Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times

Advertisements

Welcome To The Midnight Diner - Charlotte recently opened on Carson Street. I went there today for breakfast and wanted to share my experience.

It definitely looks like a diner and we were seated promptly. The server did take a little long to come to our table and seemed frazzled but overall she did a great job.

My wife had the omelete (sp?) with bacon. It was tasty and the bacon was delicious (applewood). The grits were very creamy and almost edible to me (I hate grits). The biscuit was a bit dry but at least they gave real butter to spread on it.

I had a Carolina Burger. Their burgers are 1/2 lb so it was plenty of food. The chili was not all that thick but was very tasty. The slaw is apparently homemade and was good as well. The fries were natural cut and seemed to be fresh. Finally, I had a chocolate milkshake. It was made with real ice cream but not as thick as I usually like it. That is a personal preference though and I didn't ask her to make it thick so I don't blame them for that.

Anyway, it is a good place to go and I will be returning.

BTW, their score was 96.5 for those who are interested in such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 12:16 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,990,741 times
Is it a NY style diner? Do they use homefries instead of hashbrowns? This area is lacking good diners!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:40 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
I couldn't say if it is NY style or not, since I don't really know what that entails. The menu says hash browns.

You might like Mattie's Diner. They moved the actual building from NJ to over by The Music Factory.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Welcome To The Midnight Diner - Charlotte recently opened on Carson Street. I went there today for breakfast and wanted to share my experience.

It definitely looks like a diner and we were seated promptly. The server did take a little long to come to our table and seemed frazzled but overall she did a great job.

My wife had the omelete (sp?) with bacon. It was tasty and the bacon was delicious (applewood). The grits were very creamy and almost edible to me (I hate grits). The biscuit was a bit dry but at least they gave real butter to spread on it.

I had a Carolina Burger. Their burgers are 1/2 lb so it was plenty of food. The chili was not all that thick but was very tasty. The slaw is apparently homemade and was good as well. The fries were natural cut and seemed to be fresh. Finally, I had a chocolate milkshake. It was made with real ice cream but not as thick as I usually like it. That is a personal preference though and I didn't ask her to make it thick so I don't blame them for that.

Anyway, it is a good place to go and I will be returning.

BTW, their score was 96.5 for those who are interested in such things.
Thanks so much for letting us know about this new place

I will be trying it out soon myself!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thanks so much for letting us know about this place

I will be trying it out soon myself!
This is the diner that was at the truck stop at Exit 5 in Kings Mountain.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,119 times
If you're expecting something like you'd get in a diner in NY or NJ, you'll be really disappointed.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,572 times
Matties diner up by the North Carolina Music Factory (as previously mentioned) has a Jersey vibe to it.I think the guy who runs it is from Jersey. The food is good and they have several Italian dishes on the menu. Lots of hoagies, too.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Is it a NY style diner? Do they use homefries instead of hashbrowns? This area is lacking good diners!
The Landmark offers homefries AND hashbrowns! Really good diner food.

I've been to Mattie's twice, and both times, the food was only so-so... very dry pot roast, forgettable sandwiches. I was disappointed, I wanted to like it! My son did like his cheese-stuffed meatloaf!

We'll need to give Midnight Diner a try.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
The Landmark offers homefries AND hashbrowns! Really good diner food.

I've been to Mattie's twice, and both times, the food was only so-so... very dry pot roast, forgettable sandwiches. I was disappointed, I wanted to like it! My son did like his cheese-stuffed meatloaf!

We'll need to give Midnight Diner a try.
I really like Landmark. I have been going there a lot even before they were featured on The Food Network. Their Italian and Greek food are awesome! Their whole menu is awesome. I always get one of their specials because of how reasonably priced it is.

Grilled flounder is my favorite. Desserts are great as well.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:51 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
My ranking of a diner is based heavily on their desserts. Who wins in that category?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte