U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:01 AM

60 posts, read 55,724 times
Thank you !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 11:37 AM

Thank you Diane,
I feel funny calling you but appreciate your help. What schools are good or should I avoid? HOA's are making it hard for me to find a place I can put up my own above ground pool - and still have city water/sewer..do you know of any? I was looking over at Yorkshire but can't have a pool and the lady would only come down $ 2k on her house...I know there is the great aquatic center there but I really like my own pool in my own yard - and it helps keep all the kids together and my eye on them. ANy advice you have on areas, towns or anything is greatly appreciated..

Old 06-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Status: "Union County Booster Club - Treasurer" (set 23 days ago)

8,303 posts, read 9,775,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harfordmom View Post
Thank you Diane,
I feel funny calling you but appreciate your help. What schools are good or should I avoid? HOA's are making it hard for me to find a place I can put up my own above ground pool - and still have city water/sewer..do you know of any? I was looking over at Yorkshire but can't have a pool and the lady would only come down $ 2k on her house...I know there is the great aquatic center there but I really like my own pool in my own yard - and it helps keep all the kids together and my eye on them. ANy advice you have on areas, towns or anything is greatly appreciated..
Harformom, like you, before I moved here I had a pool in my yard...loved it. However, if you choose a subdivision w/an HOA and a community pool, I say 99% like it more (w/a community pool.)

There are lifeguards and that's how we made a ton of friends (kabbitzing w/the neighbors at the pool). Plus, you don't have to waste all that time w/maintaining it...that is what part of your dues would be for...

Don't want to totally sway your decision, but I know where you're coming from....

Old 06-05-2011, 01:33 PM

414 posts, read 526,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Harformom, like you, before I moved here I had a pool in my yard...loved it. However, if you choose a subdivision w/an HOA and a community pool, I say 99% like it more (w/a community pool.)

There are lifeguards and that's how we made a ton of friends (kabbitzing w/the neighbors at the pool). Plus, you don't have to waste all that time w/maintaining it...that is what part of your dues would be for...

Don't want to totally sway your decision, but I know where you're coming from....
Ditto

Old 06-05-2011, 05:30 PM

Thanks CouponJack - I understand what your saying and will use the Community pool if there is one as well - for social reasons, but I still like the relaxation of the backyard pool - I know where the kids are, I'm right there, and with it 100 degrees there from May - Sept I can open and close it when I want to.

I know I'm a rare breed and possibly spoiled in this way, but it's a family time thing we all love - I appreciate your insight and understand what your saying -

Old 06-05-2011, 05:43 PM

43,739 posts, read 53,292,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Matthews is all Mecklenburg County. Part of Mint Hill is in Union County. Counties can't take land from other counties in North Carolina.

Sigh, almost right

ALL of Mint Hill is in Mecklenburg County, just like ALL of Matthews is in Mecklenburg County.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:07 PM

414 posts, read 526,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sigh, almost right

ALL of Mint Hill is in Mecklenburg County, just like ALL of Matthews is in Mecklenburg County.
OK, how about is this an exception? My husband has golfed with friends at Old Syacmore in Mint Hill? There are some houses that were built in Union County and the others are Mecklenberg County right in the same development. Right?

Old 06-06-2011, 03:14 PM

43,739 posts, read 53,292,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsN Charlotte View Post
OK, how about is this an exception? My husband has golfed with friends at Old Syacmore in Mint Hill? There are some houses that were built in Union County and the others are Mecklenberg County right in the same development. Right?
The neighborhood is half in Mecklenburg half in Union county - kind of like the way Carowinds Amusement park is half in North Carolina and half in South Carolina! This is not so unusual. The people on the Union County side go to Union County schools and the Meck sides goes to Charlotte schools. Address for all can still read "Mint Hill" because that is simply where they get their mail from, the Mint Hill post office. But Mint Hill is NOT in Union County.

You are not the first newcomer to be confused

Old 02-03-2012, 01:55 PM

13 posts, read 16,346 times
We just moved to Matthews a year ago and really like it. Its a very cute little town that is close to everything. It is also very family oriented as it hosts alot of outdoor events in their local stumptown park. If you want a feel of it go the the towns website. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte