U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,086 times

Advertisements

Would you be interested in getting Internet service from a local, community-based provider? If so, why? What would you expect in terms of cost and download speed, etc? If not, why not?

This is something my business would like to offer in one or more Charlotte-area locations, but there needs to be a certain critical mass before it becomes feasible. The idea is simply to have one fast Internet connection (say, 100Mbps metro-e or fiber) and share it among multiple users in the area. The provider / administrator of the connection manages the connection and the infrastructure required to share it, makes sure that all users have fair access to the bandwidth they sign up for, and possibly offers value-added services such as web caching and fast network-based backups.

Where I live (N. Charlotte, close to Huntersville) my only current options are TWC and Clear. Clear's maximum bandwidth isn't very high (and actual bandwidth during peak hours seems to be much lower), and TWC is a pain to work with, has some reliability problems, and wants to charge a lot for their higher-bandwidth options.

If you're in a similar situation (or find this idea interesting for other reasons) reply and let me know!

JN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte