U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 02:17 PM

35 posts, read 132,599 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Here is another neighborhood question, if you don't mind.
I'm looking for homes to rent in Charlotte, and I found a nice place available in East Forest. Between A.J. Hwy and Monroe, north of Village Lake Dr.

And another place about a mile further north, in Idlewild South.

Any comments on this general area? I'm single. No kids or schools to worry about. I'm a runner... usually at night. So something relatively safe.

I'm in Arizona at the moment, so can't really run out and look just yet.

I couldn't find any threads that mentioned this area in particular.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 03:54 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunGoodGuy View Post
I'm looking for homes to rent in Charlotte, and I found a nice place available in East Forest. Between A.J. Hwy and Monroe, north of Village Lake Dr.

Any comments on this general area? I'm single. No kids or schools to worry about. I'm a runner... usually at night. So something relatively safe.

For someone who wants to run at night I'd be leery of recommending the Idlewild area. Village Lakes isn't exactly terrible, just not real desirable.

What is your price range, maybe we can make better suggestions?

Old 04-08-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
For someone who wants to run at night I'd be leery of recommending the Idlewild area. Village Lakes isn't exactly terrible, just not real desirable.

What is your price range, maybe we can make better suggestions?

I'm looking for a house with a garage and maybe an old Southern front porch (no town house or condo) for $900-$1200/mo.
My description probably would limit me to something older, maybe refurbished, which is fine. Old but well-kept. And I'm not at all a fan of HOA's. I'm thinkin.... Mayberry

Last edited by WunGoodGuy; 04-08-2011 at 04:43 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:

I'm looking for a house with a garage and maybe an old Southern front porch (no town house or condo) for $900-$1200/mo.
My description probably would limit me to something older, maybe refurbished, which is fine. Old but well-kept. And I'm not at all a fan of HOA's. I'm thinkin.... Mayberry

It can be hard to get a house with a garage in a more desirable area for under $1000, so plan to spend $1200 for what you are looking for.

And HOA's are a fact of life in all the better neighborhoods in Charlotte. You can usually tell the ones without an HOA by the way they look (less desirable). But never fear, as you will just be renting you won't have many dealings with the HOA, your landlord will!

Would you consider a duplex? Some of the older neighborhoods closer to uptown have duplexes that might interest you.

What is your job location?

Old 04-08-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Forgot to say, East Forest is a pretty quiet neighborhood tucked off of Monroe Rd. I wouldn't suggest doing that late night running down Monroe (there are some problem apts kind of across the street from the fire station), but you could quickly get into a better area by running down Rama Rd - it just gets better and better the further you go

Old 04-08-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It can be hard to get a house with a garage in a more desirable area for under $1000, so plan to spend $1200 for what you are looking for.

And HOA's are a fact of life in all the better neighborhoods in Charlotte. You can usually tell the ones without an HOA by the way they look (less desirable). But never fear, as you will just be renting you won't have many dealings with the HOA, your landlord will!

Would you consider a duplex? Some of the older neighborhoods closer to uptown have duplexes that might interest you.

What is your job location?
HOA's...mmmmyeahhhh.... I'd rather put up with less desirable looking, than put up with mandates of whether I can park a boat in the driveway, or directives on what shape my garbage cans must be. Philisophical differences. But, I digress...

I've moved about the country quite a bit, and there are usually much older neighborhoods somewhere, that have not gone the way of the crack pipe. The trick is finding them. I don't mind a long commute. 20-25 miles to the industrial areas would be okay.

As far as where the job is... don't have the job yet. Won't be moving until I have landed the job, but when I do, I need to move quickly. That's why I'm trying to get a jump on understanding the neighborhoods.

I'm a multi-disciplined Mechanical Design Engineer. I design and build machines and prototypes of any kind, for any industry. The industry doesn't even have to be local. Just the engineering house does. Or if there are companies that fabricate absolutely anything... I have a good chance with them too. I have a few leads, but nothing nailed down yet.

Duplex? Well, I'd really prefer a single family dwelling. I'm thinking I may have to reach out to that 25 mile radius. Even something thats between suburban and rural would be fine.

Would you have any idea the approximate diameter of metro Charlotte? What I mean is... the point at which suburban ends, and rural begins? That dividing line may provide me with the non-HOA, safe, garage and porch scenario that I'm picturing.

Thanx for your help, by the way. I see you're very prolific on this forum. I can't wait to get this all wrapped up and get my trout gear out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte