Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,175 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are strongly considering a move to the Charlotte area from New York. We have a 6 month old so schools will be a large deciding factor on where we settle. We heard that Cox Mill Elementary in Concord is great. Can anyone give us other schools that are good. We were also thinking about Antioch Elementary in Matthews. We plan to work in Charlotte and would like our commute to be 35 minutes or less. Any suggestions will be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 01:06 PM

983 posts, read 2,542,705 times
Search thru the threads and you will find a lot of your questions already answered in similar threads. Everyone will tell you have a job before you come, this will help you choose where to live. Lots of unemployment here so don't move without a job. Good luck

Old 03-30-2011, 01:12 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Don't come down until you have job offer in hand.

As for location .. if you can land a job, you'll want to be within a decent proximity of the job. The city is very spread out.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:30 PM

9 posts, read 12,591 times
I moved here 5 years ago. I have a 4, 2, and 1 year old. We are in Waxhaw, NC. We love it here. Elementary school is Sandy Ridge, high and middle Marvin. It's a great place to raise a family.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angied1023 View Post
I moved here 5 years ago. I have a 4, 2, and 1 year old. We are in Waxhaw, NC. We love it here. Elementary school is Sandy Ridge, high and middle Marvin. It's a great place to raise a family.
But a terrible commute if your job is in uptown or north of uptown

I'm glad you are happy were you are though, it IS a great area. I would just caution anyone thinking of coming to Charlotte to first have a job (no easy feat sometimes) and THEN let the job location lead you to the best homes and schools near that location

Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDavis View Post
My husband and I are strongly considering a move to the Charlotte area from New York. We have a 6 month old so schools will be a large deciding factor on where we settle. We heard that Cox Mill Elementary in Concord is great. Can anyone give us other schools that are good. We were also thinking about Antioch Elementary in Matthews. We plan to work in Charlotte and would like our commute to be 35 minutes or less. Any suggestions will be helpful.
Cox Mill has a very good reputation, so does Antioch, and dozens of other schools

But as we repeat often here, you cannot underestimate the importance of securing a job BEFORE you decide on an area to live in.

IF you are able to get a job, then you can decide on where to live.

Charlotte is VERY spread out. Trust me, you do not want to live on the south end and work on the north end. There are so many nice areas in and around Charlotte that depending on where you will be working you will have lots of choices!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:00 AM

3 posts, read 3,434 times
My children are at Antioch. It is a decent school, but there are other school just as good. Definitely not worth moving without a job or long commute. Others have given you great advice.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,175 times
Thanks everyone. We are probably going to rent for a couple of months and then let the location of job narrow our search. Keeping in mind that we can move jobs so nothing is set in stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte