U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:50 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,620,647 times

Advertisements

Every Transit system saw a drop due to the recession , this was also on a Global scale , but some systems are starting to come back like the NY , Boston and DC systems.... Smaller systems will be last to see there ridership return to post - recession levels , same with Highway congestion and bridge traffic....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 11:48 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,636,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Latest News: N.C. GOP lawmakers say yes to rail money | Charlotte Business Journal

I'm glad the Republicans in our state are smarter than the ones in Florida. Even if you oppose rail funding, it makes no sense to turn down money that would simply be sent to another state.
You and me both, my friend! Good to see them come to their senses and not let their "Ideology" get in the way of something that is going to benefit this state!

Old 04-10-2011, 08:09 PM

189 posts, read 278,001 times
I'm excited that NC is in the running for some of Florida's money which would be put to use towards getting the Gateway Station going. Those renderings are a beauty. A more centrally located, transit-connected, attractive station will do nothing but help rail ridership in our fair city

Old 04-11-2011, 08:37 AM

2,856 posts, read 1,565,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
You and me both, my friend! Good to see them come to their senses and not let their "Ideology" get in the way of something that is going to benefit this state!
It's not about ideology, but practicality. Florida would have to pay for the upkeep of the rail line, which they didn't estimate would be profitable. So if they took the fed money, then they have a rail line that ends up being a money pit. I don't know if the situation is the same in NC, but if it is, I don't see how that benefits the state.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 AM

20,491 posts, read 25,691,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
It's not about ideology, but practicality. Florida would have to pay for the upkeep of the rail line, which they didn't estimate would be profitable. So if they took the fed money, then they have a rail line that ends up being a money pit. I don't know if the situation is the same in NC, but if it is, I don't see how that benefits the state.
NCDOT's rail division currently has tracks that are in need of upgrades to allow for higher speeds. This is, apparently, a much different situation. Amtrack's long term goal is to run dedicated tracks to separate passenger & commercial trains (There've been problems with this in Maryland in the past.)

This particular money will be focused for a station & work needed to establish that station. If this is the NCDOT station, that will facilitate the planned commuter train to Gastonia, Kings Mountain, & Shelby at a much earlier date than it would have been, otherwise.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:33 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,694,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
..... If this is the NCDOT station, that will facilitate the planned commuter train to Gastonia, Kings Mountain, & Shelby at a much earlier date than it would have been, otherwise.
Federal money can't be redirected by states to other transit projects. i.e. High speed rail money can't be used to construct a commuter rail line to Gastonia, Kings Mountain & Shelby. Federal transit money always comes with a specific project stated and this would have been specified in the details of the request by NC.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:39 AM

189 posts, read 278,001 times
I'm not totally following between southbound and yantosh but if you are talking about this $461 million it is for the originally specified use between CLT and Raleigh. However I did see a mention of Florida and think that what southbound was saying is that the additional money NC is trying to get is marked for construction of the Gateway Station. The federal money would be used to build that. Then with having that new station the NCDOT could start work on those commuter lines from the federally funded Gateway.

If that's not what you meant then I apologize for butting in

Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Federal money can't be redirected by states to other transit projects. i.e. High speed rail money can't be used to construct a commuter rail line to Gastonia, Kings Mountain & Shelby.
I didn't say that. However, although there has been some work done on the line, between Gastonia & Charlotte, the overall project is on hold for need of the NCDOT station. CATS told Gastonia to go pound sand in a rat hole over resurecting that train line. The mayor of Gastonia went to the state about it & they told her yes, that the line would go to their station. NCDOT has also told Kings Mountain & Shelby that there will be a commuter line run to Kings Mountain (park & ride lot), Shelby (3 stations) & Boiling Springs. I've found evidence that the line will extend to Rutherford County, but I don't know if that will be considered commuter service, since I also found evidence of a trainline there that extends fron Spartanburg to Asheville.

If this federal money will expedite the NCDOT station in Charlotte, then it will expedite the Gastonia line, by default.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandguy811 View Post
I'm not totally following between southbound and yantosh but if you are talking about this $461 million it is for the originally specified use between CLT and Raleigh. However I did see a mention of Florida and think that what southbound was saying is that the additional money NC is trying to get is marked for construction of the Gateway Station. The federal money would be used to build that. Then with having that new station the NCDOT could start work on those commuter lines from the federally funded Gateway.

If that's not what you meant then I apologize for butting in
You are 100% correct.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,694,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If this federal money will expedite the NCDOT station in Charlotte, then it will expedite the Gastonia line, by default.
This is not the case. Gateway Station is designed in such a way that parts of it can be built without relying on the other parts to be built. That is the commuter rail platform is separate from the platform that Amtrack and HSR will use. The CR platform will have to be funded by the local CR project, if it is ever built, and it's not clear they would make accommodation for the line to Gastonia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or