Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspop View Post
Being a landlord in NC SUCKS!!!! lol In all honesty this is the first time that I've had a crappy tenant, we have owned this place for 5 years. Our other 2 tenants were awesome.
I did a check on this women before she moved in. Credit was okay, not great, but I had crappy credit at one time in my life so I let it go. She had no evictions filed against her, no criminal recored, no lawsuits. She's tricky though, and I have come to learn that she's learned the system.
Since January when this all started I have come to find out that she was indeed evicted from her last place. She moved into my place on 2/17/10. Her last landlord didn't file for eviction till 2/23 - tenant knew it was coming and skipped out before hand. So, when I checked it was there yet. She owe's them over $7,000. She was arrested last May for writing bad checks and again 2 days before I filed for eviction for identity fraud - felony charges. When I called her work in January to try to reach her, I was informed she no longer worked there. She claims she's been on disability...for what, I have no clue. And the best part - she was a FINANCIAL consultant. Oh yeah, and when I went over to my house in January to find out what was going on (no response to letter, phone calls, texts etc.) Her FATHER (ya know the one that died) answers the door. The mother and father have been living there all along!

Good news is, I did go by there today before I was going to head down to the courthouse and waste more $ on this witch. Her father answered the door, the foyer was full of boxes and he told me they would be out of there today!!!! YIPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
This has been a learning process for sure. At least now I know how the process is, hopefuly I'll never have to do this again.

I am having a terrible time with my landlord. I have tried to be the best tenant possible, I pay my rent on time every time. Trouble is, this person is very slow to fix major things (Dead animal in the air-ducts) and most recently a tornado came through the neighborhood (April 16) and it took until May 23rd to actually come out and see the damage. And only after I sent him a notice of intent to leave. I gave him a six week notice and said that i would pay for the entire last month, but be out by the middle so he can prepare the house for someone else. He then said that I am going to pay for an additional 3 months, So I said, well, I will stay that long b/c that is when the lease ends. He then said that he has plans to list the house for sale and needs that time to get it ready. What can i do that is best for both of us. He won't budge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 PM

162 posts, read 729,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiniki1972 View Post
I am having a terrible time with my landlord. I have tried to be the best tenant possible, I pay my rent on time every time. Trouble is, this person is very slow to fix major things (Dead animal in the air-ducts) and most recently a tornado came through the neighborhood (April 16) and it took until May 23rd to actually come out and see the damage. And only after I sent him a notice of intent to leave. I gave him a six week notice and said that i would pay for the entire last month, but be out by the middle so he can prepare the house for someone else. He then said that I am going to pay for an additional 3 months, So I said, well, I will stay that long b/c that is when the lease ends. He then said that he has plans to list the house for sale and needs that time to get it ready. What can i do that is best for both of us. He won't budge.

Officially speaking, you should get a lawyer or professional advice, but I know you didn't post on this forum to hear that, so here is my unprofessional, take-at-your-own-risk advice....

First, read the tenant-landlord statutes for the state of NC, you will be able to answer a lot of your questions. Believe it or not, most of the laws are crafted with the tenant in mind.

Second, read your lease... I don't think there is a legal statute for giving notice to break a lease, so that provision would need to be in the lease itself. If it isn't, it doesn't matter how much notice you give the landlord, you are still technically breaking the lease if you leave. Therefore, you are still obligated to pay rent until the end of the lease term or until the landlord finds a new tenant.

From my understanding, if you haven't documented your issues in writing and sent them to your landlord (and kept copies for yourself for proof), a court could frown upon that. You can't just pick up and leave unless the place is deemed uninhabitable, which is something you would have to prove should the landlord sue you for back rent/damages. OTOH, he absolutely cannot ask you to leave so he can ready the house for sale AND charge you rent... that is just silly.

So... if you think you have a case, bail out and leave and see if he takes you to court. If he doesn't, you are good... then you would have to decide if you want to fight for your deposit

Old 05-26-2011, 08:08 PM

385 posts, read 890,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiniki1972 View Post
1. Put your repair request in writing to the landlord and keep a copy.
2. If he still does not address the problem call code enforcement. You can go to charmeck.org and get their contact info. If your complaint is warranted they will issue a violation and a deadline for the repairs to be completed.
3. Go to the Courthouse uptown on the 2nd Floor where Small Claims are and ask to file an "Abatement of Rent". This means you do not have to pay rent as long as they repairs aren't made.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:48 AM

18 posts, read 92,852 times
I gave my last tenant from hell an excellent reference. I wanted her out of my place and it worked. Without that good reference, I think she would still be living in my place and working the eviction system in her favor. Good riddance.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:43 AM

57 posts, read 134,782 times
As a financial consultant with un-great credit in the US due to lack of history I'd just like to say not to tar us all with the same brush! And if I am a few days late on the rent I WOULD pay when I remember/get reminded! So - if/when my application lands on your doorstep don't be hasty

Old 03-23-2012, 09:26 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrushills View Post
I gave my last tenant from hell an excellent reference. I wanted her out of my place and it worked. Without that good reference, I think she would still be living in my place and working the eviction system in her favor. Good riddance.

You should be ashamed of yourself for doing something like that. If you would have done things the right way, the new landlord wouldn't be graced with your former troubles. You are part of the problem. No, you are the problem when it comes to finding decent tenants.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:

Kinda like making a deal with the devil isn't it? Just curious...if the new LL called you on the phone directly, would you repeat to him what you said in the letter of referrence?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:44 AM

18 posts, read 92,852 times
Im sorry you were offended. It's all about me. Have you ever watched the Shark Tank?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:57 PM

748 posts, read 1,771,565 times
Quote:
Im sorry you were offended. It's all about me. Have you ever watched the Shark Tank?
Wow. I hope karma is real. I really do.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:45 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,963 times
Quote:
I hope this is a joke...that is just plain dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte