Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 PM

74 posts, read 142,754 times

Advertisements

I've briefly read an article that talks about a bill in the North Carolina legislature that, if passed, would prevent communities from taking matters into their own hands and building advanced broadband networks. That would leave us all subject to the mercy of Time Warner and Comcast. Of course, the bill is heavily supported by Time Warner.

Anyone have an additional info/links or knowledge on this bill/subject? How could the State Assembly even consider such legislation? (We could probably all guess why...) Personally, I was going to look into how Charlotte could invest in a state-of-the-art broadband network. (In a fiscally responsible manner, of course. I belong to the Junior Chamber)

What is everyone's thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarth08 View Post
I've briefly read an article that talks about a bill in the North Carolina legislature that, if passed, would prevent communities from taking matters into their own hands and building advanced broadband networks. That would leave us all subject to the mercy of Time Warner and Comcast. Of course, the bill is heavily supported by Time Warner.

Anyone have an additional info/links or knowledge on this bill/subject? How could the State Assembly even consider such legislation? (We could probably all guess why...) Personally, I was going to look into how Charlotte could invest in a state-of-the-art broadband network. (In a fiscally responsible manner, of course. I belong to the Junior Chamber)

What is everyone's thoughts?
I'm not at all happy about this, since Cleveland County is building a network & Kings Mountain is looking at extending this to residents. There's a thread on this on the state forum & it sounds shady, if what was posted there about this is true.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
It is HOUSE BILL 129

Here's one article: DailyTech - You've Got a Friend in Me: NC House Backs Big Telecom, Passes Anti-Municipal Internet Bill

The text of the bill is here: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions...PDF/H129v3.pdf

The title is: AN ACT TO PROTECT JOBS AND INVESTMENT BY REGULATING LOCAL GOVERNMENT COMPETITION WITH PRIVATE BUSINESS.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
It's nice to see our politicians have the people's best interests in mind....

Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Believe me there are people working hard to make what we pay for internet use just like what we pay for gasoline.....You pay up at their set price or you do without....Greedonomics at its best.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:43 AM

540 posts, read 1,706,409 times
Hopefully, if it passes the legislature, gets vetoed by the Governor. This folk, is what you get when you put people in office that only want to help big corporations...

Old 03-31-2011, 06:14 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,260 times
It's not the job of the government to build/provide internet connections/access.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,257 times
Supposedly the bill is being put forth by heavy lobbing by AT&T and Time Warner Cable who didn't like the fact that Salisbury put in a municipal system that brings fiber to the home. Salisbury has higher Internet speeds and lower prices than either.

North Carolina House Passes Anti-Community Fiber Bill - Fourth Time May be a Charm for Time Warner Cable | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 AM

103 posts, read 395,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
It's not the job of the government to build/provide internet connections/access.
Seems like the same people might argue against government spending...

I'd be all for a city/county/state funded system if it were going to pay for itself, but sadly, like everything else our government sticks it's nose in, we'll end up paying just as much if not more and the government goes in the hole further anyways..

Old 03-31-2011, 11:06 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Like here in Mooresville where the citizens were hung out by the town for a $90M investment so they can play cable TV company. Yep, the town (and other nearby towns) bought the former Adelphia local assets. TWC had been the steward until the town made the purchase and everything was fine.

We already had a good cable structure in place that TWC was going to upgrade. Instead the town "leaders" (using the term loosely) saddled us with massive debt, duplicated everything that TWC had in place already (office, employees, vehicles, advertising, etc) and now TWC is in town competing with them anyway!

Governments should not be in competition for services like this with private companies. There is enough choice out there with TWC, Windstream, Dish, DirecTV, etc. that the town should not have gambled with our financial well-being.

I'd wish for this bill to pass, but some wheeling and dealing has already been done to exempt our Mickey Mouse cable company from enforcement. What a shame!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte