Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:59 AM

37 posts, read 73,954 times

Advertisements

Okay I am moving (or at least hope to) to Charlotte...probably late August. I want to know like anyone else the areas that I should stay away from. I am from the DC Metro so I am very aware that all crime can happen any and everywhere...so I am not trying to start a big debate on that subject. I just want to stay away from lower income areas that seem to be the center of most criminal activities. I want to lean towards nice communities that can be walkable. I like areas where everything you need is within a very short radius from home (food, gas, groceries, bars, etc. etc.). According to Rent.com these are my neighborhood options:

Ballantyne
Dilworth
East Charlotte

Elizabeth
Midtown
Myers Park
North Charlotte (NoDa) Northeast Charlotte
Northwest Charlotte
Plaza-Midwood
South End
Southeast Charlotte Southwest Charlotte
Steele Creek
University Area
Uptown
West Charlotte

Please keep in mind that I am not even close to familiar with the area so please be as specific as possible. Rather than neighborhood names just the general area would be better. For example when telling you where not to move your family in DC I wouldn't say "Barry Farms" I would just say Southeast DC.

Also Im not scared of living in neighborhoods with uhhh...lets just say more diverse neighborhoods. In fact that is what I prefer. I just dont want to be scared coming home after dark. I dont mind caution but scared I just cant do.

Sorry if Im sounding too picky or bossy about my advice but after reading other threads that posed the same question I am still clueless b/c I cant search for apartments by looking at neighborhood names and the right side verses the left side of Independence...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 AM

569 posts, read 1,410,107 times
Where will you be working? If you want to be close to your job to cut down on commute time then this will be a big factor.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
Where will you be working? If you want to be close to your job to cut down on commute time then this will be a big factor.
And thats where the "I hope to be" part comes in. I am currently submitting my resume any and everywhere possible. Its difficult right now because I am still a little far from my move date so of course employers that are looking to hire now wont be interested. Im not too much worried about that since there seems to be a good amount of job availability (at least right now). Commute time is not a really big deal to me. Right now I drive and hour to get to work....

Old 04-12-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
Unless of course I get chosen for this flight attendant position then I would want to be closer to the airport....

Old 04-12-2011, 07:51 AM

8 posts, read 18,338 times
I would ABSOLUTELY recommend you live in South Charlotte. I live in Touchstone Village (you can look it up on Google maps) and I LOVE love love it here, it is secluded in a more woodsy area right next to the greenway (look it up if you like walking/running for recreation) but still less than 5 mins from Ballantyne, the mall, the Arboretum, and shopping centers. 15 from the airport.

Judging by what you have described I would definetly recommend for you to live in Sharon Corners..infact if you look up Old Towne Apartments, it is really close WALKING distance to South Park Mall, gas, food, groceries, and some nice restaurants. Barclay Downs is nearby and it is an even nicer area.

If you are looking for an apartment ANY Camden apartment in South Charlotte would be my top recommendation, Camden apartments are excellent and they have a great reputation, PLUS they are all located in the most convenient areas in my opinion.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdxander View Post
I would ABSOLUTELY recommend you live in South Charlotte. I live in Touchstone Village (you can look it up on Google maps) and I LOVE love love it here, it is secluded in a more woodsy area right next to the greenway (look it up if you like walking/running for recreation) but still less than 5 mins from Ballantyne, the mall, the Arboretum, and shopping centers. 15 from the airport.

Judging by what you have described I would definetly recommend for you to live in Sharon Corners..infact if you look up Old Towne Apartments, it is really close WALKING distance to South Park Mall, gas, food, groceries, and some nice restaurants. Barclay Downs is nearby and it is an even nicer area.

If you are looking for an apartment ANY Camden apartment in South Charlotte would be my top recommendation, Camden apartments are excellent and they have a great reputation, PLUS they are all located in the most convenient areas in my opinion.

This is great!!!! And specific I will definitely look into these areas.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:00 AM

120 posts, read 238,045 times
People charge a fee for the things you are asking..lollol....its called a real estate agent

Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleschamp View Post
people charge a fee for the things you are asking..lollol....its called a real estate agent

thank you

Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEOPLESCHAMP View Post
People charge a fee for the things you are asking..lollol....its called a real estate agent
LOL!! I know right! ironically I have one of those too...lol. But he's not charging. I have a serious problem with leaving things in others hands.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:20 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
If you're looking at apartments, you don't need a real estate agent. Other than parts near uptown, Charlotte is not a walkable city. I think if you take out East, West, and the University area from your list, you'll be fine as far as safety goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte