U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:06 AM

279 posts, read 978,065 times

Advertisements

OMG, what should I do? Should I just stomp on it? Will they sting unprovoked?

I was out walking my dog at my apt. complex and it was in the grass near where the little feral kitties hang out that I feed ... not to mention near my pup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 11:12 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,668,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina-in-Ashland View Post
OMG, what should I do? Should I just stomp on it? Will they sting unprovoked?

I was out walking my dog at my apt. complex and it was in the grass near where the little feral kitties hang out that I feed ... not to mention near my pup.
AWESOME!!! Those things are so cool! Did it hiss at you? I've only seen a few in my life around here. No don't kill it! Play with it!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:16 AM

Interesting tid bit... you really do learn something new everyday...

Quote:
An unusual insect reported in Lancaster County yards during late summer and early fall is the velvet ant. The females are wingless and are sometimes mistaken for a large, hairy, orange and black ant. These "ants" are actually wasp! A solitary wasp, the velvet ant does not live in colonies or have a "nest". They are found crawling through lawns, digging around soil, or even in garages where they have wandered in by accident.

Velvet ants are not aggressive and will try to escape from you. The females have a very painful sting if handled. The name "Cow Killer Ant" was given to the velvet ant because of the reputation of the female's sting. It is said that the sting is so painful that it could kill a cow. This handsome insect does make a sound (especially when stepped on) but the squeaks of the cow killer ant would hardly be heard over the painful screams, if the person stepping on the wasp was barefoot.

The adult velvet ants feed on nectar and water. The immature stages are external parasites of wasp that nest in the ground like cicada killer wasp. Cicada killer wasp dig burrows into the ground. The adult cicada killer wasp capture and paralyze cicadas and drag them into the underground burrow. The wasp lays an egg on the cicada and after it hatches, the cicada killer wasp larva uses the cicada as a food source.

Here is where the velvet ant comes into the picture. After the developing cicada killer wasp have formed cocoons, the adult female velvet ants slip into the hole in the ground where the nest is located and lays eggs on the cocoon. The velvet ant larvae hatch and feed on, eventually killing, the developing wasp larvae. When it ready to become an adult, the velvet ant pupates inside the nest of the wasp where it will emerge the next season.

Velvet ants do not cause damage and no chemical controls are need. Velvet ants should be left alone, but if control is desired, make sure you have on a heavy-soled shoe before stepping on the insect!

Cow Killer Ant - Velvet Ant

Old 07-27-2007, 11:19 AM

I didn't hear any hissing, but it scampered away after I first tried to crush it with the sole of my tennis shoe.

Alright, I'm going to leave it alone, I hate killing any bug outside in their environment. I just didn't want it to hurt the kitties or my dog ... or any unsuspecting kid or flip-flop shod resident.

Thanks for the information & photo - that is definitely what I saw!

Last edited by Nina-in-Ashland; 07-27-2007 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: thanks added

Old 07-27-2007, 11:43 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,763,523 times
What are thr wasp/hornet reltaives that come out in flocks in August but neither gender are aggressive or sting called?

Old 07-27-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
What are thr wasp/hornet reltaives that come out in flocks in August but neither gender are aggressive or sting called?
Dirt Dobbers?

Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 PM

462 posts, read 1,684,595 times
Just forwarded the link to the wife. I am sure she will be pleased to see I sent her another link of another bug for her to fear. I at least included that at least this one is pretty to look at! Last week when I was at the house my neighbor found a black widow in thier yard. Even though it was dead my wife would only come so close to look at it. Did I forget to mention that she hates bugs?

Old 07-27-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Just forwarded the link to the wife. I am sure she will be pleased to see I sent her another link of another bug for her to fear. I at least included that at least this one is pretty to look at! Last week when I was at the house my neighbor found a black widow in thier yard. Even though it was dead my wife would only come so close to look at it. Did I forget to mention that she hates bugs?
actually, it was kind of pretty, as far as bugs go - it was a very vibrant red. Big, too, I'd say the size of good cashew.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Well don't kill the dirt dobbers--spiders are their favorite meals, including black widows.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:34 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,317,232 times
Talking Cow Killers?

I thought she meant a 'chupacabra'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or