U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 PM

4 posts, read 5,502 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Charlotte and we are thinking about bidding on a house that feeds into Beverly woods and Carmel middle. I don't know anyone there and have no way to really find out about these schools and am getting desperate to find some parents to talk to with kids at these schools- or even parents from the area that can tell me what people are saying about these schools. Please help! I feel like Im shooting in the dark here and don't want to do that with my childrens education.

My 4 year old son has mild ADD and I have two younger children and I am nervous about moving there unless I know more about these schools. I hear there are budget problems? Are the student ratios really high? Is it one teacher or do they have assistants? What is the quality of education? How do they compare with other area schools? Anyone with kids there that would be willing to have a conversation to me would be a lifesaver. I have a network of a million moms here in Chicago and know the ins and outs of all the schools but I feel lost as to how to find out what the real deal is with these schools. We met with Charlotte Country day and liked it but would like to go the public route if possible. If its too much to type PM me and Ill call.

Thanks in advance for taking time out to give me your input!!

P.S. Before you direct me to the schools website or great schools or other similar sites, I have been there. That doesnt really tell you what the school is really like- not like parents can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,211,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minshopping View Post
I am moving to Charlotte and we are thinking about bidding on a house that feeds into Beverly woods and Carmel middle. I don't know anyone there and have no way to really find out about these schools and am getting desperate to find some parents to talk to with kids at these schools- or even parents from the area that can tell me what people are saying about these schools. Please help! I feel like Im shooting in the dark here and don't want to do that with my childrens education.

My 4 year old son has mild ADD and I have two younger children and I am nervous about moving there unless I know more about these schools. I hear there are budget problems? Are the student ratios really high? Is it one teacher or do they have assistants? What is the quality of education? How do they compare with other area schools? Anyone with kids there that would be willing to have a conversation to me would be a lifesaver. I have a network of a million moms here in Chicago and know the ins and outs of all the schools but I feel lost as to how to find out what the real deal is with these schools. We met with Charlotte Country day and liked it but would like to go the public route if possible. If its too much to type PM me and Ill call.

Thanks in advance for taking time out to give me your input!!

P.S. Before you direct me to the schools website or great schools or other similar sites, I have been there. That doesnt really tell you what the school is really like- not like parents can.
Moving to a new area you no little about can be so daunting! I don't envy you.

I can tell you this, Beverly Woods is a very desirable neighborhood in a very nice area of Charlotte

I have never heard anything bad about the elementary school and it gets pretty high test scores. Carmel Middle is also a nice school in a great location. People I know who had their kids there in the past really liked it.

Middle schools in Charlotte are kind of the "weak link" in the system if you ask me though. There are only a few truly stellar ones with really high test scores. Carmel Middle is a good solid school, just not one of the top ones. However, there is so much more to a school than its scores

I would strongly encourage you to visit both schools, meet the principals and form you own opinions based on your gut reactions to what you find.

There has been an ongoing budget crisis in CMS for at least 2 years, with many teacher layoffs, because during the recession the state has continued to divert money away from schools. As I'm sure you know, this is happening all over the country. I'm sure class sizes are just one thing being affected.

Since your child is still so young I would suggest you start with public schools when you move (wherever you buy) and just be prepared to move to private school by the time he is middle school age IF things don't improve in the budget wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or