Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:18 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampart2 View Post
Maybe you can help me understand why. You are going to make the stop anyways right? So, what difference does it make? You aren't going to wait for a second officer before you turn on your lights...

What does the difference in the crime have to do with whether or not you turn on your lights first? Are you expecting the incident to play out differently if you check the tags before you turn on the lights rather then after? Are you just trying to be prepared for whether or not he's going to try to run? What changes? And why then does it ever happen the other way around? Sometimes the lights are turned on as the officer is pulling out.

But yet sadly enough, there was....

Perhaps you should take some college courses, get some BLET training and then apply to the academy. My bet is that wouldn't happen in a million years.
Takes one very special person to have the guts to put that badge on day after
day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 06:19 PM

103 posts, read 395,771 times
I respect law enforcement as a standard, but it isn't perfect, and anyone who implies that it is likely isn't thinking it through very well..

There are problems with the system, and any decent person is well within their rights to be frustrated with them. Especially if you've been a victim of one of those imperfections at one point or another..

I personally am not heavily effected by the incident I was a part of, but I can see where it might be a bigger problem for someone else. There are instances where innocent people are convicted and do jail time for crimes they did not commit.

BTW, I was not happy about being pulled over that night, and I did let the officer know. I wasn't disrespectful, but I did question his process and disagree with his conclusion. Maybe he didn't like being questioned and made it a point to get me for something.. I can't think of any other reason why he would have handled it the way he did...

Old 04-12-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Perhaps you should take some college courses, get some BLET training and then apply to the academy. My bet is that wouldn't happen in a million years.
Takes one very special person to have the guts to put that badge on day after
day.
Perhaps you can tell me how this post pertains to the post you quoted..

But to answer your question, I have thought about going into law enforcement before, but I make more money (a lot more) doing what I do...

And your tone suggests that I'm intending to belittle and/or demean all law enforcement. And if you'd read my posts carefully, you'd understand that I am not. I'm pointing to a flaw in the system, that hinges on the same problem we have everywhere in the world, not all people are honest, some of those dishonest people are in law enforcement. There are dishonest people in your profession as well...

Old 04-12-2011, 06:24 PM

359 posts, read 591,724 times
Quote:
Maybe you can help me understand why. You are going to make the stop anyways right? So, what difference does it make? You aren't going to wait for a second officer before you turn on your lights...

What does the difference in the crime have to do with whether or not you turn on your lights first? Are you expecting the incident to play out differently if you check the tags before you turn on the lights rather then after? Are you just trying to be prepared for whether or not he's going to try to run? What changes? And why then does it ever happen the other way around? Sometimes the lights are turned on as the officer is pulling out.
Yes I am in regards to a felony stop, which is why I run the tag. It's policy and I'm not stopping a person in a stolen car by myself. That is just stupid.

I don't see why an officer immediately has to turn on their lights/siren when they see a violation. I don't think they need to follow you around for two miles and then do it, but about 30 seconds to run a tag is a safety precaution. I don't know who you are. You could have a gun and want to kill yourself but take me out first.

There are too many things that could possibly happen.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:26 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I can't say if its actually the law or not, but I was taught the 3 second rule when I learned to drive in Missouri. Its really just to give you enough time to look both ways (left and right, not just left) to make sure the road is clear.

If I come up to a stop sign, and know that there is a cop watching me. I always make sure to make a good long stop. I don't want there to be any doubt about making a full and complete stop.
Im no mind reader, so I cant be 100% sure, but it appears you're referring to the OP saying he looked left before proceeding. If that is in fact the case, it may pay to do a little research before casting stones. You see, the intersection to which the OP refers is a T intersection, and (s)he was on the leg side, thus making looking right completely irrelevant. You might try Google Street, to get a view of the intersection.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I respect law enforcement as a standard, but it isn't perfect, and anyone who implies that it is likely isn't thinking it through very well..

There are problems with the system, and any decent person is well within their rights to be frustrated with them. Especially if you've been a victim of one of those imperfections at one point or another..

I personally am not heavily effected by the incident I was a part of, but I can see where it might be a bigger problem for someone else. There are instances where innocent people are convicted and do jail time for crimes they did not commit.

BTW, I was not happy about being pulled over that night, and I did let the officer know. I wasn't disrespectful, but I did question his process and disagree with his conclusion. Maybe he didn't like being questioned and made it a point to get me for something.. I can't think of any other reason why he would have handled it the way he did...
You said you sped up to get through a yellow and clearly were going at a speed fast enough to squeal your tires.

That is reasonable suspicion in my book.

Please do not compare a simple traffic law violation with a crime that requires jail time. They are not even close to the same.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
Yes I am in regards to a felony stop, which is why I run the tag. It's policy and I'm not stopping a person in a stolen car by myself. That is just stupid.

I don't see why an officer immediately has to turn on their lights/siren when they see a violation. I don't think they need to follow you around for two miles and then do it, but about 30 seconds to run a tag is a safety precaution. I don't know who you are. You could have a gun and want to kill yourself but take me out first.

There are too many things that could possibly happen.
That could happen with anyone.. Could be a guy with no criminal history what so ever and being pulled over for a speeding violation...

I see what you're saying, and forgive me if I point to the fact that I've never seen any officer wait for a second officer before turning on his lights, but many times have seen an officer follow someone for a few minutes before turning the lights on. I guess I'll just have to take your word for it...

I am in no way intending this as an insult to you or your profession. I'm just saying, there is a lot of weight put on an officers testimony, and it's awful convenient that many infractions aren't caught on tape. Especially in my case..

Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you can tell me how this post pertains to the post you quoted..

But to answer your question, I have thought about going into law enforcement before, but I make more money (a lot more) doing what I do...

And your tone suggests that I'm intending to belittle and/or demean all law enforcement. And if you'd read my posts carefully, you'd understand that I am not. I'm pointing to a flaw in the system, that hinges on the same problem we have everywhere in the world, not all people are honest, some of those dishonest people are in law enforcement. There are dishonest people in your profession as well...
There are dishonest people in every profession, so what's your point? Nothing is going to be perfect. You sound like a person who is mad they were found guilty of reckless driving.

Good job on making "more money (a lot more)" doing whatever it is that you do.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
You said you sped up to get through a yellow and clearly were going at a speed fast enough to squeal your tires.

That is reasonable suspicion in my book.

Please do not compare a simple traffic law violation with a crime that requires jail time. They are not even close to the same.
Yes I did speed up to get through the light, but I never broke the law. I was well within the speed limit, there were no other drivers on the road besides the other cars in my party, of which I was the last in line. And my truck will spin a tire at times at very low rates of speed and very controlled driving because of the 'locking rear differential', which makes both rear tires spin at the same rate regardless of how much ground one tire is covering. When you turn, the outside tire covers more ground then the inside one, and if both tires are turning at the same rate that will cause the outside tire to squeal at times, and/or trow up road debris.

And in regard to a simple traffic violation compared to a crime that requires jail time. Wrong is wrong. I don't care if it's a simple traffic violation rather than jail time, if the crime wasn't committed, you shouldn't have to be inconvenienced. Whether it's with jail time, or a day in court/lawyers fees/court cost/fines... You being an officer should understand this. If an officers perspective is that its ok to inconvenience a civilian who did nothing wrong because they won't have to serve time in jail, then something is wrong.

Last edited by Rampart2; 04-12-2011 at 06:47 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Good job on making "more money (a lot more)" doing whatever it is that you do.
That wasn't intended as a slight to you or your profession either. I'm sure you know many professions pay better than law enforcement.

Was only explaining for that poster why I'm not in law enforcement though I have considered it.

And yes, I am frustrated that I was pulled over, and that I had to go to court, all so that officer could attempt to bring in another DUI. If I was drunk then I'd deserve it, but I wasn't even drinking... So it was ridiculous..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: