Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,335 times

Advertisements

Do you think Charlotte could be a good fit for me?
I have a good job working for a property investment company. I am living in Columbus, Ohio but I’m thinking about a change. The company I work for has properties in Raleigh and is now buying in Charlotte. My district manager has both the Ohio and North Carolina territories. I have been asked to transfer and help start up the new acquisitions. The decision is completely up to me and I am excited about the possibilities. I am wondering if Charlotte is a good place for me. Before I took my job I had thoughts of moving to the “big city”. I spent six months in D.C. and loved it. I also spent time in Boston while I was growing up and have family in Atlanta and Chicago. I have really enjoyed my time in each of those cities. There are things I really like about Columbus. Some of the neighborhoods in Columbus are fantastic. For those familiar with Columbus my favorite neighborhoods include: German Village, Victorian Village, Brewery District and Grandview. I love the Columbus Zoo and go regularly, year round! I go to The Memorial Tournament every year as well. Some things I enjoy include: running (I am really into fitness), sporting events, classic movies, theater, opera, classical music, festivals, gallery hops, wine tastings, and sitting in cafes reading or people watching. Some things I don’t like would be NASCAR (I think having dental work done is more enjoyable), country music, smoke filled bars, and nightclubs. I have tried to describe myself to give, as well as get, an accurate picture. So how do you think I will like Charlotte? I am planning to spend some weekends there before I decide to move. It would also be nice to have some suggestions of things I shouldn’t miss and things I might enjoy. Thank you for any help you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 AM

9 posts, read 16,195 times
It sounds like you have a great opportunity with your job, something so many people would do anything for. On top of that, a lot of people are moving to Charlotte without a job just because they want to be here (something I advise against!!!) and you have one. The stereotypes of the south having only country music and NASCAR loving rednecks is very wrong and out dated!!! Charlotte a beautiful, growing city, and has something for everyone. Definitely spend time in Charlotte before you decide, but, I’m sure you’ll love it! Good Luck!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 AM

847 posts, read 1,347,385 times
Charlotte pretty much has everything you said you liked plus the weather is certainly warmer here.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:18 AM

16 posts, read 27,733 times
I would definitely recommend a visit before you make such a big move. You can atleast try to get a feel for the city if you spend a little time there and see what kinds of people you run into. Personally, I think you'll like it!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,586,191 times
FYI, while there is a very very nice zoo in Columbia, SC, there is none in Charlotte.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:05 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,113,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
Charlotte pretty much has everything you said you liked plus the weather is certainly warmer here.
No, it doesn't. Charlotte doesn't even compare to the things he/she likes in Columbus.

OP, I would definitely suggest a long visit to Charlotte before you decide. It is a very different city from Columbus. There are no neighborhoods like German Village, Grandview, etc. Basically no old neighborhoods at all, unless you can afford a multi-million dollar mansion. Charlotte does not have any local breweries (they have chains), the art scene is just getting started, and the music scene is absolutely abysmal. I honestly can't think of anything music-wise that I would suggest here. Sports are hit or miss. Obviously nothing can compare to the Buckeyes. We have the Wells Fargo Championship (golf), and it's pretty fun, although compared to the Memorial there are more people here that go to see and be seen than to watch golf. Crowds at every sporting event here are pretty subdued as well. We are known for our quiet football stadium.

The weather is phenomenal, though I never had allergies in Ohio and I have them every year here. Some years are worse than others, but it's worth it to have such nice weather. I enjoy being so close to the mountains, and within a short(er) distance to the beach and to Atlanta, Charleston, Florida and DC. I am a hiker and there are lots of trails around, though most of them are absolutely mobbed during the weekend.

If it's possible for you, visit not only on the weekend but during the week as well. That way you can get a feel for everyday life here, not just the carefree weekend vibe. Take a trip out to the Whitewater Center too - that's where we take all of our guests, and they love it. Best of luck! (p.s. I grew up in Grandview and graduated from Dublin HS. I've lived in Charlotte for 6 years, just for your reference. )

Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,540,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimari View Post
Do you think Charlotte could be a good fit for me?
I have a good job working for a property investment company. I am living in Columbus, Ohio but I’m thinking about a change. The company I work for has properties in Raleigh and is now buying in Charlotte. My district manager has both the Ohio and North Carolina territories. I have been asked to transfer and help start up the new acquisitions. The decision is completely up to me and I am excited about the possibilities. I am wondering if Charlotte is a good place for me. Before I took my job I had thoughts of moving to the “big cityâ€. I spent six months in D.C. and loved it. I also spent time in Boston while I was growing up and have family in Atlanta and Chicago. I have really enjoyed my time in each of those cities. There are things I really like about Columbus. Some of the neighborhoods in Columbus are fantastic. For those familiar with Columbus my favorite neighborhoods include: German Village, Victorian Village, Brewery District and Grandview. I love the Columbus Zoo and go regularly, year round! I go to The Memorial Tournament every year as well. Some things I enjoy include: running (I am really into fitness), sporting events, classic movies, theater, opera, classical music, festivals, gallery hops, wine tastings, and sitting in cafes reading or people watching. Some things I don’t like would be NASCAR (I think having dental work done is more enjoyable), country music, smoke filled bars, and nightclubs. I have tried to describe myself to give, as well as get, an accurate picture. So how do you think I will like Charlotte? I am planning to spend some weekends there before I decide to move. It would also be nice to have some suggestions of things I shouldn’t miss and things I might enjoy. Thank you for any help you can give me!
This might be of interest to you. The Carolina Thread Trail

Old 04-05-2011, 10:52 AM

8 posts, read 15,618 times
Default See For Yourself

I moved to Charlotte from Columbus a few years ago and am familiar with everything you said you like up there.

Charlotte has many different neighborhoods. There are none quite like the ones around Columbus, but that is because the area is much newer and was settled by different immigrants. The comparison can't be done. There are similar areas. Dilworth, Elizabeth, Wilmore, and Plaza-Midwood I would say are similar.

The North Carolina zoo is in Asheboro, which is about 1 1/2 hours east of Charlotte. There is a recent organization that is trying to establish a zoo in Charlotte.

Coastalgirl above is incorrect about the local brewery. We do have one here - Olde Mecklenberg Brewery (http://http://www.oldemeckbrew.com/ - broken link) is located off of Old Pineville Rd. They have a tap room where you can taste their beers and socialize. I will say that it isn't in the best location (i.e. walkable), which it needs to be.

One thing that is different from Columbus is that within the city, most businesses are locally owned. I did not like all of the restaurant chains in Columbus. Here there are many different locally owned restaurants, as well as other shops.

Carolina Thread Trail? At this point, it is just a concept. Charlotte does have some greenways.

Don't like NASCAR? That is fine, you will be in good company. Many here do not care one bit about it.

As far as the Buckeye camaraderie, there is the Charlotte Buckeyes. In the fall they gather to watch all of the games usually at Strike City. They also watch the basketball games there.

There is no smoking allowed in any public facility in North Carolina so unless you go outside on the patios, the bars and restaurants here are smoke-free. This is a recent law.

Obviously the weather is much better here than Columbus. The warm season here is extended by 4-6 weeks on each side. Snow is infrequent. When it does snow here, even if it is a dusting, be prepared for an entire shutdown of the city.

Spend a good week here when you visit to get a feel for the place.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atczeke View Post
I moved to Charlotte from Columbus a few years ago and am familiar with everything you said you like up there.

Charlotte has many different neighborhoods. There are none quite like the ones around Columbus, but that is because the area is much newer and was settled by different immigrants. The comparison can't be done. There are similar areas. Dilworth, Elizabeth, Wilmore, and Plaza-Midwood I would say are similar.

The North Carolina zoo is in Asheboro, which is about 1 1/2 hours east of Charlotte. There is a recent organization that is trying to establish a zoo in Charlotte.

Coastalgirl above is incorrect about the local brewery. We do have one here - Olde Mecklenberg Brewery (http://http://www.oldemeckbrew.com/ - broken link) is located off of Old Pineville Rd. They have a tap room where you can taste their beers and socialize. I will say that it isn't in the best location (i.e. walkable), which it needs to be.

One thing that is different from Columbus is that within the city, most businesses are locally owned. I did not like all of the restaurant chains in Columbus. Here there are many different locally owned restaurants, as well as other shops.

Carolina Thread Trail? At this point, it is just a concept. Charlotte does have some greenways.

Don't like NASCAR? That is fine, you will be in good company. Many here do not care one bit about it.

As far as the Buckeye camaraderie, there is the Charlotte Buckeyes. In the fall they gather to watch all of the games usually at Strike City. They also watch the basketball games there.

There is no smoking allowed in any public facility in North Carolina so unless you go outside on the patios, the bars and restaurants here are smoke-free. This is a recent law.

Obviously the weather is much better here than Columbus. The warm season here is extended by 4-6 weeks on each side. Snow is infrequent. When it does snow here, even if it is a dusting, be prepared for an entire shutdown of the city.

Good overview

Personally, I've never known anyone in Charlotte from Ohio who wasn't very happy here and all proclaim they'd "never go back".

Since our OP has lived a variety of places and managed to find a lot to like in each place, I feel pretty confident he'd find things to like about living in Charlotte too

Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,113,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atczeke View Post

Ah - you're right, I just heard about our first and only local brewery. I guess compared to the dozens in Cbus, one is close enough to none. I think the Meck Brewery had a tasting in my neighborhood this past week, but I missed it. Do you like it?

There are a ton of chain restaurants in Cbus (here too - good lord), that's true, but there are hundreds of locally owned places as well. Eating out seems to be more of a pastime there than it is here though, so I think it can sustain many more restaurants than Charlotte. I don't know about the shops as I'm not a shopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte