U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2011, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
7,233 posts, read 8,241,700 times
Reputation: 4910

Advertisements

For those of you who are like me and love hockey, the Checkers will be competing in the Calder Cup playoffs this year. Tickets on sale now.

gocheckers.com: Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,579,855 times
Reputation: 39866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
For those of you who are like me and love hockey, the Checkers will be competing in the Calder Cup playoffs this year. Tickets on sale now.

gocheckers.com: Home
Thanks for posting the info A night at a Checkers game can be so much more affordable than other sports events, and very entertaining!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Ballantyne
214 posts, read 344,747 times
Reputation: 162
I've actually never been to a Checkers game. How are they? Where do they even play? TW Arena?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Shakedown Street
1,452 posts, read 2,576,763 times
Reputation: 1185
It is a great night out. They made the playoffs, so I'd say they are pretty good. They play at TW Arena.
Every time I go there are 3-4 fights on the ice, and the crowd is pretty well behaved. There are a lot of $5 parking lots nearby, so don't pay $10!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Ballantyne
214 posts, read 344,747 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
It is a great night out. They made the playoffs, so I'd say they are pretty good. They play at TW Arena.
Every time I go there are 3-4 fights on the ice, and the crowd is pretty well behaved. There are a lot of $5 parking lots nearby, so don't pay $10!

All i needed to know. I will be a season ticket holder next season.

Sounds fun though. I'll have to take my wife out to a game. She seems to enjoy the Knights games so why not the Checkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Planet Earth
7,233 posts, read 8,241,700 times
Reputation: 4910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp1983 View Post
I've actually never been to a Checkers game. How are they? Where do they even play? TW Arena?
Yes they play at the "Cable Box"

If you like fast-paced sports then you'll love Hockey. It's their first year in the AHL, which is one step below the NHL, so think of it as Triple A Hockey, guys you see in Checker uniforms you'll see in the NHL in about a year or two. It's really a great night out and when 10,000 people or more come it kind of feels like an NHL game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Concord, NC
1,210 posts, read 1,941,508 times
Reputation: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
It is a great night out. They made the playoffs, so I'd say they are pretty good. They play at TW Arena.
Every time I go there are 3-4 fights on the ice, and the crowd is pretty well behaved. There are a lot of $5 parking lots nearby, so don't pay $10!
I was at the game this past Saturday and I didn't see any fights!

Fastest fight i've seen was Ducks vs Kings in Anaheim. It only took 19 seconds to get to the first fight. Tons of fights that night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Mauldin
412 posts, read 813,621 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Yes they play at the "Cable Box"

If you like fast-paced sports then you'll love Hockey. It's their first year in the AHL, which is one step below the NHL, so think of it as Triple A Hockey, guys you see in Checker uniforms you'll see in the NHL in about a year or two. It's really a great night out and when 10,000 people or more come it kind of feels like an NHL game.
Quite a few of the guys in Checkers uniforms spent a fair amount of time on the Canes roster THIS year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
7,233 posts, read 8,241,700 times
Reputation: 4910
I am aware of that. I was just making a point that the AHL is like Triple-A Baseball and is the top league for prospects and call-ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 PM
 
Location: The Queen City
174 posts, read 354,840 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I was at the game this past Saturday and I didn't see any fights!

Fastest fight i've seen was Ducks vs Kings in Anaheim. It only took 19 seconds to get to the first fight. Tons of fights that night.
They had clinched the night before. Getting your head bashed in when it doesn't count for anything usually is not a great option.

A couple of weeks ago against Connecticut it was about 19 seconds. Several that night as well. Once you learn to appreciate the game though, the games are almost better without the fights. At least from my perspective they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top