U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:54 AM

8,234 posts, read 9,551,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampart2 View Post
I looked up the average Temp and Humidity for both areas.

Basically, the average temp and humidity is higher in Florida, and for a longer period. But there isn't much of a difference really. A couple days and a few degrees different from Charlotte..

On the other hand, the record highs, and fluctuation are higher and more drastic up here, which surprised me

So I guess you are both right to some extent..
Does Charlotte get more "extreme" in terms of high temps than Florida? Absolutely, as the poster pointed out, so does Bismarck, ND. However those few times that it does, IMO does not compare to the constant brutality of the florida weather.....

For example, the average heat index for Charlotte only averages above 80 from May-Sept (as follows)...80,88,94,91,83. For Tampa, FL, you have SEVEN months where the average heat index averages above 80. April through October as follows...81,88,96,99,99,96,85......

Absolutely brutal.

The only people who it affects less are natives to the region because they are much more used to it. But if you are an outsider and are not used to it, no question the Florida climate is much more tougher on the skin and the body......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 02:44 PM

5,193 posts, read 3,585,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Does Charlotte get more "extreme" in terms of high temps than Florida? Absolutely, as the poster pointed out, so does Bismarck, ND. However those few times that it does, IMO does not compare to the constant brutality of the florida weather.....

For example, the average heat index for Charlotte only averages above 80 from May-Sept (as follows)...80,88,94,91,83. For Tampa, FL, you have SEVEN months where the average heat index averages above 80. April through October as follows...81,88,96,99,99,96,85......

Absolutely brutal.

The only people who it affects less are natives to the region because they are much more used to it. But if you are an outsider and are not used to it, no question the Florida climate is much more tougher on the skin and the body......

Its not comparable...Florida inland is brutally hot , the coast you ring your shirt out on summer evenings...you cant win down there.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:45 PM

273 posts, read 295,474 times
I moved from MA and will take the heat over the brutal winters any day! And what stinks about when its hot up north is AC is not as common and now that I've been spoiled with central AC, window units just won't do!
I love the weather here and like that it isn't gray and depressing like my native MA! I do not miss snow or driving in it, walking through it, seeing mounds of it until June!
I can't really compare the heating/cooling costs since I moved from a small 100 year old home to a large new home.
I don't miss MA at all...love it here in Charlotte, NC!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:56 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,257,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Factual? Are you kidding? Orlando in July is like Hades on Earth. .
Yea experienced 6 Summers there, thanks. And yes, factual. The daily high temp in FL is lower than Charlotte in the Summer months.

Did you miss the chart I made from NWS data?

http://www.jviello.com/personal02/forum/charlotte-vs-venice.jpg (broken link)

Seems last year there were week long stretches over 100* with a dew points approaching 80*! That's frickin hot by any standard.

Quote:
Here's what you are missing or ignoring. During the summer months, most of Florida's heat index reaches 100 or better on a regular basis which is extremely uncomfortable.
No I hear you...I'm not a big believer in indexes. I prefer to look at all the data such as dew point, sun angle etc and come to my own conclusions.

Quote:
its the DEW POINT which makes it extremely unbearable. Its generally on the line of a Savannah GA or Charleston SC which summers are just as brutal. Furthermore, florida being 600-700 miles further south do not receive back door or cool fronts for that matter until the fall....translation, no temporary cooling.

Charlotte being a couple hundred miles from the coast AND being 600+ft in sea level automatically gives itself its own A/C at night in the summer. Something unheard of in Florida during those months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I understand you perfectly ..but its not just about temperature!!! What part of THAT are you not understanding?
For both of you, that's what I said! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
One big factor in Charlotte is the dew points are lower (Yes, less humidity than Florida).
If you guys would stop, go back and read my original post you might find we are in agreement.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:05 PM

816 posts, read 714,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
True unbearable summer heat in Charlotte is very short-lived (July and August), compared to many more months of snow, ice and cold you guys get up there in New England

Charlotte is a very treed city, so everything is just very lush and green in the summer. I find it very pretty! And the summer heat has never prevented me, or anyone I know, from getting outside and doing yard work, taking a run or just shooting the breeze in the driveway with neighbors.

Now, be forewarned, we have one regular poster here who HATES the Charlotte summers. He will be along shortly I'm sure to tell you ALL about it and how dreadfully awful it is

But honestly, I think the absolute worst of the worst is about only about 3 weeks long - the end of July to about the end of August. You can endure it for that short a period of time, I'm sure!
Coming from Long Island, I find this to be the most accurate description of CLT's climate. Winter generally runs December to February and is usually light compared to New England. Aside from those few weeks in July and August, everything else is gravy.

Generally, the avarage summer day in the NYC area in July and August is about 85* or so. In CLT, that is May and most of June and then September and a little of October. During the span in July and August the average high in CLT is around 95*. Everyday. Contrary to popular belief though, +100* days are the exception, not the norm. Humidity seems to be less than it is up north.

Compared to the November to April dead zone up north, the weather here to me is much more enjoyable.

If you're worried about the heat, the foothills and and mountains offer a bit more cooler summers and you still get snow.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:10 PM

5,972 posts, read 11,636,998 times
I lived for 10 years in CT. Temps never dipped much lower than -20F even with the wind chill. The summer of 1999 was the most brutal in terms of humidity. My mother who spent the summer with us said that it was worse than any summer she spent growing up in the Philippines. Most summers I remember to be humid, but not as humid as down here in Charlotte. Utilities wise, hubby estimates about a $600 per year more (oil and electric vs electric and gas here) in CT. It isn't the heat or cold that drove us down here...it was driving in the snow, shoveling and plowing the snow, getting out of work to pick up the kids within the hour while driving in blizzard-like condition because students were let out early, etc. etc. AND the outrageous property taxes of CT. In summary, I would say the trade off will still make me lean in favor of Charlotte.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Coming from Long Island, I find this to be the most accurate description of CLT's climate. Winter generally runs December to February and is usually light compared to New England. Aside from those few weeks in July and August, everything else is gravy.

Generally, the avarage summer day in the NYC area in July and August is about 85* or so. In CLT, that is May and most of June and then September and a little of October. During the span in July and August the average high in CLT is around 95*. Everyday. Contrary to popular belief though, +100* days are the exception, not the norm. Humidity seems to be less than it is up north.

Compared to the November to April dead zone up north, the weather here to me is much more enjoyable.

If you're worried about the heat, the foothills and and mountains offer a bit more cooler summers and you still get snow.
June can be murder......

Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 PM

1,940 posts, read 906,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yea experienced 6 Summers there, thanks. And yes, factual. The daily high temp in FL is lower than Charlotte in the Summer months.

Did you miss the chart I made from NWS data?

Seems last year there were week long stretches over 100* with a dew points approaching 80*! That's frickin hot by any standard.

No I hear you...I'm not a big believer in indexes. I prefer to look at all the data such as dew point, sun angle etc and come to my own conclusions.

For both of you, that's what I said! LOL

If you guys would stop, go back and read my original post you might find we are in agreement.
Any statistician worth their salt would NEVER base anything on 1 period of data (1 year), given there are years when Charlotte probably has had colder winters than cities in the midwest. A minimum of 50 data samples (or 50 years).

Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 PM

100 posts, read 212,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I got news for you...the record highs in CONNECTICUT are higher than Florida...this is nutty! Its hotter and more humid for much longer duration in Florida . If this argument is which place has the more extreme temps then yes, Charlotte does, so does friggin Bismarck North Dakota...and thats a fact...geez...would you say its hotter in summer there???
That is news..

Since when is 106 higher than 109? Very curious...

Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampart2 View Post
That is news..

Since when is 106 higher than 109? Very curious...
Glad you spent the time to investigate... I think my point speaks for itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte