U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:05 PM

14 posts, read 62,538 times

Advertisements

Help --- we are going crazy looking for homes in Waxhaw NC.

We want to be in Marvin school district #1, then we would like to find a community where the lot sizes are larger.

We love Shea Homes in Barrington however the lot sizes are too small.

We actually priced a house with Shea Homes and they will build it on our own lot if we could just find one (that is reasonably priced) in a community.

We found a few lots for sale in Chatsworth. I like the lot size however not too sure about resale value as it only has about 35 homes and NO amenity center.

We will be new to the area and our kids - ages 9 and 11 -- wanted to live in a community where there were kids.

We are looking for a community around 150-250 homes (not too large). Any suggestions ?

We looked at Chimneys at Marvin ... we can now afford to go there however all the houses are the same ...no customization.

I liked Lake Forest Preserve but the houses are a bit higher than we want to pay for and they are not in Marvin school district. I heard that Weddington and Cuthbertson are good schools too.

Anyone know of any lots where I can put my shea home ?? What do you think about Chatsworth (lot size .80-.90 acres) but no amenities and only a few homes ?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 05:40 PM

305 posts, read 661,526 times
What is your budget? I'm asking because it's my understanding that the homes in Chatsworth go for significantly more than Chimneys.

When we moved to Waxhaw, we, too, were looking for a larger lot size and there aren't that many around that weren't close to the $800K+ range. We ended up with .5 acre only because our desire to be in a certain development with a pool & amenities -- and a too-good deal we couldn't pass up on a foreclosure.

Have you looked at Providence Downs? That is the Marvin school cluster. Some of the lots are closer to 1 acre and the prices cover a fairly wide range. Plus there is a pool, tennis courts, clubhouse, playground, etc.

You could also check out Marvin Creek, although I think most of their lots are around .5 acres. Same with Hunter Oaks, but it's a very popular subdivision with lots of families and activities.

Good Luck.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,615,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine1229 View Post
Help --- we are going crazy looking for homes in Waxhaw NC.

We want to be in Marvin school district #1, then we would like to find a community where the lot sizes are larger.

We love Shea Homes in Barrington however the lot sizes are too small.

We actually priced a house with Shea Homes and they will build it on our own lot if we could just find one (that is reasonably priced) in a community.

We found a few lots for sale in Chatsworth. I like the lot size however not too sure about resale value as it only has about 35 homes and NO amenity center.

We will be new to the area and our kids - ages 9 and 11 -- wanted to live in a community where there were kids.

We are looking for a community around 150-250 homes (not too large). Any suggestions ?

We looked at Chimneys at Marvin ... we can now afford to go there however all the houses are the same ...no customization.

I liked Lake Forest Preserve but the houses are a bit higher than we want to pay for and they are not in Marvin school district. I heard that Weddington and Cuthbertson are good schools too.

Anyone know of any lots where I can put my shea home ?? What do you think about Chatsworth (lot size .80-.90 acres) but no amenities and only a few homes ?

Thank you

You need a very local, experienced realtor!

Why are you spinning your wheels and driving yourself crazy without one??

The builder or seller will pay your realtor - it costs you nothing!

Buying a home without one is just not a good idea when you are not from the area.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:53 PM

Thank you "LovesMountains" .. we do have a realtor (actually a few) and they all send me the same house every day.

I think I was wondering if there was anyone out there that knew about Chatsworth and could tell me if there were kids there .. and what they thought about moving to a community where there were NO amenities and only about 35 homes (for resale value)

Or ... if anyone knew of any communities that were selling lots only.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Thank you "LovesMountains" .. we do have a realtor (actually a few) and they all send me the same house every day.

I think I was wondering if there was anyone out there that knew about Chatsworth and could tell me if there were kids there .. and what they thought about moving to a community where there were NO amenities and only about 35 homes (for resale value)

Or ... if anyone knew of any communities that were selling lots only.

Whew, lol You had me worried there!

Really, any realtor who actively works that area should be able to answer these questions very well for you though

Old 04-01-2011, 09:08 PM

I was looking for a bias opinion of Chatsworth. I realize that realtors are trying to make a sale (absolutely cannot blame them). I wanted to hear from someone with kids that has moved to this area and knew about this community.

My husband and i are having trouble making a decision. We have narrowed it down to a few communities and each one has something we don't like about it. (we will just have to figure out what is more important)

Let me first say -- this is only my OPINION and I don't want to insult anyone that lives in these communities.

Chimneys @ Marvin -- like the lot size, amenities, school district; don't like that they do not have trees on the lots and that all the house are pretty much the same. (they won't customize your home .. they have about 6 plans and you choose from them)

Barrington -- love the homes there, amenities are ok, school district is perfect; don't like that you are right next to your neighbor (and I mean RIGHT NEXT TO THEM)

Marvin Creek -- beautiful homes, amazing amenities, school district is Marvin; don't like the fact that we could only afford the bottom home .. would be giving up a nicer home and the amenity fee is on the high side (understandably though)

Hollister & Weddington Trace -- gorgeous homes and decent amenities; Huge Power Lines on their property

Lake Forest Preserve -- love the lot size and the homes and the amenities; school district is weddington which I have heard was good too; Homes are just a bit pricey and we also heard that Orleans had filed Chapter 11.

Ideally I would like to stay in the Marvin School district. We'll see what happens.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I was looking for a bias opinion of Chatsworth. I realize that realtors are trying to make a sale (absolutely cannot blame them). I wanted to hear from someone with kids that has moved to this area and knew about this community.

My husband and i are having trouble making a decision. We have narrowed it down to a few communities and each one has something we don't like about it. (we will just have to figure out what is more important)

Let me first say -- this is only my OPINION and I don't want to insult anyone that lives in these communities.

Chimneys @ Marvin -- like the lot size, amenities, school district; don't like that they do not have trees on the lots and that all the house are pretty much the same. (they won't customize your home .. they have about 6 plans and you choose from them)

Barrington -- love the homes there, amenities are ok, school district is perfect; don't like that you are right next to your neighbor (and I mean RIGHT NEXT TO THEM)

Marvin Creek -- beautiful homes, amazing amenities, school district is Marvin; don't like the fact that we could only afford the bottom home .. would be giving up a nicer home and the amenity fee is on the high side (understandably though)

Hollister & Weddington Trace -- gorgeous homes and decent amenities; Huge Power Lines on their property

Lake Forest Preserve -- love the lot size and the homes and the amenities; school district is weddington which I have heard was good too; Homes are just a bit pricey and we also heard that Orleans had filed Chapter 11.

Ideally I would like to stay in the Marvin School district. We'll see what happens.

Christine, honestly I understand your apprehension about just trusting any realtor without them earning that trust.

But believe me, there are some really good ones out there who are NOT going to just say what you want them to say to make a sale.

A few bad ones with dollar signs in their eyes do not represent ALL realtors, okay?

I happen to know several who are in real estate to actually help people. They even become friends with most of their clients. They don't do what they do just for the money - they do it because they love the relationships they gain with some great folks they get to help.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:19 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,557,817 times
Did you only want new construction? I am asking because you might have better luck finding what you are looking for in a newer resale.

Regarding the question about kids in a neighborhood, I tell my clients that the best way to assess that is to drive around the community when the school bus is scheduled to arrive -- that will give you a good sense.

Best of luck to you -- Union County is a great place to live!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:41 PM

904 posts, read 1,404,558 times
Waxhaw, NC Neighborhoods

Old 04-04-2011, 08:43 AM

123 posts, read 246,493 times
Try Lawson in Waxhaw. Great amenities, great schools nearby, and new construction and/or resales!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or