U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 AM

2,196 posts, read 2,585,732 times

Advertisements

First off, I applaud you for looking to find activities for your teen.

Does your community have a social group for parents? I was involved in a social club that had events for kids and teens. The group planned outings and parties etc.

If you are involved in church, thats a good place. If your church doesn't have teen activities, time to start some.

Church activities and high school sports and events was BIG for me. I want to a parochial school, so the same social group pretty much followed us from birth to graduation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 08:27 AM

972 posts, read 1,302,629 times
There are some great suggestions for occasional hanging out time away from home. The Y is a bit hit with my kids and my students.

For more day-to-day type gatherings, we made sure our house was the fun place to be. I even gave up my dining room for a pool table. We have strict rules about behavior, which just seems to draw more kids - they feel safe here. That also allows us to get to know who our children's friends are.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:15 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,682,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Many of the YMCA's offer Middle School Madness (dances) during the school year on Saturday nights. The Jewish Community Center does their own version, open to everyone, called Jammin' At the Jay. Kids from all different schools attend these dances, so you don't expect to know a lot of people going. As long as you have one friend to go with you, you can have a lot of fun. My son always ended up meeting new people there.

I don't believe in dropping kids off at the mall - too risky for the young teen set. When my son was that age (pre-driving) a group of us moms would bring them to Stonecrest to meet their friends. They could eat and then walk to the movies while we moms hung out nearby at another eatery having a night out ourselves.

When I was in my early teens (7th grade through 10th), the Boys and Girls club was my 2nd home. I would strongly recommend that, as long as they have them here...

Old 04-01-2011, 03:32 PM

3,073 posts, read 4,499,427 times
Another idea would be to have some pop corn.. You place 4 or 5 cell phones in a circle around the not popped bag of pop corn. Then dial the number to all of the phones and watch the micro waves pop the pop corn....This is no joke ,I saw them do it on TV.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:51 PM

17 posts, read 22,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Another idea would be to have some pop corn.. You place 4 or 5 cell phones in a circle around the not popped bag of pop corn. Then dial the number to all of the phones and watch the micro waves pop the pop corn....This is no joke ,I saw them do it on TV.
Funny!! Maybe, we'll give that a try when the kids are bored!

My house is usually the main hangout and we like it that way. When it's not my daughter (12.5) likes to hang out with friends at Carolina Stars, gym. She's been going since 3 years old. Friday nights is open gym and anyone can go. They just have to have a signed waiver which is on their web-site. If you don't live in the southwest area of Charlotte then check around your area for something simular.

Another idea...again if youre in the Southwest Charlotte area is the Skate park in Fort Mill. If you have a boy that is! A lot of the pre-teen and teen aged boys like to hang there. From what I've heard it's a great place as well.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:01 PM

417 posts, read 646,343 times
Thanks for all the suggestions! Our kids are in Catholic school and becauase of (sadly) the stories of drug use, etc. off campus they think themselves worldly. But they aren;t. They really haven't got a clue in some regards...not in terms of dealing with people, situations, etc.
They also have friends all over the county, from Davidson to Matthews. That becomes an issue.

However, you all have come up with some great ideas that I will implement. They are just aginmg out of Middle School Madness at the Y. They went bowling in S. Charlotte last night in a large group. They do the movies a lot and were glad to do something different. A mom with older kids was there, she has BTDT and gave many of the suggestions you all have, offered her home and said school sports games are a good place to meet and hang out (food, bathrooms, police...and an enclosed area!). So, the kids are getting excited about spreading their wings a bit, but do seem glad to have direction on how to do so safely!
Thanks for the idea--
Taben

Old 04-03-2011, 06:13 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,219,523 times
Kudos for the YMCA. I joined a very active Y about 5 weeks ago (in another state) that starts up at 6am and ends at 10pm seven (7) days a week. I have their program brochure for Jan-June in my hand and it's 70 pages thick. Hard not to find an activity that doesn't suit every member of the family.

And BTW( for adults )it's a LOT cheaper than these fancy sport/health clubs that are out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte