U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:23 AM

37 posts, read 66,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
thank you

Oh hush!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
If you're looking at apartments, you don't need a real estate agent. Other than parts near uptown, Charlotte is not a walkable city. I think if you take out East, West, and the University area from your list, you'll be fine as far as safety goes.

Thanks much doll!! I know I dont need an agent, but he offered to help (at no cost to me) so since Im not there and Im not familiar I said why not. But I guess its pointless being that I cant stop researching and looking on my own.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:34 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,232,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB55 View Post
Oh hush!!

I would like to suggest you spend a little time every day reading the local newspaper, The Charlotte Observer, online. Doing so will help you get a feel for areas of high crime, desirability and interest in general.

I know you are just in a "fact gathering stage", so I am happy to give you answers in generalities, but you need to understand that until you have an actual job location it's hard to recommend where you should live. Charlotte is a large spread out metro and your approach is a bit like throwing darts at a dart board, lol.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:43 AM

21,840 posts, read 27,090,532 times
Quote:
Unless of course I get chosen for this flight attendant position then I would want to be closer to the airport....
If this turns out to be what you're looking at for work, you might want to look at Belmont, which won't be very walkable. Also, there aren't a lot of apartments there, so you might need to look at renting a house.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:

I would like to suggest you spend a little time every day reading the local newspaper, The Charlotte Observer, online. Doing so will help you get a feel for areas of high crime, desirability and interest in general.

I know you are just in a "fact gathering stage", so I am happy to give you answers in generalities, but you need to understand that until you have an actual job location it's hard to recommend where you should live. Charlotte is a large spread out metro and your approach is a bit like throwing darts at a dart board, lol.

Thats a good idea. Opening that page now! The problem is Im so far out from my desired move date that when prospective employers reach out to me they are usually looking for an immediate hire or something sooner than August. I work at a high school and Im not willing to quit during the school year. Im just OC when it comes to gathering information. Im always over prepared. But right now my commute is 1 hour when there is no traffic I doubt Charlotte is as bad as this area so the commute isnt i my top 5 priorities for living arrangements....unless of course the flight attendant position is obtained.

I thank you all for all of your help in enabling my obsessive compulsiveness...lol. With the info given I feel I will be able to make an informed decision on where I choose to live

Old 04-12-2011, 04:10 PM

238 posts, read 614,778 times
I'm also from DC and relocating down to the Charlotte area. After a few trips, we've settled on the Steelecroft area. (Others have recommended this area to me and after visiting, seems great!)

Here's a map so you get a better idea: Harris Teeter

Old 04-12-2011, 04:12 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,232,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequeño_Bonsai View Post
I'm also from DC and relocating down to the Charlotte area. After a few trips, we've settled on the Steelecroft area. (Others have recommended this area to me and after visiting, seems great!)

Here's a map so you get a better idea: Harris Teeter
Please tell me you mean the Steel CREEK area? Steelecroft is a neighborhood, Steel Creek is the southwestern corner of Charlotte.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:45 PM

1,738 posts, read 749,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEOPLESCHAMP View Post
People charge a fee for the things you are asking..lollol....its called a real estate agent
Except for the fact that realtors can't "steer" you into any neighborhoods (particularly where crime statistics are concerned), or be honest and flat out tell you that the slum you are considering IS, in fact, a slum.

Besides--- most of the nice people on this site are here just to be helpful and offer advice on the topics that people are inquiring about. Otherwise- they just don't have to respond at all if they don't feel that they have the time, or inclination, to offer assistance.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:31 AM

103 posts, read 367,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEOPLESCHAMP View Post
People charge a fee for the things you are asking..lollol....its called a real estate agent
The questions asked by the OP are exactly what this site was intended for.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:20 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,451,529 times
Quote:
And thats where the "I hope to be" part comes in. I am currently submitting my resume any and everywhere possible. Its difficult right now because I am still a little far from my move date so of course employers that are looking to hire now wont be interested. Im not too much worried about that since there seems to be a good amount of job availability (at least right now).
Um...I would suggest that you may want to change your outlook from "not too much worried" to at least "a bit worried" or maybe "cautiously optimistic." There are not exactly a plethora of open jobs here in Charlotte that are remaining open due to a lack of applicants.

Granted - a lot of that can depend on your background, skills, field, etc. and I'm not going to give you a doom-and-gloom speech. But I will say that if you do end up moving here without yet being employed / have an offer letter in hand, you do want to ensure that you have enough $ in the bank to allow you to be able to live here for a period of time without a job.

That aside, we relocated here from the DC area about 2.5 years ago. We don't regret that choice one bit.

Quote:

but you need to understand that until you have an actual job location it's hard to recommend where you should live. Charlotte is a large spread out metro and your approach is a bit like throwing darts at a dart board, lol.
True. And while rush hour traffic here does not compare to DC, Charlotte lacks a comprehensive system like the Metro so distance from work may very well mean a need to drive.

If you do end up working for an airline...we live in Ayrsley and both of us regularly fly for work. We can be from our front door to the terminal in about 15 minutes (maybe 20 if we have to park ourselves).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or