U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:46 AM

5 posts, read 15,368 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this should go in the Charlotte forum or the Mountain range forum but here goes....

My wife and I are planning on moving in the next 1-1.5 yrs. We both grew up in MA and lived they're our entire lives, we're 30yrs old and ready to start a family. We are ready to try some place new and would like to move further south for the more mild winters and lower cost of living. Our plan is for her to be a stay at home mom when we have kids.

We're looking for advice on where to start looking for homes, I'm hoping you guys could suggest some towns as a starting point to our search, we will visiting the area again in June or July and want to have a list of towns to drive around and check out. I also enjoy searching for real estate online and I need a list of towns to start looking through. Please give us some advice on what towns seem to fit our lives based on the description below.

We have been looking at the western Piedmont/eastern Mountain areas of NC to move to. We love the mountains but want to be semi close to the Charlotte airport, since I travel a lot for work. We don't like city living or really dense neighborhoods, communities are fine and sort of what we're looking for but we want one where each house has 1 to 2 acres or more, none of this 1/4 acre stuff for us!

We don't like 'flat land', we like some topography and elevation changes.

Obviously we can't have everything in the 'perfect' town but this is a general starting point and I thank you in advance for any advice or direction you can give us. I'll try to answer any questions if you need better info, just didn't want to make my post tooooo long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 06:00 AM

3,428 posts, read 9,254,536 times
I'm thinking Belmont, Mount Holly, then, I don't know. Asheville, Spartanburg, Greenville.

Why is the proximity to Charlotte-Douglas (vs. other airports) so important?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:11 AM

21,986 posts, read 27,281,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLor View Post
I'm not sure if this should go in the Charlotte forum or the Mountain range forum but here goes....

My wife and I are planning on moving in the next 1-1.5 yrs. We both grew up in MA and lived they're our entire lives, we're 30yrs old and ready to start a family. We are ready to try some place new and would like to move further south for the more mild winters and lower cost of living. Our plan is for her to be a stay at home mom when we have kids.

We're looking for advice on where to start looking for homes, I'm hoping you guys could suggest some towns as a starting point to our search, we will visiting the area again in June or July and want to have a list of towns to drive around and check out. I also enjoy searching for real estate online and I need a list of towns to start looking through. Please give us some advice on what towns seem to fit our lives based on the description below.

We have been looking at the western Piedmont/eastern Mountain areas of NC to move to. We love the mountains but want to be semi close to the Charlotte airport, since I travel a lot for work. We don't like city living or really dense neighborhoods, communities are fine and sort of what we're looking for but we want one where each house has 1 to 2 acres or more, none of this 1/4 acre stuff for us!

We don't like 'flat land', we like some topography and elevation changes.

Obviously we can't have everything in the 'perfect' town but this is a general starting point and I thank you in advance for any advice or direction you can give us. I'll try to answer any questions if you need better info, just didn't want to make my post tooooo long.
What is your max drive time to the airport? That's the starting point.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 AM

5 posts, read 15,368 times
We're thinking about an hour or so is the preferred distance from the airport, we could go more than that, maybe to an hour and a half or so if it made a big difference in getting more of what we want.
We're an hour from our current airport and it is not bad.

We're from a small town with 7,500 people and a population density of 262 people per square mile. We like the small town feel but we are only 20 min from most everything we need, like groceries, home depot and many stores, however the closest big mall is 40min away.

I prefer the Charlotte airport for two reasons, one is that there are so many flights with U.S. Air to and from New Orleans which is where I fly to and from for work. The other reason is because our really good friends are also planning on moving and they are both pilots and will be working out of that airport. We would like to live nearby to each other within a short drive and they can only live so far away for the commute.

I think if it weren't for our good friends moving there as well then I would most likely just fly out of Asheville and we would live in the mountains.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:13 AM

111 posts, read 281,611 times
Quote:
We're thinking about an hour or so is the preferred distance from the airport, we could go more than that, maybe to an hour and a half or so if it made a big difference in getting more of what we want.

We're from a small town with 7,500 people and a population density of 262 people per square mile. We like the small town feel but we are only 20 min from most everything we need, like groceries, home depot and many stores, however the closest big mall is 40min away.

I prefer the Charlotte airport for two reasons, one is that there are so many flights with U.S. Air to and from New Orleans which is where I fly to and from for work. The other reason is because our really good friends are also planning on moving and they are both pilots and will be working out of that airport. We would like to live nearby to each other within a short drive and they can only live so far away for the commute.

I think if it weren't for our good friends moving there as well then I would most likely just fly out of Asheville and we would live in the mountains.

King's Mountain has a nice "mountain" feeling. You would be close to Gastonia which I would think would have everything you would need. And you would be about 35-40 minutes from Charlotte Douglas, with traffic.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:24 AM

21,986 posts, read 27,281,008 times
Quote:

I live in Kings Mountain. It's just west of Gastonia. I can get from my house (which is in town) to shopping in Gastonia in 10 minutes (15 max, if there's traffic) The way it works here is there is City of Kings Mountain which is surrounded by Kings Mountain Twp, which is unincorporated. Kings Mountain is ~11K people. As of now, Kings Mountain has a 80K sq ft Ingles supermarket & 2 Food Lions. There are some nice restaurants that have recently opened. The downtown is small but had pretty much gone to hell in a handbasket, but the city officials are working on revitalization. You'd go to Gastonia for most of your shopping, but from my house it takes 10 minutes 99% of the time. If there's traffic, up to 15 minutes. From my house, it's 25 - 30 minutes to the airport. Your time might vary, but only by minutes, depending on your exact location in the area. If this sounds like it would work for you, I can post a recent thread for you that has some links to other threads about the area.

Usually we ask for housing budgets, but at this point I don't think that that's necessary given that there are a wide variety of locations on the market here.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:38 AM

24 posts, read 35,834 times
Kings Mtn, Crowders Mtn.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:43 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,136,361 times
I heard you can breathe in a small town.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:03 PM

845 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I heard you can breathe in a small town.
Hehehehehe!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:34 AM

199 posts, read 886,846 times
I personally like Rutherfordton and Lincolnton. Rutherfordton is closer to the mountains with gently rolling hills but it's a bit more than 1 hr (1:15 hrs) to the Charlotte airport.

Rutherfordton Town, NC
Chimney Rock, Lake Lure North Carolina Mountain Vacation Packages

City of Lincolnton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or