Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:54 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It's amazing to me how Americans have invested Billions and Billions of dollars on sports arenas & stadiums that don't have a real economic impact in terms of connecting people and ideas from place to place but we all get in a tizzy when it comes to investing in HSR.
REAL HSR has the possibility of having an amazing impact on the growth of our state. Frankly, I'd like to see more money poured into it with speeds dialed up to 125 MPH+. Alas, that will never happen because we seem like a country that is afraid of its own future as it deperately holds on to its past. If anyone wants a wake up call, go to SE Asia and take a look at how THEY are planning and building for the future. Places like Hong Kong and Singapore are starting to make the US look like a backwater "has been".
The truth is that the airline industry is the biggest opponent of true HSR. Let's face it; a 200 mph plus train from Charlotte to Raleigh would be an hour trip (and that's with stops along the way). This is a video of a 357 mph train. Notice how the train is actually keeping pace with a plane at the 42 second mark of this video.

YouTube - Worlds fastest Train: 574.8kmph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 01:39 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It's amazing to me how Americans have invested Billions and Billions of dollars on sports arenas & stadiums .....
Indeed:

Charlotte:
  • $300M - Bobcats Arena - NBA
  • $220M - Nascar HOF
  • ~$60M - BofA Stadium - NFL
  • Trying hard to come up with a scheme for a minor league BB stadium that won't get into legal issues but where costs can be obfuscated from tax paying voters. $35M - $100M
Yet no money available for any local rail projects.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:55 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Latest News: N.C. GOP lawmakers say yes to rail money | Charlotte Business Journal

I'm glad the Republicans in our state are smarter than the ones in Florida. Even if you oppose rail funding, it makes no sense to turn down money that would simply be sent to another state.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Indeed:

Charlotte:
  • $300M - Bobcats Arena - NBA
  • $220M - Nascar HOF
  • ~$60M - BofA Stadium - NFL
  • Trying hard to come up with a scheme for a minor league BB stadium that won't get into legal issues but where costs can be obfuscated from tax paying voters. $35M - $100M
Yet no money available for any local rail projects.
All of these things you've just mentioned actually boost local rail ridership.

Bobcats Arena Station
All sizes | DSC00183 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonofsuperfly/4281151492/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Panthers Crowd on light rail
All sizes | DSC07787 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonofsuperfly/2725276435/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

I do agree that rail should be a MUCH higher priority, but with rail comes land use (ie, higher densities, downtown arenas and stadiums, etc etc etc). Right now, we don't have the money to build arenas and stadiums (thank goodness they were already built during better economic times). Keep in mind that we did build our first rail line during the high economy, so its not like rail was ignored. Later this year, we will be starting construction of the city's streetcar line from uptown to midtown. More needs to be done, but this is a start.

Streetcar project on track after plan revised - News14.com

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 04-08-2011 at 11:53 AM..

Old 04-08-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
All of these things you've just mentioned actually boost local rail ridership.
If they had spent the money, instead, on the rail line to UNCC that would have definitely boosted rail ridership. The dubious claims of the value of sports venues, I simply don't believe. (though if they produce a creditable study of this, which has never been produced, I am willing to be convinced)

Old 04-08-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
If they had spent the money, instead, on the rail line to UNCC that would have definitely boosted rail ridership. The dubious claims of the value of sports venues, I simply don't believe.
You don't believe what you can see with your own eyes?

YouTube - Bobcats game night

Old 04-08-2011, 12:28 PM

You seem to miss the concept of "opportunity cost". I stand by what I said above. BTW, ridership has been falling.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
You seem to miss the concept of "opportunity cost". I stand by what I said above. BTW, ridership has been falling.
"Charlotte Area Transit said 24 million people rode CATS mass transit last year. This year, there is already a two percent increase and the numbers are expected to rise as gas prices increase"
High Gas Prices Boost Light Rail Ridership - News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Old 04-08-2011, 02:00 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
"Charlotte Area Transit said 24 million people rode CATS mass transit last year. This year, there is already a two percent increase and the numbers are expected to rise as gas prices increase"
High Gas Prices Boost Light Rail Ridership - News Story - WSOC Charlotte
I don't know why people continue to try to claim the light rail has been anything but a success, because that's exactly what its been

Old 04-08-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
"Charlotte Area Transit said 24 million people rode CATS mass transit last year. This year, there is already a two percent increase and the numbers are expected to rise as gas prices increase"....
This number includes all the buses in Charlotte. Rail ridership, which I was referring to, has been falling. These disingenuous arguments are exactly the sort of thing that I am talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte