U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 05:20 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,794,673 times

Advertisements

I looks like something new is coming from the Charlotte Whitewater Center. They are calling it a canopy tour and this is how they describe it on their website. The Catawba river and woods are very nice near the WWC but are pretty hard to get to. This will make it a lot easier.
"The Canopy Tour is the newest way to experience the USNWC. Rediscover the outdoors as you explore the woodlands along the Catawba River and portions of the Historic Tuckaseegee Ford and Trail. Participants are guided through the tree canopy traveling from platform to platform on a series of zips, sky bridges, rappels and other high adventure challenges.
The tour reaches heights in excess of 60 feet in the hardwood trees that lace a 90 foot deep canyon before working its way through a wetlands delta and then proceeding along the banks of the Catawba River. Along the tour, your guides will highlight the unique natural elements of our environment as well as the historical significance of the area.
The Canopy Tour will open in the spring of 2011."

The Canopy Tour at the USNWC | U.S. National Whitewater Center

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 05:52 PM

3,816 posts, read 3,311,734 times
Awesome!

I love the Whitewater Center!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:31 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,028,195 times
I think the Whitewater center will eventually evolve into an outdoor lover's theme park (not an actual theme park; just a fun place to experience all sorts of outdoor activities).

Old 03-31-2011, 03:55 PM

2,953 posts, read 6,143,185 times
Pretty sweet!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,704,320 times
Great!
W ehave been looking at this sort of thing elsewhere,so great to know there's one that's close.
Having said that as much as I like the idea I'm frightened of heights

Old 04-01-2011, 06:22 AM

24 posts, read 35,834 times
I <3 the Whitewater Center.
This weekend they are having the Hope Floats duckrace. A really fun charity event to support Kindermourn which helps families that have either had a child pass away or a parent.

They put a thousand or so little yellow rubber duckies in the whitewater and race them.

You can buy a Quack Pack for $25 (6 ducks).

We will be taking the kids out to watch.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:37 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,057,101 times
Sounds great I am planning on the family going there this summer just have to figure out what to do with the 4 year old since most of the stuff I am looking into is not for his age group. I mainly want to get my 15 year old out and doing this kind of stuff for the experience.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:45 PM

24 posts, read 35,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
Sounds great I am planning on the family going there this summer just have to figure out what to do with the 4 year old since most of the stuff I am looking into is not for his age group. I mainly want to get my 15 year old out and doing this kind of stuff for the experience.
At one time 4 year olds could go on a kayaking trip with adult. And I think they might be able to do a climb. I'm not really sure.

I did find that the Nantahala Outdoor Center has a couple rivers they run trips on. There's the Lower Pigeon River outside of Gatlinburg, TN that 4 year olds can go on. their website is Whitewater rafting on the Nantahala, Ocoee, Chattooga, Pigeon, French Broad, Nolichucky and Cheoah Rivers with NOC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte