U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:29 PM

44,002 posts, read 53,931,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
It does make sense to do that and I never said that shouldn't be part of someones moving down process...but you are assuming that everyone will just love the area that someone works in. Also if they come to Charlotte to "escape the hell", why do 4 out of 5 posters on the CHARLOTTE board ask a new person who is thinking of moving here "where are you going to be working, this way we can suggest some neighborhoods because you don't want to commute in Charlotte"?

Go ask the people rotting on Independence everyday how long their commute is. Even the people that ride the train....46 minutes roundtrip from South Blvd. to the city....that's not counting the drive to and from the station.

I don't think anyone is "assuming that everyone will just love the area they work in"

What we are saying is that as spread out as Charlotte is, people should look to live AS CLOSE TO the area they work in as possible.

We all know living in the actual work area itself is not always possible or practical.

But there is no way you'd want to be working in say, Mooresville and living in Waxhaw.

People need to be aware that there are many great places to live around the metro, but commute times and aggravation can be greatly increased if you don't choose wisely BASED ON WHERE YOU WORK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 01:26 PM

174 posts, read 283,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I don't think anyone is "assuming that everyone will just love the area they work in"

What we are saying is that as spread out as Charlotte is, people should look to live AS CLOSE TO the area they work in as possible.

We all know living in the actual work area itself is not always possible or practical.

But there is no way you'd want to be working in say, Mooresville and living in Waxhaw.

People need to be aware that there are many great places to live around the metro, but commute times and aggravation can be greatly increased if you don't choose wisely BASED ON WHERE YOU WORK.
I'll clarify.....a 1-way commute of up to 45 minutes should not be a deterrent for choosing a place to live. Especially since this seems to be about the same or even less of a commute time for so many people moving here from more highly populated and congested areas.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:35 PM

44,002 posts, read 53,931,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
I'll clarify.....a 1-way commute of up to 45 minutes should not be a deterrent for choosing a place to live. Especially since this seems to be about the same or even less of a commute time for so many people moving here from more highly populated and congested areas.
I completely, but respectfully, disagree

Just because you personally would not mind a 45 minute commute does not mean everyone should just accept one without question!

I personally would HATE, DETEST and ABHOR a commute of over 20 minutes in city traffic.

And traffic in Charlotte wouldn't have to be as bad as it is if more people just made a conscious effort to live closer to where they work.

One of my pet peeves about newcomers is when they come from some place where long commutes are a way of life and just bring that mentality with them, not minding that they are adding to the major congestion all around Charlotte when they don't want to at least try to live nearer to where they work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte