Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:00 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,941,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Good luck in your endeavor. While you have to be realistic and should indeed do research, don't allow the negativity of others to put a damper on your plans.
It's not negativity, just reality. Listen, this is my third business venture (Sold the previous two) I'm all about it. Charlotte is not friendly about food trucks and he/she needs to know that.

I have suspicion about someone's business acumen when they say "it's coming soon" without even taking the time to contact the health department or regulatory agencies. If they did, they would quickly find out the need to "lease" a food prep and storage area (Commissary) from a brick and mortar establishment. That puts a huge burden on said venture. They do so in L.A. and yes they have trucks, but the consensus is that you need a 100 grand to do it right and lets be honest, as much as I like Charlotte - it's not L.A. Right now center city doesn't seem to want them. Period.

It was in my radar for a brief period, but ROI just wasn't there thanks to the draconian regulations they seem to have put in place. I hope, for the culture of Charlotte that changes in the future as it's trending quite well in other metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 09:56 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,518,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
It's not negativity, just reality. Listen, this is my third business venture (Sold the previous two) I'm all about it. Charlotte is not friendly about food trucks and he/she needs to know that.

I have suspicion about someone's business acumen when they say "it's coming soon" without even taking the time to contact the health department or regulatory agencies. If they did, they would quickly find out the need to "lease" a food prep and storage area (Commissary) from a brick and mortar establishment. That puts a huge burden on said venture. They do so in L.A. and yes they have trucks, but the consensus is that you need a 100 grand to do it right and lets be honest, as much as I like Charlotte - it's not L.A. Right now center city doesn't seem to want them. Period.

It was in my radar for a brief period, but ROI just wasn't there thanks to the draconian regulations they seem to have put in place. I hope, for the culture of Charlotte that changes in the future as it's trending quite well in other metros.
As I said, it is important to be realistic. I am just trying to give some words of encouragement.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,213,450 times
So are food trucks not allowed in Uptown Charlotte? Or is it just difficult? In the Triangle you need a truck needs to be asscoaited with a commercial kitchen or "commissary" as well, and that isn't stopping the trucks. I don't get the impression it is costing them $100K. Most of the articles interviewing the local food truck guys make it clear the biggest costs is getting the truck (ranging between $10K-$30K).

They need a business lic. and Health Inspection. Raleigh has some added permits that make it difficult for them to operate downtown. But other nearby town don't.

What are the requirements in Charlotte? What's keeping them out of Uptown? (If that is in fact the case)

Just curious - Thanks!

Old 04-08-2011, 11:01 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,274,549 times
There is a Taco, Burrito, and Snow Cone food truck in Huntersville. These are not a particularly new concept. My 2nd cousin used to have one in the late 70s called the "Happy Gizzard".

Old 04-08-2011, 11:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,312,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
So are food trucks not allowed in Uptown Charlotte? Or is it just difficult? In the Triangle you need a truck needs to be asscoaited with a commercial kitchen or "commissary" as well, and that isn't stopping the trucks. I don't get the impression it is costing them $100K. Most of the articles interviewing the local food truck guys make it clear the biggest costs is getting the truck (ranging between $10K-$30K).

They need a business lic. and Health Inspection. Raleigh has some added permits that make it difficult for them to operate downtown. But other nearby town don't.

What are the requirements in Charlotte? What's keeping them out of Uptown? (If that is in fact the case)

Just curious - Thanks!
I would imagine its parking & aesthetics and why they prefer sidewalk carts

Old 04-08-2011, 11:41 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,586,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Thanks for all the info. I am not part of the purchasing of the truck or any other than going to be the head chef. I am being brought in to secure a commercial kitchen and to come up with a menu that works on a truck. So far this is all I know as of this point. I am sure the person I am working with has done research, but I will make sure before I get in too deep. I am not investing any money I would simply be an employee, 1 of the 3 that would be involved with the truck.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Just curious - Thanks!
Just to be clear, I was saying to *do it right* in L.A. what I was told over and over again is to go in eyes wide with a hundred grand, and don't hope to get rich anytime quick. Are there Taco El Cheapo trucks there? Sure. A good truck -and I mean a rolling kitchen, not an old UPS truck making food can easily set you back 100K alone!

Something like this:

Some of the comissary requirements are different from city to city and county to county as well. For instance, some will not let you do food prep on the truck, or other will require a power station for your truck to be plugged in all night. Some don't care about anything. LOL

From what I saw the Charlotte laws on commissary were pretty hard. I was told the brick and mortar places really put pressure the the local counsel. How true that is I don't know. I've also heard (And think is more likely) they just didn't want dirty taco trucks uptown without the foresight of what a 5 star proper food truck can be.

Here is recent article on the subject that pretty much explains it all.

City food truck rules still leave a bad taste | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/04/04/2194937/city-food-truck-rules-still-leave.html - broken link)

"Oh gee we didn't want to put people out of business...pinky swear". Gotta love government.

But they got what they wanted the "dirty mexicans" are all but gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I would imagine its parking & aesthetics and why they prefer sidewalk carts
That was my impression along with the brick and mortars freaking out.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Thanks for all the info. I am not part of the purchasing of the truck or any other than going to be the head chef. I am being brought in to secure a commercial kitchen and to come up with a menu that works on a truck. So far this is all I know as of this point. I am sure the person I am working with has done research, but I will make sure before I get in too deep. I am not investing any money I would simply be an employee, 1 of the 3 that would be involved with the truck.
Well if they get it out there...that's awesome. Good for you, give it all you got!

Old 04-08-2011, 12:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,213,450 times
^^ JViello - Thanks for the info. That is very interesting. BTW, here are some photos I have taken of Triangle Area Food Trucks. As you can see they range from typical food truck vehicles, to pull trailers, to Airstream trailers.

Again, thanks for the info about the issues with Charlotte and the Food truck scene. I'm going to a Public hearing on the issue later this month (to listen) and I was just curious how Charlotte is dealing with this. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
^^ JViello - Thanks for the info. That is very interesting. BTW, here are some photos I have taken of Triangle Area Food Trucks. As you can see they range from typical food truck vehicles, to pull trailers, to Airstream trailers.

Again, thanks for the info about the issues with Charlotte and the Food truck scene.
NP, that's awesome...glad to see it taking hold in the Triangle. I love the Airstream.

I actually don't live in Charlotte any longer, but am considering a final move back there, or a few other locations. So of course I've been doing my due dilligence. My family has been in the food service business for a long time, I've been in the background and told I've the most talent of them but in denial for too long. lol A gourmet food truck is one of the business plans I have been considering as my business here is selling and I'll be either doing the same there wherever I go or something like that.

Something along the lines of a rolling Paninoteca. Shhhh, don't tell anyone. The real deal, not turkey and american and mayo. Perhaps a nice roasted porcini mushroom with arugula, taleggio and truffle spread or a finocchiona with tomato fresca, chili flakes, olive spread and fontina between some Tuscan rustic bread. God I'm getting hungry now. LOL

It's too bad the Triangle and Charlotte couldn't combine. It'd be one heck of a city. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte