Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 11:03 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times

Advertisements

Recently, I've been watching a few shows on HGTV where homeowners remodel and convert a part of their own into an apartment, then get a tenant and have that rental income pay for some or all of their mortgage. To me, at a high level, it seems like an interesting concept, but I have this feeling that there's much more to it than these shows let on. Assuming, of course, that you owned a home that had the appropriate space available and that it was legal to do, what do you guys think? Could this actually work out, or would this be a sure path to financial ruin and too many headaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 11:15 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
I'm not sure that it is legal here. I do know that in many places, this was done (Chicago & London come to mind) and done successfully. One of my friends in London lives in such a flat...it's tiny but it is complete for her needs and is cheap enough for her to survive on temp wages.

However, there is the tenant issue which is always iffy. IF you get a good tenant...well, it's great. IF you get a bad tenant, well, then, it is horrid.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:45 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
There are many people who do this sucessfully in older neighborhoods and in towns like Davidson. I also know of at least one of these in an older area of Monroe. Several garage apartments, etc., still exist in older homes in Dilworth, Elizabeth and Plaza Midwood. It used to be a lot more common than it is now and makes a lot of sense for young singles and couples couples and older people looking to downsizes ("granny flats" they used to be called) Unfortunately, in most areas of Charlotte and surrounding towns, outdated zoning codes and HOA codes require single-family only developments. You would need to check with the city planning departments and your HOA. Do your homework, too, on increased tax liabilities, etc., and on your potential tenants. But I've known several situations which this works in.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:35 PM

OK, you alluded to something I was thinking. I was wondering if such a concept was really more practical in a large city where, first of all, you'd find homes with full basements that would allow for such a conversion, and where such an arrangement would be a better alternative than a standard apartment.

As a renter, I'm thinking, why would I pay a premium price to live in what is essentially someone's basement, and not have all of the amenities that a comparable apartment would have for the same money? As I'm watching these shows, I'm trying to imagine who their tenants would be, as these are people willing forking over 2-3K a month for rent.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
OK, you alluded to something I was thinking. I was wondering if such a concept was really more practical in a large city where, first of all, you'd find homes with full basements that would allow for such a conversion, and where such an arrangement would be a better alternative than a standard apartment.

As a renter, I'm thinking, why would I pay a premium price to live in what is essentially someone's basement, and not have all of the amenities that a comparable apartment would have for the same money? As I'm watching these shows, I'm trying to imagine who their tenants would be, as these are people willing forking over 2-3K a month for rent.
The ones I see in Dilworth, etc., rent for 600 or so, less than comparable corporate apartments.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Also, I wouldn't trust many of those shows on Home and Garden network or whatever it is. They prey on the "house lust" of many Americans. It's all very irrational.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:37 PM

They seem a little far-fetched to me, but I was curious if anyone had done this.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:20 PM

385 posts, read 890,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Recently, I've been watching a few shows on HGTV where homeowners remodel and convert a part of their own into an apartment, then get a tenant and have that rental income pay for some or all of their mortgage.
That show takes place in Toronto. A city with super high rents and Canadian laws.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:49 PM

I was wondering if the figures were stated in Canadian dollars. A couple spent $45,000 to renovate half of a two-family home, then the realtor came in and told them that they could expect rental income of $4500 - $5500. Seemed highly unlikely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte