Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:53 AM

18 posts, read 43,846 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Charlotte in a few weeks. We spent the last week touring and home hunting and have decided that Union County is where we want to be. After looking at new homes and resales, I fell in love with the floorplans offered at Briarcrest by Legendary home builders. I understand this was a McCarr community that has since been taken over by Legendary. Can anyone offer advice on...

1) Briarcrest community in general - anyone happy / unhappy?

2) Legendary builders - I've never heard of them before and can't find much on the web - anyone used them before?

3) Commuting distance to the airport - I need a commute time less than 40 mins and can move my hours so that I am not traveling in rush hour. This seems doable, but if you have any input that would be great.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 09:06 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,967,565 times
Briarcrest for an airport commute at off hours will be 40mins each way pretty easily... East of 77 on 485 and trying to get North/South within Union county that will be your main issue and where you would lose the most time.

Unfortunately this isn't one of the new construction options I've looked into closely - I just see the Briarcrest signs. What did you love about the floorplan, what are you looking for, size, budget? Maybe the regulars here can help you find that closer to the airport.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:47 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,971,198 times
Bare minimum to the airport would be 40 minutes.

Briarcrest is a great community. I have friends in there and they seem to like it a lot. I love the walking trails and dog park is cool. The pool is huge(to my standards).

The only concern was the lack of building on the North side, but it looks like they started building 4-6 new homes on the empty lots. I would have no problem having a home built there. However, did you consider resales? I know one foreclosed home in Briarcrest Enclave sold recently for $220-ish. About 5 beds/4baths and 4000 sq.ft..

Have you checked the community behind Briarcrest Enclave on Pleasant Grove Road? I believe it's a True Homes builder community. No amenities(low HOA fee too) and homes are on septic tanks, but I love the design and paint schemes of the homes. They also kept most of the mature trees and set the homes way back on the properties. Love the feel in there. I would have no problem buying in there either, septic tank and all.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:56 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,248 times
Legendary Communites use to be McCar homes, just a different name. I don't know about their newly built homes but I use to own a McCar home in Annandale. After some tweaking that was normal construction blubbers, we did not have a problem with the house. They also have great floor plans. Not sure who the agent is at Briarcrest but I saw that the agent we bought from is still with legendary and she was great to work with.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 PM

18 posts, read 43,846 times
Are you sure Legendary is McCarr but with a different name?? I've read the threads here about McCarr and that would be very concerning to me.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:11 AM

743 posts, read 2,233,248 times
99.9% sure, even the same agent that sold us our house is now selling in the same neighborhood for Legendary. Some of the floor plans are identical to McCar and I searched on the internet and the CEO of Legendary is the son of the CEO for McCar...Coincidental???

Old 08-15-2011, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 9,077 times
Actually, Legendary Homes is Not "McCar Homes". .. If you want to see the same product/floor plans, same owner - check out KM Homes - based out of atlanta, owner Keith McSwain... I bet if you go to www.kmhomes.com you could find the very same floor plan that you had in annandale. I have looked at the Legendary Homes Product and they are nothing like the mccar product. You should check out the legendary product just to compare to the old mccar product. Completely different.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 9,077 times
And I mean that in a good way.... Legendary has beautiful products.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:10 PM

236 posts, read 692,223 times
Old thread, but the investor who owned McCar's lot positions in Atlanta, Charlotte and Greenville started a building company to sell out the rest of the neighborhoods after McCar dissolved and has now arisen as KM Homes, in Atlanta only.

Legendary has a great management team and is well qualified to build these homes.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 7,058 times
Briarcrest has nice families that call this community home. However, for those that claim Legendary and McCar are not one in the same?

MMB Development is the developer. They held an investment interest in McCar. Some of the invidviduals from Legendary did as well, and the previous construction manager and sales manager (who is also the corporate agent) are the same...

The problem with this community is that the developer allowed McCar to forgo paying its annual assessments for five years to cover the budget shortfall of the HOA. At one point one homeowner determined the budget was $210,000 in the red, and the debts transfered to the HOA. If a homeowner did not pay their HOA dues they would have been foreclosed on. McCar did not file bankruptcy, but simply allowed assets to "disappear" and the company closed without any legal or credit hassles (other than not paying some contractors). Some of the lots were resold (conveniently) and Legendary became a "new" company. For those that claim these companies are not the same...then why has it been said they all originated from the same office building in Georgia? coincedence?

The contractors and framers are bottom bids...many from Texas...but you get a lot of square footage for the money, so I guess thats a plus? if your roof doesnt leak, or the builder doesnt disappear/reorganize/rename, and you are stuck with a house without a warranty...buyer beware, but there are plenty of other local communites with better and more transparent companies behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte