U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 AM

1,670 posts, read 5,809,766 times

Advertisements

This is great news for our economy. $44.3 Million, a 19% increase, over 2010 results. Yeah!!!

CIAA nets big gains in Charlotte | Charlotte Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 AM

6,272 posts, read 10,031,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
This is great news for our economy. $44.3 Million, a 19% increase, over 2010 results. Yeah!!!

CIAA nets big gains in Charlotte | Charlotte Business Journal
Here is a quote from the link above.
Quote:
The tournament games, along with parties, fans festivals and other events tied to the conference, brought 190,000 fans to uptown this year, according to the CIAA.
IMO, this is GREAT news for the city and the CIAA. It has been said that the CIAA has become Charlotte's biggest annual event (think a classier version of Atlanta's Freaknik).

Quote:
Freaknik was an annual spring break meeting in Atlanta, Georgia, primarily of students from historically black colleges and universities.[1] Begun in 1982 as a small picnic near the Atlanta University Center, it was initially sponsored by the DC Metro Club [1] and was typically held during the third weekend in April to coincide with the schools of the Atlanta University Center's Reading Day. The event increased in size and popularity in the 1990s with dancing, drinking, parties, a basketball tournament, rap sessions, a film festival and a job fair.[2]In its heyday, the fest attracted upwards of 250,000 revelers to the city.
Freaknik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At 190,000 fans, the CIAA is only 60,000 short of Freaknik's best days (keep in mind that Atlanta in the 90s was a much larger city than present day Charlotte). With that said, I would not be so quick to call the CIAA Charlotte's biggest event yet. That title is firmly held by Charlotte's Speed Street uptown.
Quote:
Located in the heart of Charlotte and a kick off for the Coca-Cola 600 weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Food Lion Speed Street delivers an unprecedented experience to an estimated 400,000 fans by means of live entertainment
600 FESTIVAL - Food Lion Speed Street

Still though, I am VERY proud of what Charlotte has done with the CIAA. This event was kinda small back when it was held in Winston, then in Raleigh. Charlotte has really made this event into a destination for party goers of ALL races (mostly black still, but all races are uptown enjoying this event from what I've seen). I hope the CIAA is here to stay for a long time!!!

Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 AM

1,670 posts, read 5,809,766 times
Anything that brings in revenue to our city, I'm all for it! Let's push for better numbers in 2012.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:18 PM

3,461 posts, read 3,153,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Still though, I am VERY proud of what Charlotte has done with the CIAA. This event was kinda small back when it was held in Winston, then in Raleigh. Charlotte has really made this event into a destination for party goers of ALL races (mostly black still, but all races are uptown enjoying this event from what I've seen). I hope the CIAA is here to stay for a long time!!!
The CIAA's last year in Raleigh/Durham attracting over 110,000 (2006 and growing)....definitely larger in Charlotte, and would imagine, if the event was still in Raleigh, it would be getting close to 150,000+. Been going to CIAA for years and the event was large in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte