U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 PM

2,856 posts, read 1,571,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The N tryon station is going to be relocated behind the Greyhound station as a part of the light rail project.
That's good info. Hopefully they'll make it aesthetically appealing so it will enhance that area in Uptown. I wonder if this is a locally designed project or a federally designed one, since federal money is involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,319,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
That's good info. Hopefully they'll make it aesthetically appealing so it will enhance that area in Uptown. I wonder if this is a locally designed project or a federally designed one, since federal money is involved?
Similar to this high speed rail project the stimulus money is part fed & part local. The one cent sales tax is funding part of all light rail projects that is suppose to be done by 2030.

Quote:
Charlotte Gateway Station, located at Graham, 4th and West Trade streets in Center City Charlotte, is the southern terminus for the North Corridor Commuter Rail Project. The new station will provide seamless integration of various rapid transit modes, including commuter rail, Amtrak, Greyhound, Center City Streetcar and Southeast/West Corridor rapid transit.
The design is on the link below.

Gateway Station

Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,233,160 times
Thanks to Charlotte. Raleigh doesn't know what rail is....

Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM

189 posts, read 278,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Similar to this high speed rail project the stimulus money is part fed & part local. The one cent sales tax is funding part of all light rail projects that is suppose to be done by 2030.

The design is on the link below.

Gateway Station
I love that design. With the article this week about the Knights' Uptown stadium potentially starting back up and the park going in, Third Ward is going to be bumpin!

Being new to the area I like how dense and consolidated Uptown feels in some areas but Third Ward has so much potential and space for projects that I am excited for the cities future.

I was reading about the West Morehead Commons on another site after checking out Skybox condos and seeing the empty field. Anyone hear news about a project going in over there?

I could definitely see that area becoming a cool warehouse district.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:57 PM

359 posts, read 487,628 times
This is ridiculous

Old 03-24-2011, 03:30 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,876,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
This is ridiculous
That's the same thing some people said about the light rail line. I remember Don Reid and his crew saying nobody would ride the trains and they'd be empty, that didn't turn out to be the case.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:40 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,917,926 times
We could better use a high speed rail line from Atlanta to Charlotte. Well, I could. But I guess it's not all about me.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,319,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
That's the same thing some people said about the light rail line. I remember Don Reid and his crew saying nobody would ride the trains and they'd be empty, that didn't turn out to be the case.
There is a difference between Light rail and this slightly faster rail project.
Amtrak already exists vs light rail didn't.

Yes it will create jobs but the state will have to absorb the maintenance costs.

It still cheaper to travel by car despite higher gas prices and will not ease
traffic on the roads.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:15 PM

189 posts, read 278,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
We could better use a high speed rail line from Atlanta to Charlotte. Well, I could. But I guess it's not all about me.
I would like that as well.

As for being more expensive due to a ticket and then rental car/taxi: I hope that a better rail system leads to a car share company coming to Charlotte/Raleigh ala Zip Car. Their service wouldn't have to be expansive, probably just have designated spots near the train stations to start.

I love the possibilities of the video below. One can dream...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2V_yny7DmI

Old 03-24-2011, 04:22 PM

20,564 posts, read 25,786,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
That will come to pass as well, but that comes after Charlotte is linked to the Amtrak NE corridor.

I read where Florida has opted out & NC was one of the states that volunteered to take all or part of Florida's share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or