U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:41 AM

196 posts, read 375,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It may "seem like overkill", but believe me the research that goes into new store locations is extensive.

When a company builds a new store within such close proximity to other locations they are meeting demand for their brand, plain and simple

I agree and know someone gets paid the big bucks to decide where and when to open another location- perhaps it is the presence of HT everytime I turn a corner that gets me. I still don't understand the local loayalty to that store- wish there were some clean mid-range options available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 10:49 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH14 View Post
I agree and know someone gets paid the big bucks to decide where and when to open another location- perhaps it is the presence of HT everytime I turn a corner that gets me. I still don't understand the local loayalty to that store- wish there were some clean mid-range options available.
Well, I'll tell you why I love Harris Teeter and am loyal to them

Harris Teeter stores are all very clean

Harris Teeter employs clean cut cashiers/baggers that actually know how to speak proper English

Harris Teeter has the freshest fruits, veggies and meat of any other chain

IF you purchase some fruit or veggies that turn too quickly or just didn't taste good when you get them home, HT will not only refund your money but DOUBLE IT TOO.

And finally, Harris Teeter is a home grown company. The Harris and Teeter families merged years ago and have turned their company into one of the biggest employers in the region. I like to support the home team

Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Well, I'll tell you why I love Harris Teeter and am loyal to them

Harris Teeter stores are all very clean

Harris Teeter employs clean cut cashiers/baggers that actually know how to speak proper English

Harris Teeter has the freshest fruits, veggies and meat of any other chain

IF you purchase some fruit or veggies that turn too quickly or just didn't taste good when you get them home, HT will not only refund your money but DOUBLE IT TOO.

And finally, Harris Teeter is a home grown company. The Harris and Teeter families merged years ago and have turned their company into one of the biggest employers in the region. I like to support the home team
I am all about supporting local businesses, but find the prices absurd (but then again, this seems to be a trend at all grocery stores in the region). Perhaps groceries are just more expensive here than the west coast. And based on the produce at my local HT- it is sad if this is the best I can find locally.

I suppose I am used to HT level of customer service, quality of food, etc at a normal grocery store. My grocery bill has increased at least 50% (and that is now that I started using a list to reduce costs) since moving here. But then again- I live here now and need to accept it for what it is- just don't understand it.

Anyway...back to Target...

Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
True- they also like to drop F bombs in front my 6yr old- went right to mgmt on that one.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:07 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
True- they also like to drop F bombs in front my 6yr old- went right to mgmt on that one.
Good for you, I would have too. And I'm betting that kid didn't keep his job, as HT takes that kind of thing seriously. Hearing something like that from an HT employee would be the exception, not the rule though.

And yes, we all know prices for fruits and veggies are higher on the east coast than the west.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:20 AM

373 posts, read 669,132 times
Quote:
It may "seem like overkill", but believe me the research that goes into new store locations is extensive.

When a company builds a new store within such close proximity to other locations they are meeting demand for their brand, plain and simple
Yea.
Just ask Hannaford's.

Driving out competition and keeping away new competition has a lot to do with multiple store locations in close proximity. Kind of like why MTV established VH-1 when it first began. There is enough room for two video channels of the same target demographic but not enough for three and four and so on. So in essence, they create their own competition and effectively make it impossible for anyone to tread on their turf. There are only so many people and so many dollars to go around.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:30 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,705,030 times
Quote:
What is a good example of a clean midrange grocery chain? Most of the ones I see are either not clean or not cheap. Were you the one talking about Safeway in the Publix thread? Unless their stores on the west coast are cheaper than their stores on the east coast (doubt it), then I really don't think Safeway is any cheaper than HT, if at all.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,785,813 times
I agree that Harris Teeter runs well staffed clean stores and they are consistent at it. (which is a sign of good management) I do find however their "fresh" produce isn't very fresh. In fact, it's usually sub par despite the high prices. For the prices they charge it's disappointing and at those rates, IMO, it's better to go to a Fresh Market or similar organic store.

On the other question about Target, they originally took over some existing 70's era stores originally called Richway. They then closed these and moved which might be why there are some anomalies in their locations.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:26 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,746,421 times
If ya'll remember, that Target in Blakeney was slated to be a Super Wal-Mart back when that corner was developing, but the surrounding residents said "he no", and Target was built instead.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
What is a good example of a clean midrange grocery chain? Most of the ones I see are either not clean or not cheap. Were you the one talking about Safeway in the Publix thread? Unless their stores on the west coast are cheaper than their stores on the east coast (doubt it), then I really don't think Safeway is any cheaper than HT, if at all.
Yes- I commented on the Publix thread. Perhaps there is just a significant difference in costs between the two coasts. Most of the Safeways I have shopped at were signifcantly lower in costs, yet had a clean, friendly atmosphere. I used to shop with no list and buy extras; now I buy pantry items at Wal-Mart/Target, pick up remainder at HT, and use a list. Although I have changed my shopping habits significantly, my weekly bill has jumped quite a bit- I can't imagine how much I would spend if I bought all my groceries at HT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or