U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-30-2011, 09:58 AM
 
5 posts, read 6,220 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'm moving from Columbus,Oh to Charlotte in June 2011 and I need information on jobs and the best places to live there. I have a bachelors degree in criminal justice but i willing to work in another field if I have to. I have two sons so finding a great school is important too.
I have experience as a leasing consultant (apartments) and case manager and lots of cutomer service experice. I wouldn't want to work in a police department.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. And please no unnessary negativety. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rraines; 03-30-2011 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2011, 10:02 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
22,021 posts, read 27,318,166 times
Reputation: 9046
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraines View Post
I'm moving from Columbus,Oh to Charlotte in June and I need information on jobs and the best places to live there. I have a bachelors degree in criminal justice but i willing to work in another field if I have to. I have two sons so finding a great school is important too. Any information would be greatly appreciated. And please no unnessary negativety. Thanks in advance.
What field are you looking for jobs in, other than police work?

Last edited by southbound_295; 03-30-2011 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,615,347 times
Reputation: 39870
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraines View Post
I'm moving from Columbus,Oh to Charlotte in June and I need information on jobs and the best places to live there. I have a bachelors degree in criminal justice but i willing to work in another field if I have to. I have two sons so finding a great school is important too. Any information would be greatly appreciated. And please no unnessary negativety. Thanks in advance.
With your degree in criminal justice I'd suggest you contact some of the local police departments about job openings.

Charlotte Mecklenburg is the largest in the state, so start there:

home

Then try some of the smaller cities/towns surrounding Charlotte:

Huntersville: Town of Huntersville, North Carolina (http://www.huntersville.org/police_0.asp - broken link)

Gastonia: Gaston County Police Department (http://www.co.gaston.nc.us/gastonpd/ - broken link)

Mooresville: Police | Official Town of Mooresville NC

Once you have a lead on a job, post back here so we can make recommendations on places to live.

Right now without knowing where you might be working it is just too difficult to start suggesting places to live and good schools - there are just to many!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,615,347 times
Reputation: 39870
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraines View Post
I have experience as a leasing consultant (apartments) and case manager and lots of cutomer service experice. I wouldn't want to work in a police department.
Oh, so you don't want to use your degree? What a shame, as I think those jobs might be more plentiful.

Well, in NC you have to be a licensed NC realtor to lease apartments/work as a property manager.

And I don't think customer service jobs are very plentiful.

Why not check out what jobs are available on some of the largest local companies:


Apply for Retail Jobs, Store Manager Jobs, Field Management Jobs.

Harris Teeter - Careers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM
 
5 posts, read 6,220 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Oh, so you don't want to use your degree? What a shame, as I think those jobs might be more plentiful.

Well, in NC you have to be a licensed NC realtor to lease apartments/work as a property manager.

And I don't think customer service jobs are very plentiful.

Why not check out what jobs are available on some of the largest local companies:


Apply for Retail Jobs, Store Manager Jobs, Field Management Jobs.

Harris Teeter - Careers
I was looking into working with juveniles for osp I see there are plenty of jobs there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2011, 11:25 AM
 
5 posts, read 6,220 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
With your degree in criminal justice I'd suggest you contact some of the local police departments about job openings.

Charlotte Mecklenburg is the largest in the state, so start there:

home

Then try some of the smaller cities/towns surrounding Charlotte:

Huntersville: Town of Huntersville, North Carolina (http://www.huntersville.org/police_0.asp - broken link)

Gastonia: Gaston County Police Department (http://www.co.gaston.nc.us/gastonpd/ - broken link)

Mooresville: Police | Official Town of Mooresville NC

Once you have a lead on a job, post back here so we can make recommendations on places to live.

Right now without knowing where you might be working it is just too difficult to start suggesting places to live and good schools - there are just to many!
ok thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2011, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC dreaming of other places
983 posts, read 2,179,887 times
Reputation: 785
Sounds like you decided to move before you found a job, I won't recommend it. When I moved here from CA 2 years ago, I had my job lined up first. There are lots of local folks looking for work here, unemployement in Charlotte is edging 11% and like what "LovesMountains" said, you will figure where to live on based on where your job is except if you don't mind long commutes. South and North Charlotte are nice and safe areas to live, I would look in these areas. Of course if you can afford uptown (downtown Charlotte) then it's a great option as well. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 AM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,727,301 times
Reputation: 1623
Right now we are having a massive infiltration of people in OHIO picking charlotte as where they want to live. Thats great but there is a long long long long long long line of people already here needing work so its best to bring the job WITH YOU...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2011, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Lansing, MI
2,953 posts, read 6,147,695 times
Reputation: 3254
Gaston County is continually hiring for police officers, so that could be a foot in the door. But, I think the starting pay is $30K/yr or less.

Why Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,615,347 times
Reputation: 39870
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Sounds like you decided to move before you found a job, I won't recommend it. When I moved here from CA 2 years ago, I had my job lined up first. There are lots of local folks looking for work here, unemployement in Charlotte is edging 11% and like what "LovesMountains" said, you will figure where to live on based on where your job is except if you don't mind long commutes. South and North Charlotte are nice and safe areas to live, I would look in these areas. Of course if you can afford uptown (downtown Charlotte) then it's a great option as well. Good luck

So well said happehart

No one should plan to come to Charlotte without first securing a job - the competition is stiff and the job market is tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:45 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top