U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 AM

15 posts, read 36,663 times

Advertisements

Three years ago, I was planning to move to Charlotte, NC, but it didn't happen. I had another baby boy 2 years ago. Now I have a 7 and a 2 yr. old. We are planning to move down now. My mom has her house in the Waterlynn subdivison of Mecklenberg County, and she wants us to stay with her, until we decide where we want to live. I need to know how this subdivision is because my mom doesn't really know. She just says that it's nice, they have a park, they have a pool and the stores aren't that far from there. I need to know more than that. She is a home body, so I need people's advice. How are the schools? people? area? employment? any crime? etc...anything else I should know. We are in our mid 30's and are an interracial couple, so having a mixed area to live is important to us. I don't mind staying with my mom until we get on our feet, but also want to know what OTHER subdivision we should be looking at. I'm a teacher, but I'm not working right now and I know how hard it is to get a job in the teaching field. My husband is a lightning technician for entertainment lighting, and he's been looking at some companies out in Charlotte. Any advice and info is truly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,130,431 times
I don't know about Waterlynn in particular, but I live in Steele Creek and I love it here. It's much less crowded than other parts of the city, with less traffic and congestion. I feel that people on this side of town are much more down-to-earth. That area of Steele Creek has some of the lowest crime statistics in the city. Schools are somewhat iffy. The elementary schools are good, and they've recently re-vamped the program at Olympic HS and I've heard nothing but good things. It's very racially diverse - actually all of Charlotte is, in general - and you will have no problem fitting in.

You will probably want to have a job in hand before deciding where to live. The city is quite spread out and if you choose to live in Steele Creek but work in Mint Hill, your commute would be insane.

Best of luck, and feel free to DM me with any questions!

Old 04-05-2011, 11:44 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joce-joce View Post
Three years ago, I was planning to move to Charlotte, NC, but it didn't happen. I had another baby boy 2 years ago. Now I have a 7 and a 2 yr. old. We are planning to move down now. My mom has her house in the Waterlynn subdivison of Mecklenberg County, and she wants us to stay with her, until we decide where we want to live. I need to know how this subdivision is because my mom doesn't really know. She just says that it's nice, they have a park, they have a pool and the stores aren't that far from there. I need to know more than that. She is a home body, so I need people's advice. How are the schools? people? area? employment? any crime? etc...anything else I should know. We are in our mid 30's and are an interracial couple, so having a mixed area to live is important to us. I don't mind staying with my mom until we get on our feet, but also want to know what OTHER subdivision we should be looking at. I'm a teacher, but I'm not working right now and I know how hard it is to get a job in the teaching field. My husband is a lightning technician for entertainment lighting, and he's been looking at some companies out in Charlotte. Any advice and info is truly appreciated

Your mom lives in the Steele Creek area of Charlotte. There is a lot of new retail in that area and some nice neighborhoods. I believe your school assignment would be Winget Park, which is a nice little school - not tops, but far from failing. It is also a pretty diverse school racially.

I think planning to stay with your mom until you learn the "lay of the land" is a good plan. After reading the daily paper, watching the news, spending time in the community, you'll know what feels the most like home to your family.

The unemployment rate in Charlotte is still high. Many people continue to come here without jobs and make the competition for existing jobs pretty stiff. But since you've got your mom to fall back on I can understand giving it a shot. Best of luck in your search!

Old 04-08-2011, 10:03 PM

15 posts, read 36,663 times
Thank you for your replies. Does anyone know if there are any type of crimes in this area? Also, other than the Steele Creek area, what other subdivisions or areas are really good that is in Mecklenberg County so I wouldn't be too far from my mom when I decide to purchase a home?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:01 PM

697 posts, read 1,151,159 times
If you want to be near Steele Creek, you should also consider Ft. Mill, South Carolina. It's very close, the schools are better and taxes are lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or