Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:23 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
I wasn't that impressed with Sonny's. Their sauce was kind of generic and their meat as very dry when I had it.
Indeed. Cooking pork for BBQ is an art which the chains are not able to reproduce. While I used to like the salad bar at Sonny's, I don't consider their BBQ to be palatable and after they served me a chicken sandwich which I bit into and discovered was raw in the center, I haven't been back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 12:57 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,131 times
For Mooresville, It'll be hard to beat Lancasters. I'm not too keen on gas cooked BBQ, but theirs is pretty good. The Brunswick stew is perfect, just like what I grew up on.
It's been years and it's not Mooresville, and it is north Charlotte, but
The Old Hickory House is the best I've ever had in Charlotte.

Old Hickory House BBQ Restaurant

6538 North Tryon Street Charlotte, NC 28213-5519

(704) 596-8014

Worth the drive!!

Old 03-26-2011, 01:09 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
I wasn't that impressed with Sonny's. Their sauce was kind of generic and their meat as very dry when I had it.
If your from the Carolinas, Sonnys is to BBQ what McDonalds is to Gourmet burgers, or better yet, Taco Bell to Mexican cuisine.
A lot of people don't like the vinegar based sauces that are common to the Carolinas, but the trick is not to use too much. Really good BBQ does not need a cover up. It's like putting Steak sauce on a quality steak.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:26 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racewire20 View Post
If your from the Carolinas, Sonnys is to BBQ what McDonalds is to Gourmet burgers, or better yet, Taco Bell to Mexican cuisine.
A lot of people don't like the vinegar based sauces that are common to the Carolinas, but the trick is not to use too much. Really good BBQ does not need a cover up. It's like putting Steak sauce on a quality steak.
Exactly. If you need sauce on any piece of cooked meat after serving it's not really that good.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:57 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
For Mooresville, It'll be hard to beat Lancasters. I'm not too keen on gas cooked BBQ, but theirs is pretty good. The Brunswick stew is perfect, just like what I grew up on.
It's been years and it's not Mooresville, and it is north Charlotte, but
The Old Hickory House is the best I've ever had in Charlotte.

Old Hickory House BBQ Restaurant

6538 North Tryon Street Charlotte, NC 28213-5519

(704) 596-8014

Worth the drive!!
I'm surprised that someone brought up OHH. I worked there 25+ years ago, and eat there if I'm on that side of town. They use bread crumbs and no lima beans in their Brunswick stew, which sets them apart from just about every other restaurant I've been to (especially Lancaster's, counter to what racewire says). They're an old fashioned place with sassy waitresses and their food is great.

Overall they blow Lancaster's away, but everyone has their own opinion.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:03 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Exactly. If you need sauce on any piece of cooked meat after serving it's not really that good.
For steak I absolutely agree. A good friend orders prime rib medium well and than asks for steak sauce. I always tell him "you should just order a sirloin, and ruin that instead of an expensive cut of meat" but he likes what he likes.

But part of BBQ is the sauce. BBQ sauce is every bit as varied and specific as the BBQ itself. BBQ shouldn't be drowned in sauce, but it can definitely be augmented by a good sauce. I think it should be served with the sauce on the side. If you don't want any sauce on the BBQ, great. But you might be missing out on an even better BBQ experience.

Gotta cook me some butts soon.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:14 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
.I'm surprised that someone brought up OHH.....They're an old fashioned place with sassy waitresses and their food is great.

Overall they blow Lancaster's away, but everyone has their own opinion.
I completely agree with this. The Old Hickory House is probably the only authentic old time BBQ place left in Charlotte. Great food for decades. I agree about Lancasters. It's way over rated and IMO over priced too.

I'd say that Brodricks BBQ has comparable food to Old Hickory House, but I expect that you wouldn't see many transplanted suburbanites eating there.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:44 AM

459 posts, read 698,510 times
I tried Carolina BBQ in Statesville with my wife. She had the chicken and I had the ribs of course. The ribs were just how I wanted it, juicy and falling off the bone. The sauce was sweet and delicious. I was hoping for a little bit of a kick and even their hot sauce didn't really deliver. I did not want to ruin it with the Texas Pete.

My wife really liked the sauce on the chicken. She's from NY and I'm from England so we're not natives and far from BBQ experts but these were really good. The paper mats with instructions on how to talk like mountain folk was a nice touch. It made us chuckle.

Ooh one more thing, we had something we've never heard or seen before, corn nuggets! My wife loved it and would go back for that alone Going to try Lancaster's next.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
The only time we go to Lancasters anymore is if we have visitors from out of the area that want to have a racing themed meal. Otherwise I consider it a place for a higher than average priced, decent meal.

Sometimes, I do pick up an order of their potato "chips" from the take out window near Duckworths. We have them with take out subs from Brooklyn Boys or Tony's.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:08 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
I agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte