Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Overall I agree with you, I was just wondering why you chose interest rates and gas prices with so many other factors out there... like how you point out the northeastern property taxes are reeeee-tard-ed.

I think it's too easy to look in the rearview and monday morning QB holding out until prices came down - because it wasn't just the credit bubble, the tech bubble led up to that so we essentially were riding multiple bubbles by the time 2005 rolled around and you may have had time to "get out".

For the most part, it's the ones who entered the housing market at around that time who are suffering the most. Now we can argue all sorts of angles from guns to heads to predatory lending to plain ole irresponsibility. But at the end of the day it was the wild west and a good many people profited during that time based on plain simple lucky timing. Those folks weren't automatically "better" then the guy who signed for the same exact property at the wrong time and got in over is head.

Don't even get me started on my banker rant! lol you know me...
It is easier to look back, I agree. But I don't know, for me personally, when I was offered a variable rate mortgage, I KNEW the risks of a 7/1 ARM. I hear horror stories of people "not knowing what they were signing"...well HELLLLO! What the hell we're you doing??? Ignorance is no excuse like some on here portray....I'm sorry, but to me that doesn't fly, and goingdownsouth's posts is more of the same tired stuff to me.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 06:42 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,597 times
Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
It is easier to look back, I agree. But I don't know, for me personally, when I was offered a variable rate mortgage, I KNEW the risks of a 7/1 ARM. I hear horror stories of people "not knowing what they were signing"...well HELLLLO! What the hell we're you doing??? Ignorance is no excuse like some on here portray....I'm sorry, but to me that doesn't fly, and goingdownsouth's posts is more of the same tired stuff to me.....
agree 100% To sum it up, irresponsible people took the bait.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:04 AM

335 posts, read 699,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Don't paint a picture of me being "extreme" because you don't have your financial house in order.

Ok, say you "entered" the market in 2005. At the worst, you could've waited a couple more years and saw the writing on the wall where housing was going. No one forced you to buy at that time. There were plenty of people who rented and now are benefiting.

Please explain how you are different than anyone else.
My financial house is A-ok, and I did wait many, many years to enter the market. I am speaking up for the dozens of people I know, my generation, people who came of homebuying age over the last decade, who have been hurt by the housing bubble through no fault of their own. I have this quality that you seem to lack; it is called empathy, and another is intellectual honesty. You make it sound like everybody refinanced to go out and buy an Escalade, when really the average Joe was just trying to get by and take care of his family.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
My financial house is A-ok, and I did wait many, many years to enter the market. I am speaking up for the dozens of people I know, my generation, people who came of homebuying age over the last decade, who have been hurt by the housing bubble through no fault of their own. I have this quality that you seem to lack; it is called empathy, and another is intellectual honesty. You make it sound like everybody refinanced to go out and buy an Escalade, when really the average Joe was just trying to get by and take care of his family.
Trust me, I have plenty of empathy and intellectual honesty. I just don't make excuses like you, and pass the buck/blame others like most of america does today.

The overwhelming majority of people don't know how to manage their money. They don't have a budget, or heck, don't even know how much of their gross income goes to taxes....and don't give me the excuse "they don't make enough money". That's bullshizzle. Look online (or listen even to Dave Ramsey), and you'll see how people can truly sacrifice.....it can be done if you want it bad enough....

You take that ignorance, and you tag team it w/liar loans and very easy cheap money from a couple years ago, and voila, the people who were smart w/their money are paying for the people who exumed financial bad behavior.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:31 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times
Quote:
... I have this quality that you seem to lack; it is ...intellectual honesty. ....
Is this different than just plain honesty?

Old 04-01-2011, 02:02 PM

335 posts, read 699,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Is this different than just plain honesty?
Yes. You can be ignorant of certain facts and still make an honest argument. Intellectual honesty/dishonesty occurs when you are aware of those certain facts, but do/do not acknowledge the facts that do not support your argument.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:22 PM

110 posts, read 316,331 times
Every responsible person on this thread has taken a financial hit. The down slide in RE prices now are very likely at a point "below" where they "should" be. Overcorrection naturally follows a bubble.

When we say 3x is good, 5x is bad, how about an average property in China costing 8.8x Now that's a bubble we can all be proud of.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbelman View Post
Every responsible person on this thread has taken a financial hit.
I agree, but everyone in life takes a financial "hit" at least once. But that's not the argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbelman View Post
The down slide in RE prices now are very likely at a point "below" where they "should" be. Overcorrection naturally follows a bubble.
I disagree. We are not at historical levels for RE and still have a ways to go.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:30 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times
Quote:
.....Intellectual honesty/dishonesty occurs when you are aware of those certain facts, but do/do not acknowledge the facts that do not support your argument.
So you were made aware of the fact of the real cost to purchase a home 30 years ago where your characterization was completely wrong. Yet I didn't see you make any acknowledgement of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte