Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times

Advertisements

Just curious what other folks have done regarding lawn services. When we first got here, the prior owners had a terrific crab grass lawn and did not take care of any of the landscaping.

We started up with professional services and now everything looks great. We have always done our own work, but were told down here, Scotts does not work.

So after getting settled, I see everyone uses Scotts down here. So we are going to start doing it ourselfs since we have things were we want it and also to save money.

Anyone else with similiar experience??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 AM

416 posts, read 927,611 times
I put down Scotts crabgrass preventer twice (once in early spring and once in late spring). I still get some crabgrass. I don't have a very big yard, so I pull it out from the roots by hand as soon as I see it to try and keep it from spreading.

I fertilize several times a year. Biggest difference between my yard and other yards in the neighborhood that don't do as well is probably our irrigation system. The ability to water the yard 2-3 times a week very early in the morning makes a big difference. Lime pellets also make a huge difference in greening up the yard if your pH balance is off.

I've been meaning to add up the total costs of everything for doing it myself and comparing to a professional service. Buying fertilizer, lime, crabgrass certainly isn't cheap.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 AM

748 posts, read 1,770,726 times
Tru-Green quoted us $290 for the whole year, 8 or 9 treatments. Sounded good to me.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:51 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Just curious what other folks have done regarding lawn services. When we first got here, the prior owners had a terrific crab grass lawn and did not take care of any of the landscaping.

We started up with professional services and now everything looks great. We have always done our own work, but were told down here, Scotts does not work.

So after getting settled, I see everyone uses Scotts down here. So we are going to start doing it ourselfs since we have things were we want it and also to save money.

Anyone else with similiar experience??
I've got a fairly large lot (70' x 248'). By the best estimates of the 2 most reputable neighbors, it was neglected for a good 10 years.

My father was in the Ag. chem. industry & I grew up with lawn care & agricultural chemicals as the conversation at the kitchen table. I was looking to convert the yard to short fescue & rye. Last fall I brought back some bags of lawn patch. The Scotts was red fescue & rye & the Pennington was chewing fescue & rye. Both have a bit of blue grass mixed in, but I expect nothing from that. I'm saving the bags & know where I put which. I'll post the results at the end of the summer in a grass seed thread. So far, my neighbors are extremely impressed. My experience, so far, based on the last 2 summers, is that some short fescue & some rye will not make it, but whatever makes it will do extremely well next year.

ETA: Someone posted this website on the NJ board. This is the North Carolina page. It might be helpful. http://www.outsidepride.com/resource...hcarolina.html

Last edited by southbound_295; 04-11-2011 at 08:33 AM..

Old 04-11-2011, 01:10 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
Tru-Green quoted us $290 for the whole year, 8 or 9 treatments. Sounded good to me.

Just an FYI, Tru-Green's prices are extremely negotiable...

Old 04-11-2011, 08:33 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
What kind of treatment from Tru-Green do you actually get for that price?

Old 04-12-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
I put down Scotts crabgrass preventer twice (once in early spring and once in late spring). I still get some crabgrass. I don't have a very big yard, so I pull it out from the roots by hand as soon as I see it to try and keep it from spreading.

I fertilize several times a year. Biggest difference between my yard and other yards in the neighborhood that don't do as well is probably our irrigation system. The ability to water the yard 2-3 times a week very early in the morning makes a big difference. Lime pellets also make a huge difference in greening up the yard if your pH balance is off.

I've been meaning to add up the total costs of everything for doing it myself and comparing to a professional service. Buying fertilizer, lime, crabgrass certainly isn't cheap.

I know the products are not cheap especially Scotts. Using a professional service can be form $58 to $63 depending on the size of your property. When is it best to apply the lime?

Old 04-12-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post

I used both Tru Green and King Green. There are about seven applications a year. They spray the lawn, fertilize and put down crab grass preventer, also for bugs. You can also get a shrub/tree service that is extra. They use a liquid fertilizer, and no lie, the grass looks great.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've got a fairly large lot (70' x 248'). By the best estimates of the 2 most reputable neighbors, it was neglected for a good 10 years.

My father was in the Ag. chem. industry & I grew up with lawn care & agricultural chemicals as the conversation at the kitchen table. I was looking to convert the yard to short fescue & rye. Last fall I brought back some bags of lawn patch. The Scotts was red fescue & rye & the Pennington was chewing fescue & rye. Both have a bit of blue grass mixed in, but I expect nothing from that. I'm saving the bags & know where I put which. I'll post the results at the end of the summer in a grass seed thread. So far, my neighbors are extremely impressed. My experience, so far, based on the last 2 summers, is that some short fescue & some rye will not make it, but whatever makes it will do extremely well next year.

ETA: Someone posted this website on the NJ board. This is the North Carolina page. It might be helpful. North Carolina Grass Seed
Great website!! I have a fescue lawn and it is a deep green. The professionals tell me the key is water and not to cut it short during the summer months. Do you seed besides the fall? I know you aerate and seed in the fall, but some tell me you can seed also now when it is not too hot. I just tried the Scotts EZ seed for some bare spots, so I will let you know how it works.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:04 AM

748 posts, read 1,770,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Pre-emergent, then several weed killers and fertilizers, and lime.
Doesn't include aeration or seeding in the Fall.

I ended up getting 30% off the price they started at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte