U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:56 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,703,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I don't see any part of the South getting HSR till the 2030s....and you don't need it. You need to build connecting systems in Research Triangle and Charlotte and Richmond , otherwise Ridership will be low. Thats probably why ridership has spiked like up here on your Charlotte - Raleigh service , theres nothing to connect to in both cities.

The state funded train service that runs between Charlotte and Raleigh operates at a profit. It usually runs full capacity. The NE won't be getting additional HSR as well, so I am not sure of your point. Not unless states such as NJ pays for it, and we know that isn't going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 11:46 AM

12,381 posts, read 22,692,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
The state funded train service that runs between Charlotte and Raleigh operates at a profit. It usually runs full capacity. The NE won't be getting additional HSR as well, so I am not sure of your point. Not unless states such as NJ pays for it, and we know that isn't going to happen.
Runs on profit eh , idk about that.... The NE is building out an Intercity Rail network and bringing up exsiting lines to faster speeds all thanks to the Feds and states like MD , NJ , CT , NY , MA.... We have 1 Intercity line under construction as we speak or type... 6 other lines are planned by 2020.....funding with come form the Feds and PPP's..... I heaven't heard at that it runs at Full Capacity?

Old 03-29-2011, 01:07 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,703,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
..... I heaven't heard at that it runs at Full Capacity?
You also probably didn't realize that it is a state funded railroad, not federal.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 PM

20,585 posts, read 25,814,095 times
NCDOT Rail Division

Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 AM

4,677 posts, read 7,827,892 times
Whatever the case is, I hope it works out. I think this HSR has the potential to pan out like RTP and NCs lax banking laws did for Charlotte.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:14 AM

449 posts, read 2,205,220 times
I cannot understand some of the logic in this thread.

This is a waste of money because there won't be enough time saved? Yet this money has to be spent to make further improvements to go faster and increase reliability, and is a fraction of what true high-speed rail costs.

Reconstructing, upgrading, and constructing rail lines between Washington and Charlotte is estimated to cost between $2.6 and $7.5 billion. That's using conventional locomotives and rolling stock on mostly existing right-of-way to attain speeds of 110 mph and average 85-87 mph, faster than average Acela speed and much faster than by car.

Do you have ANY idea how much it would cost to finance the acquisition of the thousands of acres required for a dedicated high-speed passenger rail right-of-way (via eminent domain, none-the-less), the hundreds of miles of electrification, the high-speed trainsets, etc.? Not to mention how long it would take to implement. The current corridor has been in the works for the past twenty years, and probably won't be finished for another ten.

Sure, it'd be fast and sexy. But is it worth the tens of billions of dollars it'd cost?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,919,825 times
I just returned from Germany yesterday and I was very pleased with their high speed ICE trains. You can walk out of your hotel and be on a departing train within 10 minutes, no lines, no security, no luggage check (put it on the rack above your seat), no hassle whatsoever. Even second class seats are pretty cheap, comfortable, quiet and smooth and our trains peaked around 300KPH (180 MPH)

While I'd love to have trains like that here, the problem is that most destinations in the US don't have adequate public transportation, so you have to rent a car at your destination, which makes people wonder why they didn't just take their own car to begin with. I guess it is sort of a chicken-or-the-egg problem. People don't want to take public transportation unless it's very well done, and it won't get very well done without people demanding it.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:22 PM

868 posts, read 1,377,793 times
NC has applied for $624 million of the high speed rail funds turned down by Florida. High on the list is a request for money that would be used to build Charlotte a state-of-the-art station on Trade Street as well as the maintenance facilities needed for trains to serve it. This is really important - Charlotte's current train station pretty much sucks.

At the EIS meetings in Raleigh last summer, they said that the line between Raleigh and Richmond is being designed with no road crossings and very gradual curves, so that all that is needed to enable speeds well over 110mph (150? 180? more?) would be electrification. But there's no point to electrifying Raleigh-Richmond when Richmond-DC is not electrified first, so that's being left to some phase far off in the future.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 PM

59 posts, read 174,847 times
What an exciting proposal! People can easily get to jobs in many areas with public transportation. Very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
North Carolina transportation officials on Tuesday announced an agreement that will free up $461 million in federal money to begin modernizing the state’s rail system.

Officials say the new service would cut travel time from Charlotte to Raleigh to less than three hours, even with seven stops along the way. However, the ride will only be 13 minutes faster.

IMO this is a waste of money if only save 13 minutes this isnt high speed. Plus the train will have to slow down for all the stops never maintaining full speed for a lengthy time.
The train will still have to share the track with freight.

Solution reduce the stops to three.
Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:43 PM

11,558 posts, read 17,956,388 times
It's amazing to me how Americans have invested Billions and Billions of dollars on sports arenas & stadiums that don't have a real economic impact in terms of connecting people and ideas from place to place but we all get in a tizzy when it comes to investing in HSR.
REAL HSR has the possibility of having an amazing impact on the growth of our state. Frankly, I'd like to see more money poured into it with speeds dialed up to 125 MPH+. Alas, that will never happen because we seem like a country that is afraid of its own future as it deperately holds on to its past. If anyone wants a wake up call, go to SE Asia and take a look at how THEY are planning and building for the future. Places like Hong Kong and Singapore are starting to make the US look like a backwater "has been".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or