real proof of Acela in NC, it just isn't believable.

Commuter train to Gastonia.? Never going to happen. I stand by what I posted.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Haha, are you kidding? This is a link to your own rumor where you provided absolutely no proof.

None the less, there is no argument. The entire history of high speed rail is documented public record and can be seen here. As you can see they started work on it in 1992 and the record of decision on the plan being built today was made in 2002. There has not been nor will there ever be a plan to bring Acela to this route. Period.

Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor > Project Description

They decided more than a decade ago that building anything faster than 110 max trains would not be cost effective. They have decided to update the present freight tracks between Charlotte & Richmond, and then push those Amtrak diesel locomotives to their maximum speed of around 90mph. Here is the relevant parts from the 2002 record of decisions. HSR 125+ requires dedicated passenger tracks which they are not building.
9. How fast will the high speed trains go through my town?The rail line is being engineered for a maximum speed of 110 mph. However, there will be many areas where such speeds will not be possible, especially in congested areas, near station stops, etc. Built up areas will receive security fencing and landscaping as appropriate for public safety and to minimize the rail line's intrusion to the community. The average speed is anticipated to be 85-87 mph. Current passenger service in the corridor has a top speed of 79 mph, and an average speed of 46-48 mph.

10. Why won't the trains go faster, like in Europe?
Careful modeling of ridership and costs has indicated that 110 mph service is the most cost effective at this time. Sustaining operating speeds in the 125 to 135 mph range and above would require electrification of the corridor. The models show that higher speeds do not increase ridership sufficiently to justify the higher costs within our 25 year planning horizon.......
Once this project is completed, the next upgrades won't take place until 2050 or so. Sorry Bud, but until you can provide some real proof of Acela in NC, it just isn't believable.

Commuter train to Gastonia.? Never going to happen. I stand by what I posted.
I gave you a link to that thread because it gave dates & sources. Foolish me. . .why would I think that you would check that out. It would prove that I heard what I said.

Keep standing by your theory on the Gastonia train, but I would not suggest that you do your standing on the P & N RR track. The article clearly stated that NCDOT gave Gastonia the greenlight to run passengers & freight on the line & the track rehab will be finished in January. NCDOT already hired a manager. A previous link included the information that CATS has refused to take passengers from Gastonia & NCDOT has said that they will. You are free to take anything that you want from that.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:18 AM

Quote:
I.... Foolish me. . ....
You said it, not me. That link is about freight traffic between two railroads. It has nothing to do with commuter rail or highspeed rail. Maybe you should read it.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
You said it, not me. That link is about freight traffic between two railroads. It has nothing to do with commuter rail or highspeed rail. Maybe you should read it.
That's right, it's about getting the freight traffic re-established on the P & N line which NCDOT has authorized Gastonia to do as well as carry passengers. The article is speculating that the freight may start to roll on the line again before the track rehabbing is complete, at reduced speeds. They are not going to attempt to carry people under those conditions. They also are not going to carry passengers until they have the place to take them to, which is the Gateway station. I never said that there would be anything high speed between Gastonia & Charlotte.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 AM

7,946 posts, read 14,609,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlTravels View Post
This is ridiculous. Put the $461 million into our schools.
Agreed. This is pure and total stupidity. There are so many other, better things the $461 million could be put to use for. Schools, infrastructure, libraries, tax incentives, etc.

I am all for high speed rail done right. It would work if it only stopped in major cities, but that could never be approved because representative from rural districts would want it stopping in their town. Stopping in every rural town defeats the purpose of high speed rail to begin with. Thats why it could never take off in the US like it has in Europe. The high speed rail should stop only in Greensboro between Charlotte and Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or